Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Hughes (ed. Confirmed to be leaving)

edited May 2014 in General Charlton
Just a quick question really....I see that a lot of people say they would like to see Hughes stay on, Hughes sign a new deal etc etc. I just wondered why? He's done very little for Charlton in the time that he's been with us, granted he was injured for a long period, which wasn't his fault, but I don't really see what's he's done to warrant such admiration from fans. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against the guy at all, but I'm clearly in the minority so wanted to know why that was?

thanks.

Comments

• he is a LAD!
  • His off field contribution is enormous
  • I would say his playing contribution was a bit over-exaggerated during the unbeaten run. Whilst his inclusion in the side did coincide with a good run of form, I wouldn't say he was the clinching factor in any of the games. A calming influence and a good leader on the pitch, but the same results could've been achieved with someone else in the side.

Off the pitch he seems to be a very well liked at senior and youth team level. I would be happy for him to stay, but only as a coach. His playing days at Championship level are surely over.
  • He's a terrific motivator and a great role model for the younger players. Whilst his championship playing days are surely over, many of us would like him to stay in a coaching role but as his family are still living up north I suspect we may have seen the last of him which is a shame. Terrific lad!
  • I second all the positive endorsements of the people above. He's a great great bloke whose influence off the field is enormous, especially with the younger players who all like him a lot. Check out the interviews with him on CAFC PLayer to see the kind of modest, inspirational guy he is. Unfortunately, I don't think he will be staying - a great pity because he has so much to contribute.
  • dabos said:

I would say his playing contribution was a bit over-exaggerated during the unbeaten run. Whilst his inclusion in the side did coincide with a good run of form, I wouldn't say he was the clinching factor in any of the games. A calming influence and a good leader on the pitch, but the same results could've been achieved with someone else in the side.

Off the pitch he seems to be a very well liked at senior and youth team level. I would be happy for him to stay, but only as a coach. His playing days at Championship level are surely over.

I don't dispute what you say but sometimes teams seem to get better results with a perceived star missing and a perceived 'squad player' taking their place. Maybe it was just random luck, but I'm inclined to believe that he contributed something that was, perhaps, not immediately obvious.

However I've heard a number of the players talk about him as though he's the best character in the dressing room and is great for team moral, which is a valuable commodity even if he is not playing.
  • I have a feeling that he might be around in a coaching capacity
  • His off field contribution is enormous

This.

• Sponsored links:

• Hope we can get him on board as a coach but I fear that being from oop north will have him pining for the call of wild ferrets. Can't see him uprooting his family. He's certainly an asset.
  • really hope we can find something for him and more importantly that he wants to stay...by the sounds of it the dressing room would be a poorer place without him in it
  • Hughes for me is high up the list of 'Powell's best signings' - not only for his contribution last season (though he probably doesn't have the pace to do it in the Championship any more) but he seems to be part of the glue that keeps the squad together mentally when things on the pitch aren't going exactly to plan. I am much more pro-Duchatelet than some, but (what seems to be) an aging, experienced but not particularly glamorous utility man is not the kind of signing that I would expect him to be pushing for - but Hughes is much more than that, but no statistics or moneyball-style analysis is going to show that; also it is fair to say no matter what caliber they may be on the pitch, it is unlikely a Liege player is going to be able to have the same effect in an English league. Astrid fitted in well, character-wise, BUT he did have experience in English football and didn't come in completely cold.
  • Big loss, hope the morale of the squad doesn't slump too much now.
  • Said a few weeks ago he wants to carry on playing for one more year. Fair enough. Hopefully we'll see him back here one day. Thanks Hughesy.
  • His family are all up around Leeds so he'll probably play at York or somewhere like that for a year. To be honest he'll probably end up coaching at Leeds eventually. They love him there.
  • A real character who always gave 100% and was clearly a great influence in the dressing room. Thanks Hughesy. All the very best for the future.

^This totally

Many thanks Andy for all you've done for us ;))

• Sponsored links:

• Proper old school footballer.
  • If he wanted to meaningfully play another season, then he had no other choice, as clearly he would be a bit part player next season. I can see him doing a very good job for a L1/L2 team next season
  • Nice guy to have around but not going to play a lot, if anything, and not sure he's qualified to coach so best wishes
  • Chrissy spoke so highly of him as do us supporters. I think his true value went unnoticed but I wish him every success.
  • I imagine this was probably his own decision rather than being let go if he wants a year or two more in the game. A shame he's gone and he'll be a good signing for whoever he ends up with.
  • Best of luck to him. Funniest guy in football I can think of so will definitely miss him.