Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Not bothered about tonight's result

League is more important and I'm glad we won 3-2 against Derby in the league and not in the cup. Disappointed we lost but at the same time we can not stop worrying about the pointless cup and concentrate on the league.

COYR!!!

Comments

• Pointless cup bet the 30000 mk done fans at studium mk tonight are just thinking the same as you tonight
  • I would have loved a win , but I'd prefer point/ points at Brighton COYR!!
  • Whatever happened at MKD or Derby, these games are just setting it up for a Wembley final between Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs etc, which is what the league really want.

Not bothered about our defeat.
  • A toss was not given!
    We don't need the distraction of this pointless competition!
  • Greenie said:

A toss was not given!

Agree that we don't need the distraction. but for the likes of MK Dons and shrewsbury its gives their clubs much needed revenue and in MK case a chance to increase their crowd, accepting that 90% last night were their to watch United.

MK Dons had one sub who did this fantastic pass with a back flick looking towards his own goal and his striker got to it first. Could be worth a punt. Green was his name!

• Greenie said:

A toss was not given!

Agree that we don't need the distraction. but for the likes of MK Dons and shrewsbury its gives their clubs much needed revenue and in MK case a chance to increase their crowd, accepting that 90% last night were their to watch United.

MK Dons had one sub who did this fantastic pass with a back flick looking towards his own goal and his striker got to it first. Could be worth a punt. Green was his name!

Did he track back though?
    ;-)
  • You'll care if Derby get a plum draw in the 3rd round...
  • Sponsored links:

• Most of Danny Green's best games for cafc were cameos when he was only on for a short time and we were attacking so did not have to track back. 90 mins were always a problem for DG, Kings Hill addick
  • masicat said:

Disagree totally and think this is a ridiculous attitude. You support a club for a reason, to see them win something. We won't win the Premiership or the Champions League. However, the League Cup is never out of the question and a good cup run helps keep momentum going because winning is a habit. I was gutted but felt Derby deserved it.

Agree with this....... If you are in it, then try and win it!
    Revenue aside, we had the same attitude last year with the FA cup, until of course we won a couple of games.
    The club enter a cup competition to play sides above and below there divisions.....
    Of course the league is the main objective, and playing games and exposing players to injury will always be a concern, but they can do that in training.
    Not sure of the financial implications .......but a good FA cup run was worth serious money to a club, let alone the PR spin offs.
  • If the QF sheffield united match had ended in a draw we would now be a 1ST division side. It was serendipity at its best when Harriott missed than easy chance at 0-0 (did not think that at the time) even a win with a semi at wembley would of affected us in the league. we would of played sat, mon replay, wed then sat, no way could we cope with that.
    So Masicat there is a time and place for a good cup run. Last season was not and this season surely cafc aim is to finish at least mid table and the cup can show itself as the squad gets stronger when ever that shall be.

I stayed in chesterfield for that weekend and felt gutted driving home but somethings happen for a reason.
  • edited August 2014
    Im dissapointed as i want Charlton win every game we play and see my team in a cup final, its a shame that in modern football that fans seem to be getting so cynical about their clubs chance at glory.

Anyone can get their moment, look at Bradford, who would have predicted in round 1 that they would get to play at Wembley.

If we get a win at Brighton on Saturday though, i will be over it as i agree the league is important just not sure why it has to be one or the other with some fans, let the coach worry about player fitness, as surely they can handle an extra half dozen games, not like we are playing in Europe.

• An excuse that is said when knocked out early. I myself used this last night! The truth imo is I would love a cup run but yes of course the league is all important.
  • I trust those not bothered would withdraw themselves from the scramble for a ticket should a glamour away draw (or heaven forbid a final) ever happen in this cup!

It is our clubs best (only!?) chance of getting to a final / european football and I was, as usual, gutted!
  • I'm always gutted when Charlton lose but I won't lose any sleep over it. We rested players and lost, but if it means fresher legs and 3 points Saturday, then yes...I'm not too fussed about going out the COC.

The defeat to Sheffield Utd was the catalyst for us staying up imo, as CP got sacked and JR took over. I would have loved a trip to Wembley but looking back I wouldn't have wanted us to currently be playing L1 football.

If last nights resting of players is the catalyst for 3 points in a tricky tie and an even better start to this season then Derby can poke their fixture in the next round.

• Would have prioritised the cup over the league.

We could have done well in the league cup. Sure going out may help us in the league, but then a good cup run could also help us in the league. Will going out assist us in gaining promotion where otherwise we would not, possibly but unlikely.

Even if going out of the cup helps us gain promotion to the EPL, what then. Years of prioritising avoiding relegation over cup runs and European campaigns (if we get into Europe), before the inevitable relegation. This is not to say avoid promotion to the EPL and surviving in the EPL, they are worthwhile goals, but they can't be the only targets.

Surely football should be about pleasure, enjoyment and glory. Or at least a nod in the direction of these things.
  • masicat said:

Disagree totally and think this is a ridiculous attitude. You support a club for a reason, to see them win something. We won't win the Premiership or the Champions League. However, the League Cup is never out of the question and a good cup run helps keep momentum going because winning is a habit. I was gutted but felt Derby deserved it.

Revenue aside, we had the same attitude last year with the FA cup, until of course we won a couple of games.
    The club enter a cup competition to play sides above and below there divisions.....
    Of course the league is the main objective, and playing games and exposing players to injury will always be a concern, but they can do that in training.
    Not sure of the financial implications .......but a good FA cup run was worth serious money to a club, let alone the PR spin offs.
    Not sure if you recall but the Trust published a piece I researched and checked with the club finance guy last January:
    Getting to the quarter finals was worth £1m in prize monies, TV appearances and share of the gates...getting to a Wembley semi is worth another £1m+ even if you lose!
    At this point our chance of reaching the semi final are c.2% given the draw is unknown and the likelihood of meeting and losing to a Premier league club at some stage. Last season you might say we blew a 45% chance are Bramhall Lane...but the thing was that our chances of reaching the semi-final shot up once the draw was made for each round and we were paired with side we could and did beat @operationpig‌ (!)
    It's this type of progression which gets the fans going and ideally supplies some of the cash to help build our squad.
  • If we had beaten Derby, even on pens, we would have momentum for the Brighton game and a better chance of winning. IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• That was not a week side we put out last night: Gomez Wilson Morrison Fox, who are all pushing for a start. wilson must be the only player who can score a brace on two occasions and then not start in that position in the next game. It happened after the Brighton game last season. ( we were short of right back option then).

My son is gutted we are out as he wanted an away trip to a premier team.

I 100% agree with valleygary who have endorsed what i said at 12.25pm
  • masicat said:

Not sure if you recall but the Trust published a piece I researched and checked with the club finance guy last January:
    Getting to the quarter finals was worth £1m in prize monies, TV appearances and share of the gates...getting to a Wembley semi is worth another £1m+ even if you lose!
    At this point our chance of reaching the semi final are c.2% given the draw is unknown and the likelihood of meeting and losing to a Premier league club at some stage. Last season you might say we blew a 45% chance are Bramhall Lane...but the thing was that our chances of reaching the semi-final shot up once the draw was made for each round and we were paired with side we could and did beat @operationpig‌ (!)
    It's this type of progression which gets the fans going and ideally supplies some of the cash to help build our squad.
    Remember it only too well, and made a very important point to fellow fans.
    It is not as if we are in an injury crisis situation, and I do not believe that the players cannot play 2 matches a week at this stage of the season ( Solly aside) I do not think it was a weak team last night as others have posted, and fair game that the younger players on the fringe of the first team are given a chance, otherwise how do they and the team progress, but hopefully we can have a decent FA cup run this year, the money would be a great bonus as you mention, but the positive reaction that the players must get, and the opportunity to play against higher division clubs must be an attractive idea to fan's. We might even win for heaven's sake!. God know's some of us have been waiting long enough for a decent cup run.
  • Greenie said:

A toss was not given!

Yeah, but what about those hardy souls who gave up a quiet night watching Eastenders, Holby and In the Club and spent £100 each in the process ( well, according to Henry !) to support our Club ?

:-)

• Isn't playing a club in the same league, and also recently, something that dampens supporter's enthusiasm?
  • Most of Danny Green's best games for cafc were cameos when he was only on for a short time and we were attacking so did not have to track back. 90 mins were always a problem for DG, Kings Hill addick

His house was gorgeous though.
  • When you consider 7 1st team regulars didn't start last night, it most certainly was a weak team.
    No Henderson, Solly, Wiggins, Ben Haim, Buyens, Gudmondsen & Vetokele.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • You'll care if Derby get a plum draw in the 3rd round...

Derby got Reading at home but the draw was aplabetical and we would have had Bolton at home. Either way we would have been a bit disappointed with it.
  • It was not a weak team. It just was not the team that has started most matches. That was the night i went to Ebbsfleet ! now that was a weak team. Last season we lost 2-0 and 3-0 with our strongest team and did not get a kick. we lost to Derby, not Burton or Shrewsbury or M K Dons.
    Covered end you don't rate Gomez or Wilson or Fox and Morrison ? agreed Callum is weaker than Johann, but is only 20 and as he proved against Watford and Blackpool can be sharp.

I'm pleased that Peeters said that the selection of the first 11 is close as i can't remember that being the case last season.
  • masicat said:

Remember it only too well, and made a very important point to fellow fans.
    It is not as if we are in an injury crisis situation, and I do not believe that the players cannot play 2 matches a week at this stage of the season ( Solly aside) I do not think it was a weak team last night as others have posted, and fair game that the younger players on the fringe of the first team are given a chance, otherwise how do they and the team progress, but hopefully we can have a decent FA cup run this year, the money would be a great bonus as you mention, but the positive reaction that the players must get, and the opportunity to play against higher division clubs must be an attractive idea to fan's. We might even win for heaven's sake!. God know's some of us have been waiting long enough for a decent cup run.
    I agree we aren't in injury crisis but September fixtures (which I looked at tonight) are full of challenges which will tell us and all those looking at the Championship where we sit in the scheme of things...we play Watford and Wolves who have better odds than us and, to me, the Championship is such a tight competition that we should aim to max our chances... For the prize is fantastic!

Having said all this I have been reminded tonight by a friend that it was nights at home in the 70s in frontier 30,000+ playing West Ham, QPR and Chelsea (4-0! In the league) which got me hooked all those years ago...Perhaps younger fans need the bigger games to show what a packed Valley looks and feels like?