Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trip Advisor Weirdness

Just stayed at the Chisos Mountains Lodge in the Big Bend National Park, Texas.

I'd checked Trip Advisor beforehand and this was the worst review:

"While walking back to our room from dinner at the lodge, a mountain lion attacked my son. The lion took my son from my wife, who was holding his hand, and dragged him into the bushes. I was able to stab the lion with a pocket knife to get him to release my son, but he's lucky to be alive and only have minor facial scars as a result."

Doubting the story I checked with the staff who confirmed it happened but I got the general impression that the scorpions, tarantulas and rattlesnakes were the ones to really look out for. I'm still not sure whether it was the kid or the cougar who ended up with the facial scars though!

Any other bizarre Trip Advisor reviews out there?

Comments

• edited May 2014
    thepoke.co.uk/2013/10/28/21-seriously-strange-tripadvisor-reviews/

And one I stumbled across when going to Slovenia, the Postojna Caves:

"Due to a massive error on their part, I was left alone in the caves, waiting for an English guide, for almost an hour. After 10 minutes the lights went off. I was terrified, and no one responded to my many hysterical screams for help. I am traumatized. This is not how you treat a human being. This was a huge failure from their staff, and I demand recognition of it."
  • Tripadvisor, useful, but don't take either good nor bad reviews on there as gospel, I tend to look at the ranking overall as that weeds out the loonies' reviews, there's plenty of them
  • Our Cafe here in France had a review posted that said "it's very Scottish" I was born in London and there was no haggis on the menu. Still don't know what they meant.

• You often learn more about the reviewer than the place under review.
  • cafcfan said:

"While walking back to our room from dinner at the lodge, a mountain lion attacked my son. The lion took my son from my wife, who was holding his hand, and dragged him into the bushes. I was able to stab the lion with a pocket knife to get him to release my son, but he's lucky to be alive and only have minor facial scars as a result."

Doubting the story I checked with the staff who confirmed it happened but I got the general impression that the scorpions, tarantulas and rattlesnakes were the ones to really look out for. I'm still not sure whether it was the kid or the cougar who ended up with the facial scars though!

but what did you think of it? and Texas in general?

• At least with Tripadvisor there's the option for management to respond to reviews. I had one guest once who told me the reason he booked with us was because he had to meet the guy that came up with the sarcastic responses (me!).

Whats the name of your hotel again..?
  • You do sometimes wish you could put up a sarcastic reply on behalf of the business owner where someone who wants the moon on a stick for tuppence h'appeny complains that their feet were not washed by topless virgins every morning at breakfast.
  • How did your bar close with that kind of service!?!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014
    I am guilty of occasionally reviewing a hotel whilst I am still there, possibly tired from driving all day and disgruntled because the shower doesn't work. So I set to with a long and tetchy review. Only to find AFTER I have written it that I missed the big red button marked "SHOWER".
  • You do sometimes wish you could put up a sarcastic reply on behalf of the business owner where someone who wants the moon on a stick for tuppence h'appeny complains that their feet were not washed by topless virgins every morning at breakfast.

Unless they've paid the topless virgins supplement. There's nothing more annoying than paying the topless virgins supplement and then having your feet washed by a fully clothed mother of 3. This happened to me at the Hampton by Hilton in Croydon. I was spitting feathers, I can tell you.
    But at tuppence h'appenny they clearly haven't paid the topless virgins supplement have they!

Honestly, some people...
  • My ex-wife wrote a fantastic review for a place in the Forest of Dean.

Then I noticed that the previous review mentioned that the manager of the hotel had more or less threatened to beat up the reviewer as they had complained about something.

Then I realised that it was my ex-wife's best friend's hotel.

Then I remembered why she was my ex-wife.

Unless they've paid the topless virgins supplement. There's nothing more annoying than paying the topless virgins supplement and then having your feet washed by a fully clothed mother of 3. This happened to me at the Hampton by Hilton in Croydon. I was spitting feathers, I can tell you.
    But at tuppence h'appenny they clearly haven't paid the topless virgins supplement have they!

Honestly, some people...
    Would obviously be a thrupenny bit not a tuppence ha'penny
  • When we played Blackpool a few years' ago (when we lost 5-3), I was tasked with finding the hotel for our group of six. Found one that seemd in decent location and good value...then I started reading the TA reviews. A recent guest complained they had been bitten by bed bugs, to which the manager replied that he couldn't do anything about it, as other guests brought the bed bugs with them!!!

Needless to say, we went for a different option. Still a very bizarre place, but at least there weren't any bugs...
  • cafcfan said:

but what did you think of it? and Texas in general?

Been before a few years back to a different area. Generally good. Texans have a reputation for being loud and aggressive when they are travelling but at home they seem fine. They say everything is bigger in Texas - but it isn't the toilet paper sheets are really small. However some roads have a central reservation so huge (probably bigger than Yorkshire!) you can't see or hear the traffic going in the other direction.
    Anyway, Dallas, San Antonio and South Padre Island are my recommendations as well as Big Bend (if you can get there). Otherwise West Texas is probably best avoided. Apart from the national park its just oil fields or cow fields and they both stink. I've got relatives in Amarillo which is why I was there. BTW, Texas is in a four-year drought and in desperate need of rain.
    I'm now in Roswell, New Mexico - the truth is out there!

Be fair, it's probably quite difficult finding virgins in Croydon. At least, any that you'd want to see topless. Surely the fully clothed mother of three would be closer to what you were hoping for than a spotty herbert Palace fan that'd technically fit the definition.

What's more annoying than paying the supplement and not getting the topless virgins? Paying the supplement and getting the virgins of the wrong sex.
  • P
    Curb_It said:

At least with Tripadvisor there's the option for management to respond to reviews. I had one guest once who told me the reason he booked with us was because he had to meet the guy that came up with the sarcastic responses (me!).

Pineapple Guesthouse, Karon Beach, Phuket.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014

P

Curb_It said:

At least with Tripadvisor there's the option for management to respond to reviews. I had one guest once who told me the reason he booked with us was because he had to meet the guy that came up with the sarcastic responses (me!).

Looks stunning, I hear the guy that owns it is a miserable b*stard though (and a cheapskate to boot!) and the place is riddled with mutant ants too..

In all seriousness though, you've got some really good reviews and the area looks top notch. I'd never really thought about travelling that way before; may have to add it to my list.
  • LuckyReds said:

P

Curb_It said:

Looks stunning, I hear the guy that owns it is a miserable b*stard though (and a cheapskate to boot!) and the place is riddled with mutant ants too..

In all seriousness though, you've got some really good reviews and the area looks top notch. I'd never really thought about travelling that way before; may have to add it to my list.
    Just wait until we know what's happening with the military coup!

• Is it safe to wear a Charlton shirt or is red best avoided there?
  • P

Curb_It said:

A tribute to Jason Lee no doubt?
  • LuckyReds said:

P

Curb_It said:

May I politely suggest a change in sales tactics ;)
  • Surely the military know to leave the tourism alone !!!

Love Thailand
  • LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

P

Curb_It said:

May I politely suggest a change in sales tactics ;)
    I know what you mean and it is highly likely that Phuket will not be affected by the coup but I am not exactly expecting a flood of new bookings right now. We'll get a clear picture soon enough.