Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Police appeal following attack in Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes you could avoid violence in the 70s, by not going to football matches, gigs or pubs, all of which are much safer now. I don't buy the glory days of the 70s. The 70s were horrible. Woolwich was a tip. London was a tip. Now it's the greatest city on the world and something to be proud of.
  • Options

Violence has changed IMO. Back in the 70's it was more a case of you knew where it was more LIKELY to be and you had more chance of avoiding it.

So football hooligans, could be avoided. Lewisham riots could be avoided. Brixton riots could be avoided, unless you lived there.

Ok, if you was in Woolwich late at night, you might get jumped or mugged, (I did), but there wasn't so many stabbings.
    I think someone was stabbed in Woolwich a couple of weeks ago.
    J
    immy Mizzen, Robbie Knox et al RIP to them.

No way was their stabbings like there are now & that's my point. Murders of "kids" by "kids", in Lee, Sidcup.

Additionally, a lot of crimes are now unreported, because many police stations have closed and the police don't even bother investigating many crimes, so what's the point. No one can say how many go unreported, for obvious reasons.

If my car was broken into, the only reason I may report it would be for insurance purposes.
    If I was mugged, would I report it ? Probably not. Car number plates were stolen. Did I report it, no, what's the point ?

I agree about the use of knives but that did still happened and people getting "bottled" or "glassed" was a lot more common then. That has reduced, in part because of plastic glasses and part because pubs are fewer and different places to drink.

The stats about lower numbers of people reporting to A & E with injuries caused by violence suggest that while crime may or may not be reported the actual incidences of such violence are going down.

Politics and trade disputes are also much less violent (other than some fringe groups like the EDLv Anti-fascists) than they were 40 years ago. The miners strike was very violent (orgrave) as were some demos such as Lewisham, Grunwig, etc etc that I recall. Mosley's fascist were violently opposed in the streets in the thirties and got chased out of Woolwich (again very violently according to my dad who was very much involved) in the 50s. Those things were almost taken for granted then but would be seen as shocking now.
    I've seen a lot of these happen. Seen a kid get turned into what looked like a Frog after being bottled and then having at least 10 people jump on his face.

Dodged a bottle or two myself

Ducked out the way of a metal baseball bat once.

Violence and attacks have always been around and will always be around, but I think now days (correct me if I'm wrong) that 'weapons' are used a lot more often when they do take please, hence these attacks being more serious.

Disgusting what happened to this young girl. She'll have her life turned upside down cos of these scumbags
  • Options
    Scum need shooting but why is a 21 year old walking through Woolwich between 2.30am & 4 am.

I wouldn't let my Mrs do the 5 minute walk from the station to our house in the dark. I understand she might not have a partner to pick her up but parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles who drive.

Maybe not but still them scumbags need to be found.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Sickening, nobody is safe any where now days.

violent crime has fallen year on year for the last 40 years across the world. The advent of the internet and 24 hour news makes you think the world is more violent and unsafe, it isn't. In fact the opposite is true.

Still, it's always good to take precautions.
    Or just people are getting better at skewing figures?
    not at all, you can't skew figures of 71% or more in some western cities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/violent-crime-cities_b_4760996.html

There's actually a theory that removing lead from petrol has led to this drop as violent crime started falling just after unleaded petrol was introduced. in the USA alone crime generally has fallen to levels last seen around the 1960s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615
    I think you will find reform of abortion laws would have caused this rather than lead in fuel.
    There is a book that highlights that and other things of a similar nature
  • Options

Violence has changed IMO. Back in the 70's it was more a case of you knew where it was more LIKELY to be and you had more chance of avoiding it.

So football hooligans, could be avoided. Lewisham riots could be avoided. Brixton riots could be avoided, unless you lived there.

Ok, if you was in Woolwich late at night, you might get jumped or mugged, (I did), but there wasn't so many stabbings.
    I think someone was stabbed in Woolwich a couple of weeks ago.

Jimmy Mizzen, Robbie Knox et al RIP to them.

No way were there stabbings like there are now & that's my point. Murders of "kids" by "kids", in Lee, Sidcup.

Why are we having football against knife crime initiatives, if it's decreasing ?

Additionally, a lot of crimes are now unreported, because many police stations have closed and the police don't even bother investigating many crimes, so what's the point. No one can say how many go unreported, for obvious reasons.

If my car was broken into, the only reason I may report it would be for insurance purposes.
    If I was mugged, would I report it ? Probably not. Car number plates were stolen. Did I report it, no, what's the point ?

Think your memory may be a little clouded. My dad was shot in Woolwich in the '70's when at work in an office! Nasty people then, nasty people now. Has always been a gritty area.
  • Options

Scum need shooting but why is a 21 year old walking through Woolwich between 2.30am & 4 am.

I wouldn't let my Mrs do the 5 minute walk from the station to our house in the dark. I understand she might not have a partner to pick her up but parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles who drive.

I think the bigger question is why we live in a society where women aren't safe any time of day/night.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

I think the bigger question is why we live in a society where women aren't safe any time of day/night.
    When did we not?
  • Options
    Ah. So always has always will?
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Ah. So always has always will?

Yes unfortunately.
  • Options

People who say x area/the country is going to the dogs need to put down their daily mail and get out the house. This country wasn't ever that great, the only difference now is that there's different people, different jobs and different ethnicities in these areas. Some/most people are terrified of change and anything different they fear or say it's worse than it was.

The world keeps turning and changing, move along with it or get left behind.

What a pile of crap. You didn't have teenagers running round stabbing each other, on a very regular basis, 40 years ago, like you do now.

I don't recall too many people being beheaded either !
    Spot on
    That's why I moved out in the sticks of nowhere
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's a lot of cock now on this thread
  • Options

There's a lot of cock now on this thread

Like that comment.......
  • Options
    Moved away from South London to maidstone 10 years ago. Was like a breath of fresh air....

Now its starting to feel the same as Charlton/Woolwich was then. Probably no different just we are all older and more risk adverse.

Terrible thing to hear about though wherever it happens
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Huskaris said:

Sickening, nobody is safe any where now days.

violent crime has fallen year on year for the last 40 years across the world. The advent of the internet and 24 hour news makes you think the world is more violent and unsafe, it isn't. In fact the opposite is true.

Still, it's always good to take precautions.
    Or just people are getting better at skewing figures?
    not at all, you can't skew figures of 71% or more in some western cities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-weisser/violent-crime-cities_b_4760996.html

There's actually a theory that removing lead from petrol has led to this drop as violent crime started falling just after unleaded petrol was introduced. in the USA alone crime generally has fallen to levels last seen around the 1960s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615
    I think you will find reform of abortion laws would have caused this rather than lead in fuel.
    There is a book that highlights that and other things of a similar nature
    Freakonomics?