Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question for the Sparks

Slight concern I guess....

Had a new extension built on property I purchased with new sockets and lights etc installed, all ok there. But I also had a new boiler installed into my garage and have just noticed an exposed cable from where I'm not too sure, rolled up in a loop and hooked onto a clip. Upon further investigation this cable is still live and exposed!!

The electrics were signed off by the workman with a Minor Electrical Installation Certificate
Should the electrical certificate cover the whole house (I.E old electrics too) to be safe or does it just cover the new work that they completed?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure but if the certificate was signed off by someone with the surname "Half-Empty" start worrying.
  • Options
    The spark who did the new installation would have only given a certificate for the work he or she did, unless you specifically asked them to check the existing, it would be like a mechanic giving you an MOT on a car he's not checked after installing a new battery.
    I'm not a spark but work in the industry.
  • Options
    Get it down The Valley, been looking for a live wire for sometime.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If the exposed cable is something going to the boiler they installed then it's most certainly they're responsibility. If they ran a new circuit for it they should've given you an "electrical installation certificate" not a minor works.

Same thing goes for the sockets and lights in the extension though the regulations are slightly unclear at times as they say when an addition or alteration is made to a circuit you "may" issue a minor works cert. I work for British Gas (at the moment) and their company policy here is to issue an electrical installation cert as it should find any imperfections in he circuit the new stuff is being tagged onto.

Where abouts are you Duck?
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be about why this town ain't big enough for the both of us.
  • Options
    What's it like being in a band with your brother?
  • Options
    Cheers guys
  • Options
    Have sent you a PM DKB