Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Whyte

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
On the journey back from an away match Charlton stop to buy some fish and chips. Charlton Athletic were a financially tightly run club at this time, and the players were asked to pay for the fish and chips themselves. David Whyte refused and demanded the club pay for his, whilst all other players chipped in. This caused some consternation within the team, and eventually the board paid for his fish and chips. Garry Nelson's description of this incident hints at what the squad and more importantly Alan Curbishley thought of the player, talented but difficult and not a team player. [citation needed] Once David Whyte suffered his loss of form, his contribution to the team was negligible and his work ethic more apparent. An exceptionally talented player, who even when the goals and form dried up offered some excitement for the Charlton fans in a period of anemic attack for the Athletic.

Comments

• Lot more to the David Whyte story then that, and by accounts he ended up in a pretty bad way
  • and are you related whyte5864?
  • I can see some of our current players going the same way....
  • Great bit in Curbs book about him and Gritt popping round some massive block of flats as Whyte hadn't shown up for training, to find him asleep in bed with a crate of beer bottles on the doorstep. A world away from some of the players nowadays...

Also remeber in Nelsons book about Whyte smashing a window becuase he was asked to collect the bibs.
  • Someone should have smacked him
  • nah not related! jus shows how far the club has come from not being able to afford fish and chips at one point lol
  • I knew David a little at primary school, nice lad deep down but from a 'troubled' background (would be my opinion) if asked. Bit of a tragedy that he couldn't make it as a player with all that talent.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Someone should have smacked him
    i'm sure there was plenty of smack flying about

allegedely
  • CommentAuthorRothko CommentTime1 hour ago permalinkquoteblock userblock comment
    Lot more to the David Whyte story then that, and by accounts he ended up in a pretty bad way

Go on then Mr Fountain of Knowledge, tell us more....
  • I cant reveal my source, but this is a true story, when Charlton played Newcastle in the FA Cup replay, just before half time, Whyte smashed a free kick over and had an agruement with Brendan O'Connell, as the half time whistle went, both players ran to the changing room and proceeded to kick to the shit out if each in which ended in Whyte in a bad way, and not appearing the second half, towls were needed to mop the blood up in the shower area, and this has come from a top top source
  • Sponsored links:

• WSSWSS
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]I cant reveal my source, but this is a true story, when Charlton played Newcastle in the FA Cup replay, just before half time, Whyte smashed a free kick over and had an agruement with Brendan O'Connell, as the half time whistle went, both players ran to the changing room and proceeded to kick to the shit out if each in which ended in Whyte in a bad way, and not appearing the second half, towls were needed to mop the blood up in the shower area, and this has come from a top top source
    i can't believe that nobody stepped in
  • He's turned it round now though and is doing very well for himself as a director of the club
  • They did, but if you read the start, they both ran down the tunnel to have a go at each other before anyone else got in the changing room, and had a ruck, not saying all the players and staff were standing there watching it like a back street fight, but they had a good row
  • Curbs had everyone in a big circle going 'FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT'

:-)
  • Like a scene from Snatch
  • He really looked the real deal after we signed him. There were rumours at the time that he wasn't popular with the Nigels. He seemed the sort of player Curbs liked. Feeling hard done by with something to prove everybody wrong. Seems his chip was more permanently cemented on his shoulder than Curbs thought. Small wonder he got the deep freeze treatment from Curbs once things started to slide.

Where is he now? Anyone know?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Curbs had everyone in a big circle going 'FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT'

:-)

funny that cos I heard Curbs was shouting "A G , A G R , A G R O , AGRO!
  • we had chris whyte aswell, anyone know if they were related?