Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

7 Home grown players at the end of the game last night - something to be truly proud of

Don't know if anyone noticed but this was the case at the final whistle.

Solly, Fox, Wilson, Cousins, Poyet, Harriott and Pigott

Also - Cousins' reaction to the final whistle was awesome - he was absolutely delighted, on his kness. That's what I want as a fan - passion. Players that want to play for the team.

Well done to all at the academy - the players are our future and the coaches are the foundations. Really glad we continue to invest in it and hope we can keep producing talented players

Comments

• £120 a year for a Valley Gold membership.

Chance to win some prize draws and priority for away tickets.

Oh, and you help the academy
  • Now we just need to sort out contracts for anyone not already on one. Personally I'd happily sign up each and every one of the above.
  • Swisdom said:

Don't know if anyone noticed but this was the case at the final whistle.

Solly, Fox, Wilson, Cousins, Poyet, Harriott and Pigott

Also - Cousins' reaction to the final whistle was awesome - he was absolutely delighted, on his kness. That's what I want as a fan - passion. Players that want to play for the team.

Well done to all at the academy - the players are our future and the coaches are the foundations. Really glad we continue to invest in it and hope we can keep producing talented players

And everyone one of them players played great last night !
  • Don't mean to be pedantic, but Harriott was subbed - so seven involved, but only six on pitch at a time. Very worthwhile for VG, though.
  • Don't mean to be pedantic, but Harriott was subbed - so seven involved, but only six on pitch at a time. Very worthwhile for VG, though.

Fair point.

Pedant

:-)

• £120 a year for a Valley Gold membership.

Chance to win some prize draws and priority for away tickets.

Oh, and you help the academy

Yeah, right - I've been waiting some 22 years since my last win. Just don't bank on the prizes!!
  • OK, a slim chance to win some prize draws
  • Quality
  • In regards to Harriott being subbed last night was nice to see the embrace between him and Pigott, shows the closeness between these youngsters having come through together (and will play even better being around friends)
  • Sponsored links:

• In regards to Harriott being subbed last night was nice to see the embrace between him and Pigott, shows the closeness between these youngsters having come through together (and will play even better being around friends)

having had a torrid time recently with the fans, i thought it was classy of Riga to bring him off so he could get a standing ovation at the end, that in itself will help the lad.
  • Solly was subbed too....... not trying to ruin your thread by the way!!!!!
  • Watching the youngsters, I like the look of Gomez and Holmes-Dennis and feel sure in a couple of years they can step up.

Saw the U18 captain Terrell Thomas on Saturday and thought he was very impressive in his role as midfield enforcer and then emergency centre half in the second half and all of extra time. Another one for the future I knew nothing about:)
  • Seeing so many of our academy players involved last night is a great incentive for our best young players to stay with us, rather than go to the likes of Chelsea and never get near the 1st team
  • Ha ha - EDIT - I've just checked the Valley Gold thread & I actually won GBP 250 in last night's draw!! Blimey, what a GREAT night last night was. Really wish I'd been there.

You can buy that pint you owe me from Anfield now : - )

• Ha ha - EDIT - I've just checked the Valley Gold thread & I actually won GBP 250 in last night's draw!! Blimey, what a GREAT night last night was. Really wish I'd been there.

You can buy that pint you owe me from Anfield now : - )

You bet Henry. When are you next in Dubai?
  • We're the Athletic Bilbao of England !

Fantastic to have so many prospects coming through, wouldn't it be wonderful to have a full 11 of academy products ?
  • Kap10 said:

In regards to Harriott being subbed last night was nice to see the embrace between him and Pigott, shows the closeness between these youngsters having come through together (and will play even better being around friends)

having had a torrid time recently with the fans, i thought it was classy of Riga to bring him off so he could get a standing ovation at the end, that in itself will help the lad.
    After his second went in we all wanted to bring him off

• I don't think any team in the Premiership or Championship has as many homegrown players as ourselves in their starting 11 and subs.

Definitely something to be proud of.
  • Money will probably be tight next year and the first priority will be saving for a season ticket but if I can get the readies together for VG I'll be joining.
  • Sponsored links:

• All 3 goals involved home grown players as well. Cousins set up Harriott's first, Fox crossed for Jackson's goal and Cousins quick free kick was crossed by Wilson for Harriott to score his second.
  • If you mention Wilson. You forgot Danny greens contribution this season.
    Ex academy player.
  • markmc68 said:

You forgot Danny greens contribution this season.

Pretty easy to do!

• markmc68 said:

If you mention Wilson. You forgot Danny greens contribution this season.
    Ex academy player.

Green contributed? I must have blinked and missed it.
  • Great to see and makes me very proud of our club
  • Paul Hart should take an awful lot of credit - academy has become a lot more involved since he's been here.