Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

respected football journalist

I can only think of two, Number 1 is Henry Winter, easily the best football writer in the country, and second is Martin Samuels.

Other then that, football journalism is piss poor

Comments

• AFKA Bartram!
  • Brian Glanville.

Patrick Collins (not respected by Peanut Malloy)
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Brian Glanville.

I dunno about Patrick Collins, whilst one of us, he does seem to dream of the England of warm ale and village cricket
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Brian Glanville.

I dunno about Patrick Collins, whilst one of us, he does seem to dream of the England of warm ale and village cricket

True.

That Harry Harris is somehow seen as a top footie writer says it all.

I have been impressed with David James articles although that is a player rather than a jouno.

The Observer used to have a good columnist. Always spoke his mind. Simon someone : -)
  • do any of them write in the sun.
  • edited December 2007
    A story about Patrick Collins. I produced a kids rugby programme for Blackheath last month and fired off an email to the mail on sunday asking if he could write a piece for it, knowing that he lives locally.

He replied 2 days later asking how many words I needed, what I wanted etc etc (This was bang in the middle of the Rugby World Cup which he was attending every weekend).

He couldn't have been more polite and helpful.

Was really pleased that he came through like you'd always hope a Charlton man would.

Absolute top man and I won't have a word said against him.

Isn't Martin Samuels is just another bitter West Ham fan? (there's so many that are in the media you lose track)
  • Patricks son Mick used to work with Rick Everitt at the Valley.
  • Where is Rick Everitt these days?
  • MARTIN SAMUELS - Respected by whom -
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Where is Rick Everitt these days?

i saw a little ditty by rick in the kent messenger or whatever the local rag in sidcup is
  • Sponsored links:

• i had to listen to rick everitt all the way down to cardiff and back on the coach he sat opposite me painful.
  • I like Samuel's, he's as one eyed about West Ham, as we would be about Charlton, but he's a good writter on the sport
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Where is Rick Everitt these days?

Head of Club Development eg Valley Express, Target 40k and lots of other projects to get more people in and raise more income. Does the DVD as well.

Posts on here infrequently as Airman Brown but obviously reads more than he posts.

Not a big fan of Samuals but only see him on Sky, don't remember reading his stuff. Tend to read mags such as 442 or WSC rather than papers on footie.
  • WSC is an annoying rag
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]WSC is an annoying rag

Why so?

Still has some good articles but does rely too much now on weak jokes and press cuttings to fill space. I enjoy the overseas articles and the editorials.
  • I thought when I saw "respectable" and "football journalists" in the heading that someone was stirring the pot, then you mentioned Winter and Samuels to rouse my suspicion further.

"WSC an annoying rag".... too far Rothko, sussed your wind up mate!

Merry Christmas
  • I really don't like, it seems to have lost it's reason for exsistance, and comes across as a magazine for 40 somethings to whine about how Football has lost it's soul to the great Sky+ box in the, ahem, the sky.
  • Sid Lowe on Spanish football in the Guardian is worth a read.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I really don't like, it seems to have lost it's reason for exsistance, and comes across as a magazine for 40 somethings to whine about how Football has lost it's soul to the great Sky+ box in the, ahem, the sky.

And hasn't it lost its soul etc etc?

As I recall, when buying issue 1 from Mike Titcher, it was about empowering fans, and getting the game back from the hooligans. Now it's about getting the game back from the rich and the media. Same aim, different enemy.

Or perhaps thats just because I am 40 something...
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I really don't like, it seems to have lost it's reason for exsistance, and comes across as a magazine for 40 somethings to whine about how Football has lost it's soul to the great Sky+ box in the, ahem, the sky.

And hasn't it lost its soul etc etc?

As I recall, when buying issue 1 from Mike Titcher, it was about empowering fans, and getting the game back from the hooligans. Now it's about getting the game back from the rich and the media. Same aim, different enemy.

Or perhaps thats just because I am 40 something...

The problem is, that it's still talking to the same group of people as it did when it launched, and not empowering younger supporters.

It also struggles, as all fanzines do now, with the internet, it's easier to run a national campaign to re introduce standing online, then via a monthly magazine.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I really don't like, it seems to have lost it's reason for exsistance, and comes across as a magazine for 40 somethings to whine about how Football has lost it's soul to the great Sky+ box in the, ahem, the sky.

And what's wrong with 40 somethings? : - )

Yes, it can be a bit whiney but there are some laughs as well.

Shame we don't have a really good weekly football mag such as France Football.
  • Algarve,

What was the punk fanzine that Mike Titcher did before WSC (Undertones song title)?
  • I've been a fan of Paul McCarthy for a while now, he isnt just a football journalist but i respect a lot of his opinions. When i worked at Wimbledon for the tennis this year I met him in a restaraunt and had a long chat with him. I am looking to become a sports journalist when i'm older and he really helped me on what i should do to persue a career. I also know he is a mad Hammers fan but when the Tevez saga was ongoing he told it like it was, rather than fans watching it unfold with claret and blue glasses on. I think he said when it was over, 'the whole saga stunk when it started, and it still stinks now'. I believe hes right on that one
  • [cite]Posted By: CrispyCAFC[/cite]I've been a fan of Paul McCarthy for a while now, he isnt just a football journalist but i respect a lot of his opinions.

lost it a bit during the Wings period if you ask me......
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Algarve,

What was the punk fanzine that Mike Titcher did before WSC (Undertones song title)?

Damn you Henry, that one has got me stumped, but I know it's somewhere in the back of my mind, just can't drag it to the front...

I think you are right about the age group of WSC readers Rothko, but I put that down to the American like five second attention span, and general illiteracy of youngsters.

Back in my day...
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Algarve,

Damn you Henry, that one has got me stumped, but I know it's somewhere in the back of my mind, just can't drag it to the front...

48 Thrills, or was that someone else?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

I think you are right about the age group of WSC readers Rothko, but I put that down to the American like five second attention span, and general illiteracy of youngsters.

Back in my day...[/quote]

Me too Algarve. so annoying

[quote][cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    48 Thrills, or was that someone else?[/quote]

Wasn't that Adrian Thrills.

Anyone remember south east London's premier fanzine (well after Sniffin Glue obviously) Safe as Milk? No, didn't think so