Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton are a 4-4-2 Team and should aim to play that

I understand why we have the extra man in midfield for our current predicament and the fact that we arguably do not have a good enough strike partnership to field for the formation, but we should be aiming once again to play a team with 4 at the back, 4 in midfield and 2 upfront. Church has been a waste of space on occasions this season but he actually works better with a strike partner. Putting him upfront on his own is a mangerial error for sure.

I hope next season, if we are still in the championship that we have made the right signings appropriate to play with two good strikers upfront. I hope Sordell stays as you can see he is a dangerous player, or has the potential to be, considering what attitude he brings and confidence level.

Its also better for our central midfielders. They have more responsablity and have to cover more ground. You would see a side of Poyet that does not have the extra protection of players around him.

In my opinion, 4-5-1 is, and quite correctly is the game plan you use which implies you are not good enough. Its the self deogatory negative attitude that spreads about. Either that or you are Chelsea.

We need better players basically!

Comments

• Mike Bassett - "four four f***ing two"

If we could drop Jacko then 4-4-2 would be easy.
  • Fitting Ajdarevic into a 4-4-2 is the biggest problem i would say, if Solly's able to play i'd like to see.

Wilson Poyet Cousins Jackson
    ...............Ajdarevic
    ...............Sordell
  • You hit the nail on the head with your final sentence: we just can't afford to do that at the moment. We have no balance up front - so we try and wedge players in wherever we can; if they can try and control a ball and are capable of kicking it a few yards... then they're ready to be thrown in. (Don't get me wrong, individually I think we have some good talent - but as a system? Nothing seems to work well for everyone.)

Given the right players (wink wink Roland) - I'd like to see a return to 4-4-2 next season, and maybe 4-5-1 for those times when we are going to be under the cosh; the nature of the league means we always will have games against teams that can out battle us in the midfield.

For the immediate time though, I'd like to see 3-5-2. I posted this in the Jordan Cousins thread:
    ----- Morrison - Wood - Dervite -----
    - Wilson ------------------- Wiggins -
    ---- Cousins - Poyet - Jackson/Adj ---
    ------- Sordell - Reza/ Obika --------
    You could even go 3-5-1-1 and put Astrit in just behind Sordell, then around 60 minutes or so replace him with another striker and switch to the above 3-5-2.
    ----- Morrison - Wood - Dervite -----
    - Wilson ------------------- Wiggins -
    ----- Cousins - Poyet - Jackson ------
    --------------- Astrit ---------------
    ------------ Sordell -----------------
    If it doesn't work then just pull out a CB (Wood?) for a striker and revert to the same old 4-4-2:
    - Wilson - Morrison - Dervite - Wiggins -
    --- Cousins - Poyet - Jackson - Astrit --
    ----------- Sordell - Reza/Obika --------
    At the end of the day, I'm far from a tactical genius and I trust Riga knows what he's doing - but what's wrong with doing the above, playing to everyone's strengths in the team and saving Cousins a little bit of confidence at a crucial time? We had some pretty decent 3-5-2 performances earlier in the year, and Wilson and Wiggins were very good in those roles.

I realise I've put Wiggins in the above formations and that he's out at the moment (Doh, didn't think properly) - I guess Fox would need a little more confidence before playing as a wingback? Although, if we're starting to ship goals at the moment (and we are.) then having 5 defenders to call upon, as well as essentially 5 midfielders isn't such a bad position to be in.
  • Agree about in theory we should play 4 4 2 however I don't think Jackson could deal with the pace of the game as one of two centre midfielders... and at the moment we need the extra body in midfield! As we saw on stair day we switched to 4 4 2 and list all midfield control! If you were to drop Jackson and bring in petrucci this may work! However for now we need Jacksons defensive solid and commitment to the cause..

Next year depending who we keep/sign I would like to see 442...

Hamer
    Solly Morrisson Dervite Wiggins
    Cousins/Poyet
    Winger Adjarevic winger
    Sordell another

In the long term I see it as there will only be room for one of cousins and Poyet to make the starting eleven each week...

Wouldn't mind seeing sordell stick around as long as riga stays as head coach as he clearly needs a manager who knows how what to deal with him!

The other striker?? Not entirely sure a new signing?? Reza or Obika?? Even church has looked better now the ball is staying on the floor more! So maybe riga thinks one of them are up to it and we are a forced to eat our proverbial hat!
  • edited April 2014
    3-5-2 please. Suits Solly, Wilson and Wiggins. Allows three men in the centre of midfield but still two strikers up.
  • 3-5-2 please. Suits Solly, Wilson and Wiggins. Allows three men in the centre of midfield but still two strikers up.

If Solly's knees are knackered, I can't see him being a successful wing back.
  • What worries me is that we are a 0-3 team more often than not, regardless of formation.
  • Davo55 said:

What worries me is that we are a 0-3 team more often than not, regardless of formation.

where a 1-3 team mate rigas doing a good job.

• Dave2l said:

Davo55 said:

What worries me is that we are a 0-3 team more often than not, regardless of formation.

where a 1-3 team mate rigas doing a good job.

Flash in the pan Dave. Back to 0 form tonight, I fear.
  • I think this will be Jackson's last season on consistent football. 4-4-2 at this level is certainly a sensible option and everybody should know their duty to a tee.

Back 4 pick itself. Wilson can play RM, and a LM is seriously needed in the summer. Do everything to keep Poyet and play him with Cousins.

Then theres the front 2. If we can get a physical presence upfront (Kermogants gone, let it go) and play Reza off them, then its got the makings of a decent side.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd happily not have any of our strikers on the field let alone putting another one out there.