Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top Of The Pops - March 1st 1979 - BBC4 - This evening

First song - The Skids - Into the Valley - Worth a nostalgic watch!

Comments

• I would imagine they have to do some pretty clever editing with old TOTP's. They must shit themselves every time they hear that someone else gets lifted by operation yewtree
  • I am an old poser, but this track is a permanent fixture on "my" jukebox...

I say "my" because the jukebox is the subject of a custody battle more heart-rending than Kramer vs Kramer. :-)
  • That's weird, A_K, I'd always thought it was about the dangers of visiting a particularly lawless area of Dunfermline known locally as "The Valley". But reading the lyrics, it seems to have a much more military aspect to it. Strange.
  • I always thought it was about the Charge of the light Brigage in the Crimea.
  • I always thought it was about the Charge of the light Brigage in the Crimea.

Was indeed. A in depth critique of the social political situation of the time and its repercussions on soldiery. All to a fuck off superb new wave punk riff...
  • Saw them in the 70's at Camden on same bill as The Members ... great gig.

Seem to recall Jobson saying the song was about Scottish kids joining the British Army.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmk2unpW5TI

Yours truly on backing vocals - Live at the Marquee 1979
  • "Into the valley of death rode the 600"

A line from Tennysons poem The charge of the light brigade

Funny what stuff sticks in your head 30 years after leaving school...................

Funny what stuff sticks in your head 30 years after leaving school...................

Which is a reference to psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
    What the f**k are you talking about? It's taken from gangsta's paradise by coolio.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2014

"Into the valley of death rode the 600"

What the f**k are you talking about? It's taken from gangsta's paradise by coolio.
    Quite right ... one of the best singles ever

I know you are from Kent but surely you know it's "Pastime Paradise" by Stevie Wonder.

PS I did get a phone call from a very helpful chap today called Steve Miller and I was biting my tongue to not say "Do some people call you Maurice?" (old muso joke)
  • To this day, I have no idea what Richard Jobson was 'singing' about, other than "Into the valley". Anyone care to enlighten me? Stuart Adamson, RIP.

Stuart Adamson was one of my all time music heroes, excellent in both The Skids and Big Country. Love to play Big Country loud in the car and have good ole singalong.

Have an old Betamax vid of them performing live at a gig in Scotland. Unfortunately, I have nothing to play it on now :-(

• SHARK!!!!!
  • To this day, I have no idea what Richard Jobson was 'singing' about, other than "Into the valley". Anyone care to enlighten me? Stuart Adamson, RIP.

Stuart Adamson was one of my all time music heroes, excellent in both The Skids and Big Country. Love to play Big Country loud in the car and have good ole singalong.

Have an old Betamax vid of them performing live at a gig in Scotland. Unfortunately, I have nothing to play it on now :-(

Just chosen at random from a Google search - quite cheap really: video99.co.uk/betamax_to_dvd_transfers.html
  • Cheers, cafcfan. I see there's a couple of recorders on Ebay for around £20 might have a look at getting one. They were the Morris Minor in their day.

Into the valley
    Betrothed and divine
    Realisations no virtue
    But who can define
    Why soldiers go marching
    Those masses a line
    This disease is catching
    From victory to stone
    Ahoy! ahoy! land, sea and sky
    Ahoy! ahoy! boy, man and soldier
    Ahoy! ahoy! deceived and then punctured
    Ahoy! ahoy! long may they die
    Out of concealment
    Blank and stark eyed
    Why so uncertain
    This culture deceives
    Prophesised, brainwashed
    Tomorrow's demise
    All systems failing
    The placards unroll
    Ahoy! ahoy! land, sea and sky
    Ahoy! ahoy! boy, man and soldier
    Ahoy! ahoy! deceived and then punctured
    Ahoy! ahoy! long may they die
    Time for the audit
    The gathering trial
    A collector's dilemma
    Repositioned and filed
  • edited March 2014
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Valley

Into the Valley
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Into the Valley" is a 1979 single by Skids, taken off their Scared to Dance album, and is their best known song, appearing on a number of punk rock and Scottish music compilation albums. It reached number 10 in the UK Singles Chart for the week ending 24 March 1979.[1] It was written by Richard Jobson and Stuart Adamson.
    "Into the Valley" is still used as a theme song for fans of Dunfermline Athletic F.C. in the Scottish Premier League and Charlton Athletic F.C. of the English Football League Championship, whose stadium is aptly named The Valley. It was also used in their premiership years by Bradford City A.F.C., whose stadium is named Valley Parade. It's also played as the teams come out at the Valley Stadium, home of Redditch United FC.
    The song's lyrics are notoriously unintelligible owing to Jobson's diction. This has been sent up in a Maxell television advertisement which features printed (incorrect) "translations" of the words.[2] The chorus, often misquoted, is actually "Ahoy, Ahoy, Land, Sea and Sky".
    Richard Jobson has said that the lyrics were written about the recruitment of Scottish youths into the army and more specifically about a friend who had been killed on a tour of duty in Northern Ireland.[3][4]
    Local legend still persists that the valley mentioned is a reference to the village of High Valleyfield, known locally as "the Valley", a village with a reputation for "mini warfare" between its own residents and those of nearby towns and villages (namely Torryburn, Rosyth, Oakley and Inverkeithing), near Skids' home town of Dunfermline.[citation needed]
    The song was covered by street punk band the Street Dogs on their 2008 album State of Grace.
    In 2012 the song was used in a television advertising campaign by the cycle and motoring accessory retailer Halfords.
  • I heard Jobson interviewed about it - he said it was written about local boys from Dunfermline joining the army and getting sent off to Northern Ireland.