Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you in Englands Next friendly?

Pick David Beckham,is he on 99 caps?If he is I would give him the honour of 100 caps,he has always given his all for England,more than could be said for a lot of others.Lat night proved when he applauded the fans at the end when every other tosser had left the field,he cares.Let's reward him.

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Pick David Beckham,is he on 99 caps?If he is I would give him the honour of 100 caps,he has always given his all for England,more than could be said for a lot of others.Lat night proved when he applauding the fans at the end when every other tosser had left the field,he cares.Let's reward him.
    And make him captain, he was a good captain and was only dropped to make a statement. Shows how much a joke decision it was when Campbell, James, heskey and Becks himself were brought back.

I like David, i like him a lot.
  • my heart would say yes, did any one notice that when he came on he rook a free kick that hit there wall and went out for a corner he sprinted over to take it, the only one who looked like he had some urgency.

but i think if a new manager is in place for the freindly in feb then it is time to look forward.
  • I would give him his 100th cap then look to overhaul the midfield in the subsequent matches. England need a manager that is willing to forget reputations and find a midfield that has cohesion and ability, sadly yesterdays did not.
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]I would give him his 100th cap then look to overhaul the midfield in the subsequent matches. England need a manager that is willing to forget reputations and find a midfield that has cohesion and ability, sadly yesterdays did not.
    Who would you have in the midfield that are any better than the current lot?

The majority of England's goals in the last tournament and the recent games have come from Beckham's passes/free kicks etc. It's a strength and we should have played to it more consistently. That's not based on reputation, it's based on proven ability at international level.
  • I was one of the biggest "Beckham out" people after the last World Cup but having seen what else we have available I think we should keep him aboard as one of the few even half decent players we have got.

Even at 34 he will be useful to have around the place especially when there are so many other changes that need to be made although if Mourinho gets the job then it will be all over for Beckham.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted
    The majority of England's goals in the last tournament and the recent games have come from Beckham's passes/free kicks etc. It's a strength and we should have played to it more consistently. That's not based on reputation, it's based on proven ability at international level.[/quote]

I think we relay too much on Beckham, he has a great range of pass and is deadly on free kicks but doesn't offer a lot else. Abonglahor is a useful winger and I think him and Ashley young will offer us a lot on the flanks, we need people who can run up and down and keep the ball. Wallcott plays a useful role for Arsenal wide right, give him a chance. I just don't see how we can improve with Beckham, Cole, Lampard and Gerrard in the midfield, it just doesn't work.......well it didn't under Steve MaClaren anyway!
  • To accomodate players like Gerrard, Lampard and Cole you need a grafter or spoiler type of player involved. That's why Ince and Gascoigne worked. Same with Barry and Gerrard, Same with Chelsea with Essien, Makelele and Lampard. Same with Liverpool having to play Alonso and Sissoko behing Gerrard. And with us when we played Kish and Smertin behind Murphy.

The problem with a midfield of Cole, Lampard, Gerrard and Beckham is there is no real width and no balance.
  • That wasn't the question people,I asked would you give him that 100th cap.Please answer,Thanks.
  • I'll play Beckham in Paris to get the 100th cap, plus have him in the squad as a older head.

But by September 08, when the WC qualifiers start, I would hope the team would look like this

Carson
    Richards Ferdinand Terry Cole
    Hargreaves Carrick
    Walcott Rooney Agbonlahor
    Ashton
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'll play Beckham in Paris to get the 100th cap, plus have him in the squad as a older head.

But by September 08, when the WC qualifiers start, I would hope the team would look like this

Carson
    Hargreaves Carrick
    Ashton[/quote]

How can you drop fat Frank after his world class performances for England over the last couple of years????
  • Sponsored links:

• As much as I hate David Beckham the public narcissistic character, I think when he pulls on an England or a club shirt he invariably does his best, often he tries too hard but undeniably he wears the shirt with pride.

He deserves his 100th cap, in all reality it is meaningless, just a number but make him captain for the day and then retire him after to make a few more tens of millions for his old age - he has to spend it with Posh Spice after all.
  • We've got nearly a year now until our next competitive game, so yes I'd give Beckham his 100th cap... none of the games will matter anyway
  • Beckham will win his 100th cap, when England play USA in Los Angeles, next summer.

4-5-1 at home, long balls up to the big centre forward, who heads it on to no-one. Was Curbs in charge?

Why take off Barry and not Lampard? Barry and Gerrard have worked well in the last few games.

At 2-2, should he have bought Hargreaves on to protect the back four?

What a mess. Lets see who they bring in next.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]That wasn't the question people,I asked would you give him that 100th cap.Please answer,Thanks.

Sorry

Yes I would give him the cap and keep him in the squad as long as he is fit
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Carson
    Hargreaves Carrick
    Ashton
    Excellent team Rothko.

I would give Beckham his 100th cap, he deserves it.
  • definately deserves it, yes give him his 100th cap. I'd keep him in the squad as long as he's fit. How many set pieces were wasted in that first half last night, free kicks around 40 yards out which were crying out for a decent delivery.

His cross for Crouch's goal was absolutely top drawer if you watch it closely, terrific skill.
  • Beckham wears the shirt with pride, always has done. Despite his off-field antics (more to do with the wife) he has always given 100% to England when he can. His class showed with that amazing cross to Crouch.

Keep him involved, give him a coaching role, get him ready to take over as head coach for Brazil 2014.
  • need to start fresh, we lakck pace all over the pitch at the moment

carson
    richards
    terry
    rio
    cole
    swp
    hargreaves
    gerrard
    a.young
    rooney
    agbonlahor
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'll play Beckham in Paris to get the 100th cap, plus have him in the squad as a older head.

Carson
    Hargreaves Carrick
    Ashton

Carrick! So so overated in MVHO

Not sure about Aston either - still got something to prove in my mind but not a bad side. Trouble is unless they sing the national anthem then they are rubbish.

And yes, keep Beckham in the squad. He is still one of the best 22 players in the country and let him have a 100th cap as and when. He is proof that all the talk about income, celebrity, fast cars, etc, etc is meaningless. He has it all but has never played, to my eyes, without effort and a good attitude. He has played poorly and when injured but that is not the same as not trying.

Last night I thought the players were actually trying too hard. All effort and no brain but that is the up and at 'em english style that brought Keegan so much success with England.

Just like Alf Ramsey and he touchline shouting and ranting and shouting the anthem won us the world cup in 1966.
  • Yes Steve I would give him the 100th cap and keep him around the squad going into the 08 qualifiers, even if he doesn't play. I think Owen, if fit, will go onto win 100 as well. His record is second to none as an Englishman still.
  • Sponsored links:

• yes deffo. Deserves it.

why he didnt start on wednesday i dont know and i'm not one of his biggest fans but we needed his experience. fecking madness.
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'll play Beckham in Paris to get the 100th cap, plus have him in the squad as a older head.

Carson
    Hargreaves Carrick
    Ashton

Carrick! So so overated in MVHO

Not sure about Aston either - still got something to prove in my mind but not a bad side. Trouble is unless they sing the national anthem then they are rubbish.

And yes, keep Beckham in the squad. He is still one of the best 22 players in the country and let him have a 100th cap as and when. He is proof that all the talk about income, celebrity, fast cars, etc, etc is meaningless. He has it all but has never played, to my eyes, without effort and a good attitude. He has played poorly and when injured but that is not the same as not trying.

Last night I thought the players were actually trying too hard. All effort and no brain but that is the up and at 'em english style that brought Keegan so much success with England.

Just like Alf Ramsey and he touchline shouting and ranting and shouting the anthem won us the world cup in 1966.

In 1966 Ramsey didn't need to shout because the players actually gave a sh** as epitomised by Alan Ball who ran himself into the ground.

To answer the question yes I probably would.