Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MR MURRAY - WHO EXACTLY IS SELECTING THESE PLAYERS ???????

Come on, there is a lot we as fans don't need to know other than through curiosity.

But our players are being sold in what appears to be a flash sale, and being replaced with fringe unknowns from other parts of Roland's empire.

So who is deciding who is being sent here ?

Because it sure as hell isn't our current manager

Come on Mr Murray, you're the chairman, the public face of all this. Who is making the decision on these new arrivals ?

It's not Powell and it won't be RD directly, so who is it ? Someone in the club ? Someone elsewhere ? Whoever is lined up as the next manager ?

Is the expectation on whoever is manager to simply work with whatever they are given from the fringes of Rolands second tier empire and no real say on who comes and goes, or is this the work of whoever is the next manager ?

We appear to be doing a whole summer transition in 2-3 days.

Some clarity on what the hell is going on with our club is desperately needed. Not some point in the future, pretty much now.

Comments

• Isn't Murray at the Fans Forum meeting tonight?
  • apparently so. I hope it is used widely.
  • It's worth bearing in mind that Richard Murray no longer has shares in the club. He will know only what Roland Duchatelet has decided to tell him, and is in no position to demand answers. I very much doubt he is looking forward to the meeting tonight, but he won't bottle it because he has never done so.
  • All sales and acquisitions are being dealt with via the club's newly-appointed representative, Mr E Bay.
  • Have to agree it's not clear who is making the decisions on players. No way is it RD we've heard from fans in Belgium he doesn't have a clue about the football side of things.
  • i think the Sporting Director and Avram have a sheet of paper on a map of Europe they take it in turn to wear a blind fold and pin the transfer on the map------------hooray we have a goalkeeper from Malta who dosnt cost feck all. Its a winner.
  • It's worth bearing in mind that Richard Murray no longer has shares in the club. He will know only what Roland Duchatelet has decided to tell him, and is in no position to demand answers. I very much doubt he is looking forward to the meeting tonight, but he won't bottle it because he has never done so.

If that is the case then considering he has put himself forward in the "Meet the Board" video as the fan-facing member of the board and that his title is Chairman (even if it is non-exec) then he himself is arguably in a position as untenable as Powell.

I don't believe that ignorance is an excuse from Murray in this instance.

I also expect a wall of silence or heavily sanitised report from the meeting tonight.

We want our Charlton back.
  • It's worth bearing in mind that Richard Murray no longer has shares in the club. He will know only what Roland Duchatelet has decided to tell him, and is in no position to demand answers.

So the Chairman of the company potentially hasn't got a clue about the most important aspects of his company, nor is he in a position to ask questions about it ?

Is that what you are saying ?

• He may not know but as the players are the biggest asset of the business he should be asking,

Simple questions :
    1) is he in the know re the players(asset) transfer situations ? yes or no
    2) Does he agree with the IMMEDIATE strategy ? yes or no
  • Perhaps we should all email the club to register our dissatisfaction - but to whom should we send it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dan great post

I watched a thing on opta the other day very insightful I didn't realise how many leagues how many players and what programmes it run

And how every club signed up to ithinks its a god send

Its like having a european scouting team at your fingers and RD has a man or team somewhere making the judgements based on this info and then powelly looks at 3 or 4 player options and then says this one please

Maybe RD said to powelly this is how I do things do you want to work this way as regardless if you say yes or no it is the way the club will be run

I want scp to be our man forever you know that and there has been many rumours a deal is on the table to be signed

Not saying this is fact but is more common now in clubs maybe its how its happening here
  • It looks like Prothero has been upping his air miles account recently.
  • It's worth bearing in mind that Richard Murray no longer has shares in the club. He will know only what Roland Duchatelet has decided to tell him, and is in no position to demand answers.

So the Chairman of the company potentially hasn't got a clue about the most important aspects of his company, nor is he in a position to ask questions about it ?

Is that what you are saying ?
    To be fair it is not unusual for non execs to have limited information. I said at the time that Murray was a figurehead for RD's business. As a fan he must be as disturbed as we are about what is going on. However unlike us the fans he can demand answers and whilst RD does not have to give them, then Murray should, to retain credibility, resign.
  • Shall we call it a Football carry on, or Carry On Football ?
  • I have no idea who is selecting these players but if they're signing a young striker who Benfica were interested in, then they're obviously doing something right.
  • I was sure that RM said in the player interview that he was given Chairman's role because he knew the other 91 club chairman? I presumed he would therefore have some role in transfers or would that be Prothero's sole responsibilty?
  • Absolute farce of a club
  • With the average managerial tenure being approximately one season (Powell is the 9th longest serving of the 92), then the long-term interests of a club are likely best served by indeed imposing players on the manager rather than the other way around. This assumes obviously that the player selection process is well-managed via a deep scouting network, strong negotiators etc.

Ideally the process would be highly collaborative with the manager consulted at every stage, but consultation does not imply the manager wielding ultimate influence and perhaps rightly so.
  • wow you are spitting your dummy out today smudge
  • To me it is crystal clear who is bringing in and selling the players .. The New Owner .. CAFC is now a mere cog in his European venture .. Powell will go along until the season's end as he is not a quitter .. Murray ? .. he who pays the piper calls the tune .. or less obtusely, Murray is RD's front office man
  • Sponsored links:

• I think RM is there as a friendly recognisable face to us fans whilst quite a major overhaul of the club is taking place. His role is non exec and the decisions being made at quite some speed by the look of things are obviously not going through him.

We knew when RD took the helm that upheaval was inevitable and I don't see why some people are so shocked. Bumpy ride yes. Enjoyable who knows. Still advocate waiting before we jump to conclusions.
  • edited January 2014

With the average managerial tenure being approximately one season (Powell is the 9th longest serving of the 92), then the long-term interests of a club are likely best served by indeed imposing players on the manager rather than the other way around. This assumes obviously that the player selection process is well-managed via a deep scouting network, strong negotiators etc.

Ideally the process would be highly collaborative with the manager consulted at every stage, but consultation does not imply the manager wielding ultimate influence and perhaps rightly so.

We are going off track, but that would be applying some form of formulaic Moneyball approach which doesn't take any consideration into place of how a dressing room in a team sport actually works. It is effectively playing Football Manager for real and taking no considerations into character, make up of squad, relationship with team mates, manager, respect, cammeraderie etc.

A successful football squad is never one purely based on individual stats and scout reports, it goes much further than that.

Even so, the question still remains on who it is who is choosing to send all these players here (which it seems to be suggested even the Chairman doesn't know).

• edited January 2014

With the average managerial tenure being approximately one season (Powell is the 9th longest serving of the 92), then the long-term interests of a club are likely best served by indeed imposing players on the manager rather than the other way around. This assumes obviously that the player selection process is well-managed via a deep scouting network, strong negotiators etc.

We are going off track, but that would be applying some form of formulaic Moneyball approach which doesn't take any consideration into place of how a dressing room in a team sport actually works. It is effectively playing Football Manager for real and taking no considerations into character, make up of squad, relationship with team mates, manager, respect, cammeraderie etc.

A successful football squad is never one purely based on individual stats and scout reports, it goes much further than that.

Even so, the question still remains on who it is who is choosing to send all these players here (which it seems to be suggested even the Chairman doesn't know).

It may be simplistic but the other more common extreme (whereby a manager is given near complete autonomy) suffers from a fundamental (mis) alignment of interests problem. At a mid-sized club like Charlton, if the manager is no good he will leave (ie be sacked) and if he is good then he will leave (ie be poached). Sometimes he will be good and still be sacked!

There must be a sensible middle ground - maybe Roland is trying to find it. I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt; he is likely to be more intelligent than any of us on here.
  • Addickted said:

It looks like Prothero has been upping his air miles account recently.

I thought he went when the old board did?

• DRF said:

Addickted said:

No, he left the board but he is employed
  • Chizz said:

All sales and acquisitions are being dealt with via the club's newly-appointed representative, Mr E Bay.

And his Belgium counterpart Mr A Mazon.

Based on what? the owner / staff making decisions? players out of contract who may not have been offered another being sold / let go? Putting money into the Club? Getting players in who we might not normally of attracted? Not sure I understand this AFKA......puts on bullet proof vest :)

• I have no idea who is selecting these players but if they're signing a young striker who Benfica were interested in, then they're obviously doing something right.

DRF said:

Addickted said:

No, he left the board but he is employed
    Full Time prothero?

Based on what? the owner / staff making decisions? players out of contract who may not have been offered another being sold / let go? Putting money into the Club? Getting players in who we might not normally of attracted? Not sure I understand this AFKA......puts on bullet proof vest :)

Its difficult to know at the moment, AFKA could well be right, but we need the dust to settle. maybe Murray at the Fans Forum will reveal some calming information tonight

Good to hear what is said, PM's will be greatfully expected from those in the know, if anyone becomes enlightened.
  • edited January 2014
    i guess its a question of asking a support base who have been through thick and thin to take a deep breath and trust in RD`s judgment. we know that he fancies himself as knowledgeable at football...he is seeking a new direction.

standard liege hated him at first, some still do but he improved their on-pitch fortunes no end.

to my count we have now secured;

the 4th or 5th rated french keeper
    promising young french right back
    ball playing swedish midfielder
    impish winger for the development squad with the best name in football :)
    and the marquee signing so far...proven international goalscorer. before anyone says Iran are mugs, there are no mugs in the world cup these days. they beat south korea, and we are all aware of some quality korean players who have made it in the prem.

its a brave new world but one to be excited about IMO.