Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marcus Bent to Sunderland for £3M

edited December 2007 in Rumours
.... would be a nice deal.

Wigan probably have first refusal at but if they don't buy, then we can can sell and I am sure there will be no shortage of takers.

Comments

• Before I get my hopes up, what is the veracity of this rumour?
  • So would Darren Bent on loan, with Spurs paying his wages. Doh !!
  • Whatever Marcus does will surely be in the clubs best interests. Top man.

S.
  • it has no veracity
    Sunderland have money and need proven Premiership performers .... 2+2 = 4
  • Ronaldo's coming to us.

We have no decent wingers.

2 + 2 = 4
  • As I understand it Marcus Bent is on a non returnable loan to Wigan for the season. If Wigan buy we get a fee if not he is released on a free. On current form Wigan should buy
  • Hope Wigan do
  • bit confused I hear he has another year to go on his contract?
  • He does, hence the valuation.
  • [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]As I understand it Marcus Bent is on a non returnable loan to Wigan for the season. If Wigan buy we get a fee if not he is released on a free. On current form Wigan should buy

need to rethink your post. IF Wigan can get him for free at the end of the season then why would they buy him now. Not exactly clever is it. The FACT is that, as Raz has suggested, he still has another year on his contract after this season. If Wigan want him they have to pay, end of. Let's hope they do so before his 'form' downs down the pan (again !!)
  • Sponsored links:

• This was a comment made by a board director at a City Addicks meeting "Marcus Bent is gone" I recall when asked if Marcus Bent could be returned by Wigan.

My post did not say that Wigan can get him at the end of the season for free. If they sign him they pay (in the loan contract I would think). If he goes to any other club we get nothing.

Other lifers were there perhaps there is another take on what I understood?
  • signed a three and a half year contract in Jan 2006. You do the maths. I've heard director's comment that MB has gone and that they'd 'drive him there myself' but the facts are he hasn't gone, could return to us from Wigan at the end of the season, could be stuck with him for another year. Hopefully Wigan or someone else will sign him.
  • IF Wigan can get him for free at the end of the season then why would they buy him now. Not exactly clever is it. The FACT is that, as Raz has suggested, he still has another year on his contract after this season. If Wigan want him they have to pay, end of

Yes...but there is nothing to stop Charlton, who hold his contract, from offering him to other clubs, or maybe they'll tell Wigan they want him back when the loan deal expires. Similarly there is nothing to stop other clubs from making an offer. With a year and a bit left on his contract Wigan might think it's worth making the deal permanent before events take a hand.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]IF Wigan can get him for free at the end of the season then why would they buy him now. Not exactly clever is it. The FACT is that, as Raz has suggested, he still has another year on his contract after this season. If Wigan want him they have to pay, end of

Yes...but there is nothing to stop Charlton, who hold his contract, from offering him to other clubs, or maybe they'll tell Wigan they want him back when the loan deal expires. Similarly there is nothing to stop other clubs from making an offer. With a year and a bit left on his contract Wigan might think it's worth making the deal permanent before events take a hand.

Didn't we get stiffed over Smertin because his "year loan deal", didn't stop him being transfered from Chelsea in the meantime and because it was to Russia, it happened outside the transfer window?
  • Sky Sports has the statistic that he is currently the 3rd most efficient finisher in the premiership behind Yakuba and Eduardo. The man is a snip at £3m. Lets hold out for £16.5m. I hope Capello is keeping an eye on him too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Sky Sports has the statistic that he is currently the 3rd most efficient finisher in the premiership behind Yakuba and Eduardo. The man is a snip at £3m. Lets hold out for £16.5m. I hope Capello is keeping an eye on him too.

and to be fair as well edueardo aint hardly played so his 2 goals the other day would of made a difference! Lets just hope the git keeps knocking em in!
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]IF Wigan can get him for free at the end of the season then why would they buy him now. Not exactly clever is it. The FACT is that, as Raz has suggested, he still has another year on his contract after this season. If Wigan want him they have to pay, end of

Didn't we get stiffed over Smertin because his "year loan deal", didn't stop him being transfered from Chelsea in the meantime and because it was to Russia, it happened outside the transfer window?

I can't remember the details of that ie whether Chelsea had a recall clause or that he could be sold if an offer came in, which might have been the case in his example.

As long as Marcus keeps scoring on the pitch his transfer price will stay high, in a few months he becomes our property again and we'll sell him - I can't see him returning. Either Wigan or another struggling Prem club will fork out some monry for him and we could escape with a tidy sum, not bad for a player we should never have spent £2.5m on and we would have released on a free at the beginning of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Sky Sports has the statistic that he is currently the 3rd most efficient finisher in the premiership behind Yakuba and Eduardo. The man is a snip at £3m. Lets hold out for £16.5m. I hope Capello is keeping an eye on him too.

Spurs must be really disappointed spending £16.5 million on Darren Bent,
    when it was Marcus they really wanted all along........
  • Things is, we could do with the dosh now. If he's true to previous form, he'll get an injury or his form will drop off a cliff and he'll be a forgotten man. I'd like us to cash in now!
  • cash in on him now or get him and his current goalden touch back down the valley.... but i'm sure most wouldn't want him to score for us if he did return ....
    bite your nose to spite your face
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]cash in on him now or get him and his current goalden touch back down the valley.... but i'm sure most wouldn't want him to score for us if he did return ....
    bite your nose to spite your face

I wouldn't want him back because clearly he wont want to slum it in the Chumpionship so he go all sulky and back to his useless alter-ego.