Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This could get interesting

I wonder what Uefa/Fifa will do? And you can't blame them.

Six Shakhtar Donetsk players refused to return to the city following Saturday's friendly in France because of concerns over the conflict in Ukraine.
Donetsk is currently controlled by pro-Russian rebels, with the Ukrainian army attempting to regain control.
Alex Teixeira, Fred, Dentinho, Douglas Costa, Facundo Ferreyra and Ismaily did not fly back after the game in Lyon.
Club president Rinat Akhmetov has warned that the players may face sanctions if they do not return.
"Players have contracts that they have to abide by. If they do not come, I think, they will be the first to suffer," Akhmetov told the club's website.
"Hopefully, the mind and heart will prevail over misunderstanding, and the players will not follow temptation and fear. Especially since there is nothing to fear."
Five of the six players are Brazilian, with Ferreyra hailing from Argentina, and have a reported market value of £46m.
Shakhtar are currently not allowed to play home matches at their Donbass Arena, due to the conflict.
The new season is scheduled to begin this weekend and the Ukrainian Football Federation has yet to decide where the club will play.

Comments

• Shakhtar Donetsk are set to be without Brazilians Douglas Costa, Fred and Alex Teixiera after six of the club's players refused to return to Ukraine while violence there continues.

The Ukrainian club's owner Rinat Akhmetov confirmed Costa, Fred, Teixiera as well as compatriots Dentinho and Ismaily and Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra remained in France following a friendly against Lyon.

Fred anybody? Think we have got Barney Rubble already.
  • I thought Fred played in Brazil?
  • C_A_F_C said:

I thought Fred played in Brazil?

Different Fred. (Frederico Rodrigues de Paula Santos)
  • C_A_F_C said:

There are probably hundreds of Brazilian Footballers who call themselves Fred lol!
  • C_A_F_C said:

There are probably hundreds of Brazilian Footballers who call themselves Fred lol!
    Fred, Bernard, Jo, Cris, Oscar it doesn't get any more Brazilian than those names.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

C_A_F_C said:

Fred, Bernard, Jo, Cris, Oscar it doesn't get any more Brazilian than those names.
    Hulk?
  • You'd be forgiven for forgetting that Eastern Ukraine is a warzone at the moment, what with all the businesses trying to carry on playing football or flying over it as if nothing out of place was occurring. You'd think the plane being shot down might have been a wake-up call that Ukraine might be slightly dangerous at this moment in time.
  • Fair play to the lads I say. I wouldn't fancy heading back to what is effectively a war zone. Will be interesting to see what they are going to do. They may have contracts, but if they tell the club to stuff it what can the club do? Sue?
    Under the circumstances I think UEFA and FIFA should allow for negotiation between club and players so that they can be released with suitable compo from clubs that are willing to have them.
    No-one should be made to work in conditions hazardous to life and health. Being a footballer is no different IMHO.
  • edited July 2014
    I wholeheartedly agree with their actions. You wouldn't catch me commuting from Bexley to Euston everyday if central London was a warzone, why should they?
  • Sponsored links:

• @tangoflash - in it for the LOL's