Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

what must powell be thinking?

Having his hand picked league winning squad dismantled and sold off player by player and sent over a load of unknown crap to work with!
Can't see him still in charge come Saturday
Must be ready to walk?

Comments

• Options
    We'll find out in about 15-20mins
  • Options
    I actually think he's too loyal to walk. Expect he'll be here till the end of the season.
  • Options
    Copying this from anther thread because I think it's relevant:

"We've got our Charlton back"

This seems a long time ago now.

Powell was let down by the old owners, and continues to be let down now. The same for us fans.

I can see no positives in the way we are going. The dressing room will be totally gone now. Our best players are being sold (the fault with this lies mostly at the old owners door) and a load of players that the manager has no knowledge of are being shipped in. What chance does Powell have? If he doesn't play these players he'll be shipped out, if he does what will the players he brought in think?

I don't want to see Charlton becoming a standing place for a group of randomly collected players with no affection for the team that ultimately will benefit another club. We are losing our identity. It sounds dramatic but it's the truth. What good can come of this?
  • Options
    he must be picking 2/3 differant teams with no idea what to say to those left behind or an actual starting 11-----what the atmosphere at Sparrows must be like at the moments is anyones guess --------dark i would think.

how about the new players how does CP introduce em ? do the speak English ? where the f__K do they play -----its ok someone has a video of them playing on a heath somewhere.

a joke of a club at the moment

i feel sorry for CP and sorry for the fans who we know will still turn up even tho another owner is taking the piss.
  • Options
    I reckon he's probably fired up Football Manager to look up the stats of all these new players
  • Options
    His loyalty in putting up with the absurdities he has to deal with is a measure of a man but I have to say that at the moment I have no idea how he can put up with whats going on. The team he assembled and got us promoted is being dismantled in front of his eyes and being re-assembled with a load of untested players he will have had no say in signing. If he doesn't feel undermined by that to the point where he is on the cusp of resigning then I would be amazed.
  • Options
    CP may well be rebuilding a team .....lets wait and see ....lets keep glass half full .....
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

CP may well be rebuilding a team .....lets wait and see ....lets keep glass half full .....

I can tell you categorically that he is not choosing these players.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Copying this from anther thread because I think it's relevant:

"We've got our Charlton back"

This seems a long time ago now.

Powell was let down by the old owners, and continues to be let down now. The same for us fans.

I can see no positives in the way we are going. The dressing room will be totally gone now. Our best players are being sold (the fault with this lies mostly at the old owners door) and a load of players that the manager has no knowledge of are being shipped in. What chance does Powell have? If he doesn't play these players he'll be shipped out, if he does what will the players he brought in think?

I don't want to see Charlton becoming a standing place for a group of randomly collected players with no affection for the team that ultimately will benefit another club. We are losing our identity. It sounds dramatic but it's the truth. What good can come of this?

One of Powell's key strengths is man management, if he can go with the flow perhaps he will see it as an exciting challenge?
  • Options
    Get training out of the way quickly so he can get home in time for Loose Women
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Loyalty can only go so far.

I honestly think he should walk and tell the owner to get on with it if there's no contract on the table.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Loyalty can only go so far.

I honestly think he should walk and tell the owner to get on with it if there's no contract on the table.

He loves the club. It's that simple.
  • Options

I'd imagine he feels like a guy who's married to the love of his life, yet is fully aware she's putting it uabout behind his back. He knows he should end it and they're on borrowed time, yet he'll cling on out of loyalty and love, hoping the situation will somehow change.

I feel this will be in the divorce courts by May and Chris will realise he's a bit of a catch and there's plenty of more attractive suitors out there for him.................

Well put

• Options
    This is what he's thinking:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    CP: Reza Ghoochannejhad is signed and completed. We hope to add to that in the next couple of days #cafc
    CP: He's scored goals at different levels in Belgium and Holland and he's signed permanently #cafc
    CP: We've made phone calls for players so we're hoping there'll be more movement. But these things take time #cafc
    CP: There were a number of issues at Doncaster. It wasn't right from start to finish but we wipe it from the memory
    CP: Solly has had a setback. He's desperate to play but we don't want to rush him
    CP: There's no rush to have him back. Whatever it takes to get him fit and healthy, that's all we want for him
    CP: Joe Pigott may be leaving on loan to League One. Waiting to cross the T's and dot the I's #cafc

Doesn't exactly sound suicidal.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What managers say to the press and what they actually think are two very different things :)
  • Options
    He is hardly going to stand up and say 'the owner is going behind my back, I am being forced to sell my best players and I am fed up' is he?!
  • Options
    CP: I want the fans to know we're battling hard and doing the best we can. We need their support #cafc
    — Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial)

Doesn't sound like a guy who's had enough and is about to walk out.
  • Options

CP: I want the fans to know we're battling hard and doing the best we can. We need their support #cafc
    — Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial)

Doesn't sound like a guy who's had enough and is about to walk out.

But sounds like he knows the fans are on the turn!

fug me I'm depressed.
  • Options
    I think signing strikers was obviously key especially if Yann does go, but we still need a winger/wingers and a CM to replace Stephens if he leaves. Does anyone agree?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not so sure CP is a down and out as we all think he is, this hand picked promotion squad we talk of is also the "basically the same squad as we had in Div 1 and not good enough" when we loose 2 on the trot. We will have a clearer picture by the weekend and players may not bed in straight away giving us problems but there is no doubt we were looking stale even with our cult heros like Yann involved.

we have been flirting with the bottom three for months now and we all screamed for investment, it looks like what we have got is change and other than our own view on CP's state of mind no indication that he is going anywhere.

does it beat years of not even featuring in the transfer deadline drama, I am not sure but its going to be an *exciting/depressing/suicidal/overconfident/underwhelmed/worried/ecstatic 36 hours
    *delete where appropriate.

COYA

• Options
    Two big questions for me. Are the players coming in from RD's camp better than what we have? Is Powell able to gel them into an effective team quick enough to get us up the table before we drop?
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

jdsd42 said:

So you have inside knowledge? You know for fact that powell has not chosen any of these players?
  • Options
    I think CP knows what is going on and is part of the package. He may welcome the support he's getting from RD in building a team because, let's face it, he's had none of that for the past two years. Exciting times me thinks.
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:

Rob62 said:

jdsd42 said:

So you have inside knowledge? You know for fact that powell has not chosen any of these players?
    Yes
    Rob said:

I think CP knows what is going on and is part of the package. He may welcome the support he's getting from RD in building a team because, let's face it, he's had none of that for the past two years. Exciting times me thinks.

I think you are clutching at straws
  • Options
    I hope that his mind is on Saturday's game .. at the end of the (clichéd) day, THIS is what he is paid for .. preparing teams to succeed in football matches
  • Options
    Just watched him on Player and imho he didn't look very happy. Said the right things, but wasn't convincing.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    He looks bemused! As we all are. (Well most of us).

• Options
    to be honest if all this transfer BS hadnt been happening CP shouldnt look "happy" 3rd from bottom and a new owner ! pressure enough without all this 11th hour brinkmanship transfer crap and trying to prepare for what always would be a difficult away game.

If he was laughing id be more worried.