Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Celtic Cup agreed "in principal"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7114148.stm

[i]Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have agreed "in principle" to play a series of three biennial "Celtic Cup" tournaments.
An agreement signed on Monday commits the countries to arranging the tournaments on a league basis.

Home and away games will be rotated from one tournament to the next with each team playing three matches in each of the competitions.

Last week England distanced themselves from involvement in the tournament.

Commercial arrangements and fixture dates are now being finalised. [/i]

England distanced themselves from involvement = we want to play meaningless but highly profitable friendlies instead so we can buy some new umbrellas and blazers plus the expenses and perks on those trips to the Middle East are better than Cardiff or Belfast.

Comments

• This, to me is where the FA is wrong, they think that winning the Champions league is bigger and better for clubs and fans but you ask the fans they would reather be champions of England rather than Europe, (well Liverpool fans to name a few)
    And I suspect the FA think the same here, 'The fans would rather see us play Argentina, brazil, and Mexico in a meaningless tournament now that we have fcuked up' Balls I say, rather see the home nations any day of the week, least it would mean something.
  • Saw some hilarious comments that were spot on from Mickey Thomas here:
    http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/footballnation/football-in-wales/2007/11/25/wales-angry-at-england-s-home-nations-bid-91466-20157057/
  • Meanwhile the BBC calls the Celtic Cup the St. Johnstone's Paint Trophy of international football.

Most people seem to be agreed that there is too much football played and that the players aren't playing enough matches against European teams or even playing in foreign leagues. How is a Home Nations/Celtic Cup tournament going to improve the skills of the footballers involved, or the coaches and enable the teams to play better against non-British teams either in Europe or further afield?
  • F**k the Celts...;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]F**k the Celts...;-)

Bit harsh on your Scottish and Ulster mates but whatever you say
  • To be honest if England went into this how many of our players would get a touch of the David Bentley's & be too tired to play ?
  • Apparently they aren't celts anyway, they are Ancient Britons, hasn't this been proved by genetic studies. The Celts were a distinct european ethnic group.
  • Celts were originally from around Switzerland I believe...
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]F**k the Celts...;-)

Bit harsh on your Scottish and Ulster mates but whatever you say

As in, Fail, fail the Celts are here...;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]To be honest if England went into this how many of our players would get a touch of the David Bentley's & be too tired to play ?

They would if we were playing friendlies against anyone, drop them if they are too tired for a few semi-competitive friendly matches then find someone who isn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• darwin might dispute that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]Celts were originally from around Switzerland I believe...

Bavaria :-)
  • edited November 2007
    Don't know what all the fuss and bother is. I think the reaction to England's non-participation is about how it makes us look like we're sticking two fingers up at the rest rather than for footballing reasons. Anyway, those four have done a pretty good job of alientaing England by calling it the Celtic Cup.

Playing Scotland, Wales, NI and Eire every year, even in a so-called competitive environment WILL NOT automatically guarantee the improvement of the England team (which is after all the reason this is suddenly such a hot topic).

Since March, we've played Germany, Brazil,and Austria and we're playing France in March 2008. Austria asidethese are world class teams (although Austria are not the worst in the world by any stretch), if the games were given some kind of competitive edge and there was something play for it might just raise the bar and there would be more value in these than any game against one of the home countries. It works in cricket - every test/ODI game/series is about winning something and you don't see anything less than 100% every time.

All a home international-style tournament is about is about nationalism and bragging rights - not wanting to disrespect any of the home nations but give me bragging rights over Germany, France or Brazil any day.
  • Personally I'm pleased we ain't involved, but that's just my view.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Personally I'm pleased we ain't involved, but that's just my view.
    agreed , waste of time imo.... the home nations were good at the time but a thing of the past...