Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phillip Lahm Retires

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28364966

Philipp Lahm retires from national side. What a way to go out, lifting the World Cup. Bet the Germans wish Chris Solly was german, ideal replacement ;)

Any chance Gerard and Lampard might call it a day?

Comments

• Fantastic player. Would love to see him in the premiership but suspect that ship sailed a few years ago.
  • Agree. fantastic player.
  • Only 30 though. if he was English there'd be a storm saying he was unpatriotic and putting club before country etc
  • edited July 2014
    Im surprised by that, at 30 i would have thought he would wanna have a go at an International double in a couple of years time.
  • Only 30 though. if he was English there'd be a storm saying he was unpatriotic and putting club before country etc

Yeah, but if he was English, he wouldn't be bowing out as the WC winning captain..............
  • I don't get this international retirement mullarky surely you want to play for your country for as long as you're still being picked? Isn't this the pinnacle of your career?
  • I don't get this international retirement mullarky surely you want to play for your country for as long as you're still being picked? Isn't this the pinnacle of your career?

Typically I would agree with you, but bowing out as the captain of a World Cup winning team is a special circumstance.
  • Also I don't know what his replacement is like. He could be good enough and needs to get experience. The one thing that sticks out about the Germans is that they have been contenders at almost every tournament. That must come from bringing in young players on a regular basis. That will only happen if the 'old guard' move aside. It must be nice to retire before you are shipped out and if that is going to happen soon surely it makes sense to allow his replacement a decent run at it before euro 2016.
  • Yet Klose was still playing at 36 - you should pick your best team as long as they are fit and in form
  • edited July 2014
    Klose was chasing a record, which he achieved. Now he is also considering retiring from international football.
  • Sponsored links:

not for "some player harry redknapp knows"
  • I think Wilshere's only impact is with the ground, he seems to visit that most games.

Not if he'd picked up the World Cup a week before
  • Personally i would like to go out on top then fade into the darkness. Be remembered as a great that someone who got long in the tooth and only selected because i was great at one point.
  • In fairness to Lampard and Gerrard, they will still be remembered as 'greats' purely for their club contributions - regardless of anything that happens with England.
  • cafctom said:

In fairness to Lampard and Gerrard, they will still be remembered as 'greats' purely for their club contributions - regardless of anything that happens with England.

Only in England.

Internationally I can't see them being admired around the world like Seedorf/Zidane/Pirlo are.
  • cafctom said:

In fairness to Lampard and Gerrard, they will still be remembered as 'greats' purely for their club contributions - regardless of anything that happens with England.

Only in England.

Internationally I can't see them being admired around the world like Seedorf/Zidane/Pirlo are.
    No they won't, but they are not as good as those those three players. I suspect that they will be as well remembered as Alan Shearer, Bryan Robson and Tony Adams.
  • Noticed during the WC how the commentators kept banging on about if Messi wants to be a true world-class player, he has to do it on the biggest stage.

Those same commentators will be juicing up when Rooney (or any of the other England squad) scores a 5 yard tap-in and saying what a top notch player he is, blah, blah, blah.............
  • After missing out on a call up to this years England World Cup squad I had to announce my international retirement at the age of 31

So 30 isn't that young to call it a day
  • Sponsored links:

• Disappointed with this, think a player should play as long as they can internationally, should be the biggest achievement of their career. He still has 4 years at least left in him.
  • The real mis-match was having Ronaldo, Messi and Rooney in the same Nike Ad.
  • Rooney, Gerrard and Johnson shouldn't be allowed to play for England again.
  • The real mis-match was having Ronaldo, Messi and Rooney in the same Nike Ad.

Rooney was in it, to show the fat kids that you can wear Nike.
  • Surprised as he could easily go on the win the euros. However that would be a step down. Probably the best player ever in his position.
  • Gutted he has retired from international football, has been a brilliant performer for years. Personally one of my favourite players who is world class anywhere he plays.

Would have enjoyed seeing him leading Germany out for the Euros.
  • Don't think it's unpatriotic at all, he's captained his country to success at the world cup, lead by example and been one of the best players at every tournament he's played in - he's got nothing to prove to anyone any more. There will be some a younger player ready to step up to the mark and develop in time for the next few tournaments I am sure - Lahm continuing to play would only hinder that development. If anything he's putting the country first knowing he would be first choice by default - so he is removing himself for the good of the team, long term.

Compare this to Gerrard - never truly impressed on the world stage, never been the same captain for his country as his club, and like it or not it was his error that specifically lead to the decisive knock-out goal... yet he's still dithering about playing again. Be decisive Stevie, one way or the other.