Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford defender to be deported

According the Beeb. Someone check Marlon King's passport :-)

Bangura loses deportation hearing

Bangura is set to be deported back to Sierra Leone
Watford's Al Bangura faces deportation to Sierra Leone after losing his case to stay in the UK at an Asylum and Immigration Tribunal hearing.
The 19-year-old, who became a father only nine days ago, will launch an immediate appeal against the decision, with the full support of his club.

He arrived from Sierra Leone four years ago, escaping civil war, and was given limited discretionary leave to stay.

But now the Home Office will initiate moves to remove him from the country.

Watford's Head of Football operations Iain Moody said: "This is terrible news for Al and a big shock to everyone at the club.

"We are sad and very disappointed that he has not been granted leave to remain in the UK. We have instructed our advisers to begin preparing an appeal to this decision.

"This is a significant setback for Al and his family but we will continue to fight this case and have full confidence that common sense and justice will prevail and Al will be allowed to continue his life in this country.

"We have been fortunate to count on the support of Watford MP Claire Ward in making representations to the Home Office on Al's behalf and we look forward to continue working with her on this."

Al Bangura has built up his life, having established great ties here, including a family life with his partner and a profession

Bangura fears a return to his homeland, where he could be under threat from the Soko tribe, formerly led by his late father.

Watford manager Aidy Boothroyd had said being sent home would be an "absolute disaster" for Bangura.

And club legal representative Chris Pelentrides insisted there was a compelling case for Bangura to be allowed to stay in the country.

"His compassionate circumstances clearly warrant his continued stay in the United Kingdom," he said.

"He has built up his life, having established great ties here, including a family life with his partner and a profession."

Before the ruling, Watford MP Ward told BBC 3CR: "This is a young man who came to this country under very difficult circumstances and as an under-18.

"He clearly has an incredible talent, which has been spotted, and in that sense he was fortunate.

"He has made a very good life for himself and is a significant contributor to the UK economy and to my local economy as a constituent."

Bangura has made over 50 appearances, scoring one goal, since joining the club in April 2005.

Comments

• So we deport someone who has kept his nose clean, pays taxes and NI and is making a positive contribution to the UK, yet keep people here that sponge off the tax payer..... Utter joke!!

I feel for the lad. Especially as his girlfriend (British passport holder) and he have just had a child who is a British citizen..........
  • edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]So we deport someone who has kept his nose clean, pays taxes and NI and is making a positive contribution to the UK, yet keep people here that sponge off the tax payer..... Utter joke!!

I feel for the lad. Especially as his girlfriend (British passport holder) and he have just had a child who is a British citizen..........

They're trying to deport Hartley Alleyne the former West Indian test cricketer and Kent player who has lived here 30 years, in employment, and coaches cricket in Canterbury.

I've read that 8 in 10 Somalians live on benefits so if we want to deport a few immigrants why not start with them?
  • What a joke,deport the good people and keep the s**t give it a few years and the whole country will be one giant penal colony....i bet the aussies are pissing themselves!
  • The aussies wont be laughing soon as they have just voted in a labour government !!! The flood gates will open.
  • this country is a laughing stock. They'll be deporting me next.
  • Smacks of an attempt to hit targets by going for "easy" targets as opposed to families of Somali's who would have civil rights and PC brigade jumping up and down all over the press
  • crazy like Dan said so many freeloaders here
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]crazy like Dan said so many freeloaders here

We could just cut Liverpool off and float it into the Irish sea?
  • edited December 2007
    it makes me so angry. everybody deserves a chance and hes taken it, what about his child or partner? ive heard about the alleyne case, he gave so much pleasure to many people now works in the area and they want to chuck him out.
  • [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]it makes me so fucking angry. everybody deserves a chance and hes taken it, what about his child or partner? ive heard about the alleyne case, he gave so much pleasure to many people now works in the area and they want to chuck him out.

at the moment Al (Bangura) is supporting his family financially and they are in no way a burden on the state. Deport him and the Country faces years of social security and family benefits pay outs. Where is the sense in this ? The lunatics are well and truely running the asylum.
  • Sponsored links:

• I do think the Home Office are trying to make an example of this case, to prove that anyone can get kicked out. But they've made a dogs dinner of it.
  • sorry to disagree with you all, but he is an illegal, footballer or not and should be deported, despite his attempt to start a family to avoid this.

what message does it send if we let those off who do well here?

I dont suppose you would all support anyone who was a cleaner, why should a footballer be different?
  • And to think i work for these muppets, the whole thing is a fecking shambles!!!
  • you work for Watford?
  • A number of cleaners at Queen Mary's in Sidcup got taken away by Immigration officials in a raid last week.
  • you work for Watford?

I wonder if the wages are any better?
  • Before i started working for Immigration the building i work in had a load of cleaners that got deported!
  • edited December 2007
    www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article722082.ece

Here we go..dodgy cleaners story
  • edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]sorry to disagree with you all, but he is an illegal, footballer or not and should be deported, despite his attempt to start a family to avoid this.

what message does it send if we let those off who do well here?

I dont suppose you would all support anyone who was a cleaner, why should a footballer be different?

Hes not an illegal Don he was given limited discretionary leave to stay.

I know that allows the Home Office to review his case, but its not like the lad hasn't settled down, is paying his contribution to the UK and his local community and is exactly the type of immigrant that we want coming to the UK as opposed to those that are here simply as economic migrants and are a drain on the UK.

Prudence says that someone who comes to the UK, finds employment, keeps himself out of trouble etc should be given plenty of leniency.... Thats the message that should be given. Work hard, integrate and you'll have a home here. Currently the message is more like, come here, do f**k all and we'll give you money and a roof over your head.

I would support the case of a cleaner because the principles are the same. I wonder if they'd chuck out Roman Abramovich?
  • edited December 2007
    far too controversial.
  • Sponsored links:

• and the discretion lies with the authorities, just because he is a footballer, why should he have a god given right to stay.

The reason for the discretionary limit was the fact that Sierra Leone was in turmoil at the time, which it is currently not, he would not of been allowed any time at all if he had been say from South Africa, so there is less reason for him to need to stay now, unless footballers are a special case?
  • I think the point is that he wasn't illegally here when he built a life, a future and a family for himself. To let him and probably actively encourage him to do that and then sling him out of the country when he's making a good go of it doesn't seem right at all to me.

The principle stands whatever the occupation.

Those who've never been here legally or who have been legal but have made zero attempt to actually do anything other than sit back and take the money, housing, healthcare etc is another case entirely.
  • The fact he's a footballer has got nothing to do with it, other than as I expect the HO seeing it as a high-profile case to try and demonstrate that they are actually doing something about immigration.

The reason he should stay is that he's worked hard, paid his taxes and NI and integrated into the UK.

Its just all arse about face when there are 1000s in the UK who have made no attempt to integrate into society and contribute to its well being.
  • "Its just all arse about face when there are 1000s in the UK who have made no attempt to integrate into society and contribute to its well being."

What, like Romedahl!
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]"Its just all arse about face when there are 1000s in the UK who have made no attempt to integrate into society and contribute to its well being."

What, like Romedahl!

Exactly!!! :-)
  • If he's such a talent, wouldn't he be playing for his national side and therefore qualify for a work permit?? My view is the rules is the rules and they should be applied equally, he's probably easier to find as he is already on the books via his temporary visa, unlike illegals who aren't on the radar so to speak.
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]and the discretion lies with the authorities, just because he is a footballer, why should he have a god given right to stay.

Because he has made an attempt to settle down and live in our society, unlike many others who won't be touched.
  • absolutely outrageous

he's paying taxes, earning good money and putting that back into our economy, he's happily together with a british citizen, had a british national child

it's disgusting - words cannot describe how much of a miscarriage of justice this is, can you see teams of HO employees rounding up the illegal immigrants who have 26 kids and their third cousins over here claiming benefits and tax credits in 6 different names up and down the country?

it's not about him being a footballer, it's about integration and contribution, both of which he appears to have in abundance, i think you're stark raving mad to see it any other way
  • I cannot possibly see this any other way than as a total disgusting travesty.

Why do we continue to let this bolocks happen? There cannot be any racism argument here. This is just proving how much the law abider is an easier target for those who happily snaffle our rates and council taxes than the real problem.

Mmmmmmm
  • rumours have it watford could lose points for playing him. 10 points would be nice