Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UK to allow driverless cars from January.

I was astonished to hear this on the news today. I don't know anything about the technology or in fact what it actually means.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Its ok, they are going to ban women drivers too.
  • Its ok, they are going to ban women drivers.

My mate's wife drove into the side of a bus the other day. She didn't see it !
  • My understanding is that the google self drive vehicles have no wheel and no pedals. Only an emergency stop button. Is that correct?
  • Helsinki plans to use Smartphones to make cars obsolute.
  • Badger said:

Helsinki plans to use Smartphones to make cars obsolute.

Does that mean they are going to make them absolutely obsolete ?
  • Badger said:

Helsinki plans to use Smartphones to make cars obsolute.

How the hell would you get one of those in your pocket?
  • can't get my head around it.

If you owned one of these cars, how are you meant to get anywhere if you're not allowed inside it?
  • Helsinki wants to create a mobility on demand system by 2025 which in theory would be so good nobody would need a car.
    Public transport would become so cheap and available that it will make the car pointless. They are designing an app for the smartphone.
    Most young people in Finland prefer public transport to get around and the car is not looked upon as that important.
    Remains to be seen if this will work, but that's the idea they are working on at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd love my car to drive me around during my working day. I could complete my reports before I get home and spend more time with the family.
  • edited July 2014
    The association of london taxi drivers are going to be livid " bloody no-one stealing our livelihood"
  • Will driving test become a thing of the past?
  • Presumably they'll have to be fitted with sensors so that they don't crash into stray pedestrians, but if they do what's to stop some idiots from deliberately walking in front of the traffic? I can imagine certain feckless teenager types that will think they are so cool that they can make the traffic stop.
  • Stig said:

Presumably they'll have to be fitted with sensors so that they don't crash into stray pedestrians, but if they do what's to stop some idiots from deliberately walking in front of the traffic? I can imagine certain feckless teenager types that will think they are so cool that they can make the traffic stop.

People do that in Woolwich now... Sitting on the bus by the station waiting to move but you cant because people just wander into the road.
  • Badger said:

Helsinki wants to create a mobility on demand system by 2025 which in theory would be so good nobody would need a car.
    Public transport would become so cheap and available that it will make the car pointless. They are designing an app for the smartphone.
    Most young people in Finland prefer public transport to get around and the car is not looked upon as that important.
    Remains to be seen if this will work, but that's the idea they are working on at the moment.

Which is great until you want to shift a wardrobe...
  • Badger said:

Helsinki wants to create a mobility on demand system by 2025 which in theory would be so good nobody would need a car.

I know a guy who can do that for you, for 40 quid.
  • Badger said:

I know a guy who can do that for you, for 40 quid.
    Will I have to wait until 2025?
  • This is it, this is the future guys...

...for 3 designated cities, for a trial period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28551069
  • I'm torn: hooray - I can have a drink and the car can drive me home, boo - all the fun taken out of driving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thinking about it, if your driverless car knocks a pedestrian over, who's fault is it? Your's, Google's or the pedestrian? If you crash into a "driven" car, how do you determine fault? If 2 driverless cars crash, which one is at fault? It's a legal minefield - solicitors must be rubbing their hands with glee.