Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Greg Halford

edited January 2008 in Rumours
Took this off Daily Mail site:

Charlton will make a £1million move for Sunderland's out of favour full back Greg Halford.

Charlton boss Alan Pardew wants to take Halford, 23, after loan signing Danny Mills quit to join Derby.

The right back has not played for Roy Keane's side since December 8.

Halford on way?

Comments

• Do we need another RB? We have Mou2 and Sankofa. Maybe one of those will be on his way?
  • Could use Moutaouakil as a winger.
  • Very highly rated a couple of years ago, seems to have lost his way and not cracking it at either Reading or Sunderland.

I suppose that is the level we are now looking at.

Suprised Curbs hasn't been in as he can play in about 10 different positions.
  • Was at Colchester under Parky. Thought he played CH and up front so a perfect Curbs signing as the afka guy says
  • Curbishley wont look at him Curbs has the money to splash around.
  • It's funny that his name should appear here today.

Allegations about him and Anthony Stokes got the main Sunderland forum shut down earlier on..
  • I really rate this guy actually - he can play all over the place and he has an awesome long throw - seriously he can throw it half the length of the field!

I wanted him when he was at Col U so would still welcome him - he looks like a "Charlton Type" of player
  • [cite]Posted By: Paddy Powell[/cite]It's funny that his name should appear here today.

Allegations about him and Anthony Stokes got the main Sunderland forum shut down earlier on..

Are you allowed to tell us what the allegations were?

Good signing in my opinion. Didn't he cost 3 or 4m about a year ago?
  • Don't know much about him admittedly but Nyron Nosworthy is barely Premiership class so one has to wonder how good this guy is if Nosworthy is keeping him out of the side, particularly when they are struggling.

Seems overpriced at £1 million but probably the makeweight in the Reid deal.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

I've whispered them to you.

I hope the whisper function works.. If people can see the allegation - let me know and I'll quickly edit it.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Paddy Powell[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

I've whispered them to you.

I hope the whisper function works.. If people can see the allegation - let me know and I'll quickly edit it.

Come on Paddy, dish the dirt please!
  • Probably a silly question (in that wages majorly figure in the equation no doubt) but how is it that Charlton Athletic only receive £2 million for an international right back in the summer yet are expected to pay £1 million for a reserve right back 6 months or so later?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Probably a silly question (in that wages majorly figure in the equation no doubt) but how is it that Charlton Athletic only receive £2 million for an international right back in the summer yet are expected to pay £1 million for a reserve right back 6 months or so later?

You make a good point Len, however as much as I valued Young as a 28 year old England international in his prime at £5million he evidently had injury and long term issues. Halford can play anywhere on the park and that is possibly his undoing. At £1 million I would say he is a very good signing and will prove to be so in my humble opinion
  • very talented and versatile young player who for one reason or another has not managed to establish himself at two clubs after commanding an insane transfer fee on both occasions, that sort of thing happens in football, particularly with young players making bad long-term decisions

i'd bite their hand off for one million

think of the future - basey (19) and youga (22) on the left, halford (23) and moo2 (21) on the right, giving you the possibility of a konchesky/kishishev scenario as well for flexibility where a full back might establish a partnership with another on the same flank in a 4-4-2
  • If we did pay 1 million for him then that would probably mean that Pards has serious doubts about Mouataokil as a right full back.
  • If we were paying £1 million for him I think he would be played in midfield.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Probably a silly question (in that wages majorly figure in the equation no doubt) but how is it that Charlton Athletic only receive £2 million for an international right back in the summer yet are expected to pay £1 million for a reserve right back 6 months or so later?

Wages/age/length of remaining contract/status of team/desperation of team/who else wants the player/injury record/location of player and team/ etc etc

Also we don't know if £1m is even a true figure or that we are even after him. Yestersday news is tomorrow's fish and chip paper (or it would be if health and safety meant you couldn't do that anymore)

I thought he could player FB, CH, Midfield and upfront so could be useful and is relatively young plus Parky will know what his personality is like. Would have thought a loan would be ideal.
  • plus Parky will know what his personality is like.

surely he'll sign him for Hibs then ; )
  • Speaking to a Reading fan he didn't rate him in the few games that he played for them and has apparently been rubbish for Sunderland. He has an enormous throw, please can we not sign a player like that, our football will be worse than Bolton played under Big Sam.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    plus Parky will know what his personality is like.

Only if Paatelainen, their new manager, fancies him. : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    plus Parky will know what his personality is like.

Only if Paatelainen, their new manager, fancies him. : - )

what's the world coming to, when rumours don't become reality!
  • edited January 2008
    You know what, I'm starting to think that the papers make some of these rumours up. Yeah really!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]You know what, I'm starting to think that the papers make some of these rumours up. Yeah really!![/quote]

Unless it's in the Sun of course, then it's bound to come true!
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]You know what, I'm starting to think that the papers make some of these rumours up. Yeah really!!

Unless it's in the Sun of course, then it's bound to come true!

Or on addickted...