Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Benn dead.

edited March 2014 in Not Sports Related
Great man. A RIP from me.

Comments

• Very sad news indeed. RIP.
  • Sad news. Unlike most modern politicians he wasn't afraid to speak the truth.

Loved his Ali G appearance.
  • RIP -

one of the very few politicians who was in the job for the people and not to line his own pockets .

He will be missed.
  • A sad week for "true" Labour. RIP
  • I can't say I agree with all of his views but he could put up persuasive arguments and was passionate about his views. His book "More time for politics" is an excellent read.

One of all too few in politics
  • RIP. Great Politician.
  • He was his own man, many people may not have agreed with his views including many in the Labour Party, but he did not follow 'the pack' he spoke as he found and was a very intelligent man.....yes extremely left wing but he never sold his values, even turning down a peerage as he despised the House of Lords. I wonder how many 'true' politicians we have today?
    RIP Mr Benn

Totally this.

RIP Mr Benn
  • Sponsored links:

• Big loss. R.I.P.
  • Had the pleasure of corresponding with Benn for a while. A committed and genuinely kind individual, whose loyalty to the less fortunate in society was nothing less than admirable.
  • Will miss him. His diaries are a great read.
  • edited March 2014
    The best tub thumper that I have ever heard. It was hard not to get swept along by him as he was immensely charismatic. A principled parliamentarian and the complete antithesis of today's career politicians. He gave up his seat so that he could spend more time on politics, I always loved that along with his self deprecating humour. RIP Big Ben. We will not see your like again.
  • He was his own man, many people may not have agreed with his views including many in the Labour Party, but he did not follow 'the pack' he spoke as he found and was a very intelligent man.....yes extremely left wing but he never sold his values, even turning down a peerage as he despised the House of Lords. I wonder how many 'true' politicians we have today?
    RIP Mr Benn

Well said Red....RIP.
  • Sad loss. Read the abridged diaries a few years ago and they were a great read.
  • A great man and a conviction politician. Rare combination. RIP Tony.
  • A great political character and genuinely nice man, who inevitably was widely misrepresented by much of the media. I can't say I subscribed to his political views and I thought he was a bit bonkers, if I'm honest. But I enjoyed his books and heard him speak a number of times, which was always entertaining. Sad to hear he has gone.
  • RIP. A man of the people. Once had the honour of meeting benn. A politician you could trust.
  • Sponsored links:

• Proper politician with conviction to a cause. RIP
  • Anthony Wedgwood Benn. Great friend of Richard Ingrams, who I worked with for many years. One of life's great tea drinkers.
    RIP.
  • Oh well, on the bright side, the exchequer will benefit greatly from its share of his multi-millions payable in inheritance tax.
    (Because he would have wanted that wouldn't he?)
  • To Anthony Wedgwood Benn (without his permission)

Anthony Wedgwood Benn
    Is one of the bravest of men.
    The worst in life he can fear
    Is ending it as a Peer!

Spike Milligan (without his permission)
  • Good comment redmidland

RIP
  • I think Red Midland puts it better than I could.

Many of his views were too far to the left of my own to agree with, others I have a lot more time for. But whatever your views there's little doubt he spoke from the heart and stuck to his principles even when he must have been under tremendous pressure to toe the party line.

Too few left like Tony sadly.
  • Someone with vision on the left who both communicated and made things happen - like concorde. Extremely intelligent and cordial so no need to rant, I had the pleasure of meeting him (and his son) a few time over the last few years.
    RIP