Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell's comments on Talksport this morning

have started a new thread as the previous one got twisted all over the place and the predictable sniping emerged. Below is what was said, if you want to listen to it to put into context the questioning and tone, then trawl the Talksport website where you can play it back:

Murray: Eventually, I think the new owners realised that the new manager had to do what you said in the first place, and to not play some of those bloomin loan signings. I mean, I think you would have stayed up with those games in hand. It was very much your team that played last night

Powell: (chuckling) yeah it was, I looked at it this morning . Really pleased for them from a personal point of view because ive been involved in the season, and I always, absolutely categorically knew there were three worse teams than Charlton in the Championship, absolutely, so I’m very pleased for all the players, because a number of them I brought into the first team or through the academy and they’ve managed to get results at crucial times. The captain scored, he hadn’t scored for a long time and its one thing you can always rely on was him pulling out a goal when you needed it, and he done it again last night. So they’re in the Championship next year, and I for one am really pleased that has happened

Murray: Did it hurt a bit? Because when we did the Murray Meets anytime we mentioned Charlton we could see it in your face..

Powell: Yeah, of course. I am emotionally tied to that club and forever will be.,No matter who I supported as a boy, in my footballing career and coaching and managing, I’m always synomonous with that club. So it hurts, but not as much as I thought it would be, because actually, you have to move on, you have to move on to other things and towards your future, and that’s exactly what I’m doing

Comments

• PL54 said:

Powell: Yeah, of course. I am emotionally tied to that club and forever will be.,No matter who I supported as a boy, in my footballing career and coaching and managing, I’m always synomonous with that club. So it hurts, but not as much as I thought it would be, because actually, you have to move on, you have to move on to other things and towards your future, and that’s exactly what I’m doing

Please take note
    There's a very good article in this month's VOTV about "moving on". You should read it.
  • a true gent as ever. He'll learn from his time with us, maybe be a little less cautious in the future. All part of the learning curve and i dare say he will be back one day.
  • I don't think there's anything nice in splitting up and like most things where a split ain't amiable you will get the wife's family and the grooms seeing different things and reading it what ever way they want

The end result will be that this won't really affect Chris and it won't really affect any one else

And In the end you'll meet at a party (football team) nod politely maybe embrace then go and shag the best looking bird or bloke you can occasionally glancing over to see if the other one is looking

Which they will be

But your life will go on and the feelings u once had for Chris or the ex wife husband will be for someone else

• Yep, powells team was ok... Just his football shocking. Wonder if he would have acnknowledged and chuckled about the difference in Rigas tactics ?
  • edited April 2014
    Having read the full transcript, I can see how the 'There were three teams worse than them,' quote on the original thread was taken out of context.
  • Turns out there Are 2 threads on this ... Didn't see the first so I appolgise for spoiling the love in
  • I will always appreciate everything Powell did in getting us promoted, and I hope to see him back at the Valley one day in the stands or on the touchline. I am sure he will have learnt a lot in his first spell as a manager and he'll go on to be very successful.
  • Sponsored links:

• I do hope we can move on from this soon. People who did not rate Chris Powell as manager wont change their mind, neither those that thought he was doing a great job within the constraints he was operating with. I count myself in the latter category. However we must move on, just regurgitating the same old arguments with the same people saying the same things really doesn't achieve anything.

I am looking forward to the summer to see what RD does as far as the head coach / manager position is concerned, new player contracts (especially Diego Poyet) and his strategy on new players / the network etc. Chris Powell much as I (like a lot of others) admired him is part of our past, although one day maybe part of it again. But until then it is best that we all move on.
  • May I congratulate him on picking his own team against Sheffield united
  • Moving on requires two things: forgiving the bad and remembering the good. I think that is what those of us who hold the utmost respect for CP feel.
  • I did (and still do) rate him. However the time was right
  • edited April 2014

And In the end you'll meet at a party (football team) nod politely maybe embrace then go and shag the best looking bird or bloke you can occasionally glancing over to see if the other one is looking

Glancing to see if your ex is looking at you shagging? Bloody hell, that's a bit weird! ;0)
  • Depends what party's you go too