Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who are our best and worst loan signings?????

We have had some great loan signings and some real poor ones....... My favourite was Jorge 'the tank' Costa and my least favourite was Jonathan Spector ( I know there is a lot worse than him, but I thought coming from Man u he would be good, but was poor)

Comments

• Two from 82/83

Alan MacDonald from QPR as the best ?

Nigel Gray from Orient the worst?
  • Alex Song was a great loan signing.
  • Smertin was pretty good too
  • Danny Mills for that deliberate sending off so he could have a Christmas break.
  • What's interesting is how few loan signings teams used to have, back in the 80s and 90s, you'd maybe have 1 or 2 a season, and a loan signing was quite a novelty.
  • Carson was good
  • Worst... Omouzi / Gillespie / Scott Sinclair

Would include Neil Etherige and Luke Daniels but would be harsh as they never played
  • BEST: John Hendry - Winner at Upton Park vs Millwall 1992 - You can't beat that (although some would argue for Kitson at Palace)

WORST: Mike "Mountain of Lard" Small - who lumbered around The New Den in 1993 to no effect whatsoever.
  • we seem to do ok with defenders & midfielders but don't think we have ever had a decent striker on loan.
  • we seem to do ok with defenders & midfielders but don't think we have ever had a decent striker on loan.

David Whyte came on loan in 91/92 and did well but there is not much apart from that - probably because goal-scoring strikers are like gold dust and don't tend to get loaned out!

Looking way, way back was Hans Jeppson on loan?
  • Sponsored links:

• EXCELLENT: Carson, Smertin, Hendry (for THAT goal)

EXCREMENT: Cranie, Ozomusi (sp), Butterfield
  • Best Costa

Worst Tom Hovi
  • edited February 2014
    Worst - Scott Houghton

Best - Jorge Costa, with the two Alan's: McDonald and Kernaghan
  • Am I imagining it or was Bartlett on loan initially?.... if so, he's definitely one of the good ones. Carson was a great loan, Smertin started off well but faded, N'Guessan was just what we needed at the time. Agree that Scott Sinclair and Cranie were poor, plus Lee Cook first time around and that Jonsson guy last season.
  • Haven't seen Johnnie Jackson mentioned yet.
  • Best without doubt, Costa, would walk into most teams.

Worst, Ive seen to many to mention.
  • shirty5 said:

Worst - Scott Houghton

Best - Jorge Costa, with the two Alan's: McDonald and Kernaghan

Good shout for Kernaghan - was it a loan swap with Walsh?

• costa absolutely bril.
    Was Mike Small a loan?
  • Carson only ever loan to win POY. There is so much dross cant even begin to elect a no1 worst. Any from 08/09?

Neil Heaney, despite playing in the play off final when he actually had a decent game, was signed to cover for Robbo and was actually pretty toss.
  • Best - Jorge Costa, Scott Carson, David Whyte, Alex Song
    Worst - Dennis Bailey, Mike Small, Jesper Blomqvist, Scott Sinclair

I actually rated that James McEverley from Derby but he didn't last very long before getting injured. Was Tahar El Khalej a loan if so gotta be a Worst.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best - As others have said, costa and Carsopn
    Worst: El-Khalej put in performances that made Amdy Faye seem like Claude Makelele
  • Definitely Martin Cranie for me. Some of the comedians like El-Khalej and Egg were tested and discarded soon after they showed they weren't up to it. Cranie however lasted 19 games, and he was miserable in every single one of them. I never saw him have a game I would consider good as we slipped down the table, and his most memorable moment was a calamitous own goal. Cranie stinks of Pardew and I see him as a figurehead for that horrible last place season. I'm not bitter though..
  • I agree cranie was poor
  • Scott Carson was a great loan, no doubt. But him walking straight into the team caused an almighty goalkeeping crisis shortly after. Deano had gone but we already had two decent keepers in Mhrye and Andersen, this is bearing in mind Carson was always going to go back to Liverpool at the end of the season. Mhrye and Andersen both said, 'Sod this, I'm off', and before you know it we've got Nicky bloody Weaver between the sticks.
  • Carson only ever loan to win POY. There is so much dross cant even begin to elect a no1 worst. Any from 08/09?

Neil Heaney, despite playing in the play off final when he actually had a decent game, was signed to cover for Robbo and was actually pretty toss.

That's harsh on Heaney. Not just cos of that game, but he did a job for us on the left for that great run we went on at the end of the season.

Best as others have said is Costa. I would rank Sinclair up at the worst. Not in the sense that he has no talent. But purely when you look at his cv and what he is capable of, it was so disappointing.
  • Frank Nouble was memorable

Derek Hales ?

• Hogan Ephraim
  • Seabourne was pretty pants especially in the home game against Ipswich last season.
  • I remember being consistently disappointed by Carlton Cole.

As others have said, Smertin, Song and Carson were great.