Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Canada - year abroad

I'm going on a year abroad as part of my degree next Friday, I'll be studying at UWO in London, Ontario.

Just wondered really if any lifers who live in Canada or who have been there before have any suggestions of must see places whilst I'm out there, and any general advice really.

Thanks!

Comments

• Visit Vancouver, brilliant city.
  • There are a few Canada based Lifers on here who will be able to give you the lowdown.

Envious.
  • Wow, what an opportunity - good luck, and keep us posted.
  • Been to Toronto, went up the CN Tower and had a day at Niagara Falls and took in a Blue Jays match. I was only there 5 days so that's about it from me.
  • I am one of said Canadian based Addicks but I'm over in Edmonton, Alberta.

I'm sure you are going to love it out here, but unless you've got a good trust fund behind you don't necessarily get your hopes up of seeing the whole country in your year. One of the first adjustments you have to make is getting used to how bloody vast the country is. A flight from here to Toronto or Montreal is not far short of the cost of a flight to London and is about half the distance. There isn't a whole lot in the way of passenger rail either and the drives are obviously loooooong so getting from east to west is tricky and/or expensive.

I haven't been over to Ontario or Quebec since I've been out here so can't offer any tips for that part of the country, but if you do make it over here then the Rockies are the obvious must see - both Banff and Jasper are awesome towns in their own ways and the Icefield Parkway between the two has to be one of the most scenic roads in the world. @Oakster‌ will be able to give you some good local tips for the Banff/Canmore area. If you're going to visit one of the Albertan cities then choose Calgary over Edmonton, especially if you can do it during the Stampede. I love living here in Edmonton but I can't in good conscience recommend it to tourists as a must see. Drumheller is pretty cool too and has some unusual scenery. The Okanagan in Southern BC is amazing and great for wine, fruit and sun worshipping and then you can head down to Vancouver and Vancouver Island. Heading somewhere up north like Yellowknife is kinda cool too, but again it's pricey to get there and stay there but you'll see something very different and its a great spot to see the northern lights in spring and autumn.

• Know a bunch of folk who have been to western. Has reputation of being a party school! See recent link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/western-ontario-top-party-school-playboy-1.1057310

What Exiled said. Was thinking of taking in PEI this w/e - we're going to Halifax NS to take eldest to university. Doesn't look far on the map - Hear great things about PEI, but further inspection shows that its a 400 mile round trip! One of my favourite countries. Would take time out at end of year to travel. All advice above is spot on. BC - awesome place. In the meantime you're not far from Toronto and US border.

Enjoy!!

• Can`t help but my Dad was born in Springhill NS and went on to be a miner in Drumheller before the war and he always said if you go to Canada you must see the Calgary stampede.
  • Driven through London Ontario, pretty much your standard mid sized Canadian town. Love Canada, spent a great Christmas/New Year in Niagara in 2002. Canuks are great people, Yanks lite. Enjoy.
  • I currently live in Toronto, and ive been to London for parties and that. Good party town. If you got any questions about Toronto/Surrounding areas i can help you out.

Ontario only serves alcohol between 11am - 2am, can only buy your beer from the LCBO (liquor control board of ontario) or the Beer Store which has a vast variety. Beer is expensive. I would recommend getting down to BMO field and you can check out Jermain Defoe and if they play the Red Bulls you can catch Henry and Bradley.

London will have everything you need as its a college town.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014
    Two words : lucky git.
  • Thanks for all the advice, was looking at visiting Vancouver, but then realised just how far away it is from where I'm staying! Definitley want to visit the US at some point as well though, is it relatively simple going from Canada into the US? I have an ESTA so hopefully that should be okay.
  • I currently live in Toronto, and ive been to London for parties and that. Good party town. If you got any questions about Toronto/Surrounding areas i can help you out.

Ontario only serves alcohol between 11am - 2am, can only buy your beer from the LCBO (liquor control board of ontario) or the Beer Store which has a vast variety. Beer is expensive. I would recommend getting down to BMO field and you can check out Jermain Defoe and if they play the Red Bulls you can catch Henry and Bradley.

London will have everything you need as its a college town.

Yeah I heard it was a party town, must admit that's one of the reasons I picked London over a couple of other places. Will have to get used to not being able to buy alcohol in supermarkets etc though.
  • Thanks for all the advice, was looking at visiting Vancouver, but then realised just how far away it is from where I'm staying! Definitley want to visit the US at some point as well though, is it relatively simple going from Canada into the US? I have an ESTA so hopefully that should be okay.

If you have the esta you should be fine getting into the states, can rent a car and drive to michigan one way or go to New York State the next. Catch an NFL game while your there too. Flights are quite pricey to fly down, there isn't an easyjet option or ryanair like in the UK. You will get to watch most of the footy as we get most of the games.

Boston & New York are About 8-9 Hours away from you, Montreal(5-6hrs) a real party city serves till 4am i believe and you can buy alcohol in the convenience store there at 18. Obviously the states is 21+ for drinking so take that into account, beer is cheaper there though, 15$ for 30 cans and you can buy it everywhere.

If you are looking to travel while your here definitely take a look at a groupon option and you can get a cheap flight or can use via rail to get you to some of these places. There is a train station in London which is helpful in this case.
  • forgot to mention, Fanshawe College has some brilliant parties.

As you can see from the article below so does UWO (http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/58432179.html) Enjoy!
  • Toronto is a great city. You're pretty close in London - which is far duller.

I dated a Canadian girl last year - she was fcuking crazy, but don't let that pit you off - Canadians in general are great people.

Loads of things to do in Toronto - Rogers Centre for the baseball, ACC for the hockey, Toronto Islands, CN tower, the area near the harbour for bars and food, the museums are good (if that floats your boat), niagara falls trip etc
  • I worked a summer in The States aged 19 and could not buy alcohol. Went to Toronto for 3 nights where age to buy was 18 and after a dry 10 weeks, I don't remember too much about it!
  • Be prepared for how cold it can get. I spent a winter in Toronto, never got used to how cold it was.
  • Come to Whistler, largest ski resort in North America. I currently manage an Irish Bar and happy to give free beer to a fellow addick. Can also show you the best spots to snowboard / ski on the hill!
  • Have been living in Prince George BC for 9 years...BC is an amazing place; you have some pretty good recommendations already. I used to travel to Ontario as a kid from England...Algonquin park is a must visit; fish, clean and cook your own salmon and trout is an amazing experience. Canada is amazing, you have freedom to explore and enjoy the most spectacular scenery and nature without having to contend with all the poxy rules and regulations and population of England's beautiful places. You have to travel out west though BC is THE place!
  • Sponsored links:

• My home town!! Canada is an amazing country to live in - a bit backwards in some respects though (alcohol laws especially)

• Oakster said:

My home town!! Canada is an amazing country to live in - a bit backwards in some respects though (alcohol laws especially)

Quite a nice backdrop. But it's not Shooters Hill is it?
  • If you're visiting Quebec don't forget to wear your General James Wolfe tee-shirt.