Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Varney on tomorrow's game

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
From the Leicester Mercury

Charlton striker Luke Varney today described the Addicks' trip to his home-town club, Leicester City, as “the big one” in his season.

Varney is set to start for Charlton tomorrow against City, the club he has supported since he was a boy.

The forward shook off a flu-type virus to return for Charlton in their Boxing Day draw at Norwich.

And he hopes the 90 minutes in the 1-1 stalemate has got him back in the groove in time for the trip to the Walkers Stadium.

Varney said: “Two weeks back, I had a little bit of flu symptoms but I played on Boxing Day and I am pleased with that.

“I was delighted to get 90 minutes under my belt before the big one, to get my fitness levels ready.

“For me, it's a massive game. Returning to Leicester, it always will be.”

Varney began his professional career with Crewe after being spotted playing for Quorn in the Midland Alliance.

He moved to Charlton for a fee that could rise to £2million in the summer, which netted Quorn a £500,000 windfall.

And he scored his first Charlton goal in City's 2-0 defeat at the Valley in September.

Now the return fixture could pose some problems for Varney with his City-supporting family.

And Varney suggested they could be happy with a scoring draw in which he finds the net.

The 25-year-old said: “I have just got off the phone to my family and they have been asking me about tickets.

“I have said I will get as many as I can. If not, they will have to buy them to watch the game.

“They have always been Leicester City supporters. They will be hoping I do well and that Leicester get a result. A draw with me scoring might do me some good.”

At Carrow Road on Boxing Day, Varney played on the right midfield of a 4-5-1 system - which also featured former City skipper Paddy McCarthy at centre-back - and Varney could be set for a similar role against City.

And, although he is more used to playing as a forward, he is ready for a similar role at the Walkers Stadium.

“I don't know for definite where I will be playing,” said Varney.

“The gaffer (Alan Pardew) has tinkered with different systems. Some games he will go 4-5-1 and then some he will play 4-4-2.

“He will look at videos of Leicester and work from that. If I am selected on the right or up front I will get on with it.

“I have played on the right for Crewe when Dean Ashton was there. We have had some success with 4-5-1, and I will play anywhere to get games under my belt.”

Comments