Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Home Insurance

I received my annual quote for house and contents insurance from direct line yesterday, I have had all of my insurances with them for years.
The quote was for £888 plus 70 odd quid interest because we pay by monthly direct debit.

I usually just renew like most people, but this year I went to a comparison website.i was astounded by the results. I didn't go for the cheapest because you need to have confidence that your insurance company will help out when you need them, although I've not made a claim in nearly 10 years.

I now have more cover than before for £225 pa, with no interest charge for direct debit. saving nearly £700 pa!.
I called direct line to cancel and asked why they don't value existing customers with competitive quotes. They couldn't provide an answer.

Lesson learnt today, it pays to change every year!

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Glad you've just caught on. You should do the same for car insurance, electricity, gas etc etc.
    Also. All comparison sites come up with slightly different results, so if you can be bothered go on 4 sites.
    I use moneysupermarket, comparethemarket and gocompare, off the top of my head.
    Just done my car insurance today. Gocompare came out cheapest, but the last couple of years, moneysupermarket did.
  • Options
    I do the same every year for both cars snd home and contents. Funnily, I always stay with the same insurers but basically compare the renewal quote with a new online quote with exactly the same cover. Often a big difference. I then ring my insurance company and they either adjust the renewal to match my online quote or close my current policy and open a new one. Stupid I know but save hundreds every year just for the time spent doing the online quote.
  • Options
    Yup did the same and halved my car insurance to 220 but am old!!funny how when I rang to cancel, my exsisting company could match it but could before !And best bit got a baby Oleg meerkat on it's way
  • Options

Yup did the same and halved my car insurance to 220 but am old!!funny how when I rang to cancel, my exsisting company could match it but could before !And best bit got a baby Oleg meerkat on it's way

I've had 2 of them, 30 quid on eBay - nice little discount off the insurance.
  • Options
    Well done Petetheaddick.
    By the way I wouldn't be too fussed about cheap = no good. Chances are the difference in price will be down to the precise terms of what is on offer rather than whether the company is any good. They'll all be FCA registered and therefore you could claim back off the Financial Services Compensation Scheme if they went belly up.
    But IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO READ THE T&Cs TO ENSURE YOU ARE GETTING THE PRODUCT YOU WANT. For example, in the event of a claim, do you want your contents replaced as new or just be paid out with their actual current value?
    Personally I always go for some "personal possessions" cover as part of the policy which covers your stuff worldwide when out of the house. Then you don't have to consider whether you are being ripped off (you will be) by separate mobile phone insurance, etc.
  • Options
    As Darty said -- even Direct Line would have quoted you far cheaper as a "new" client if you had let the insurance lapse -- daft but true -- thing is as Charlton fans we are inherently Loyal! -- poss make sure you car ins quote is not linked to the old DL contract.
  • Options
    Had a bit of a disaster this morning that meant the washing machine, the hoover and the floor steamer all met an untimely death... About £1k worth of damages.

I decided I'd check my emails to see if the policy covered accidental damage - we assumed it would. Now I have discovered I can't find a shred of Home Insurance paperwork since we cancelled our renewal last year when it became super expensive with our previous supplier...

Any tips on locating a policy?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

Had a bit of a disaster this morning that meant the washing machine, the hoover and the floor steamer all met an untimely death... About £1k worth of damages.

I decided I'd check my emails to see if the policy covered accidental damage - we assumed it would. Now I have discovered I can't find a shred of Home Insurance paperwork since we cancelled our renewal last year when it became super expensive with our previous supplier...

Check your emails. Often sent as either attachment or link to download now.

Edit, sorry, you say above you've checked your emails! If you know you have a policy but can't find the paperwork, give the insurer a call and see what can be done.
  • Options
    Do you pay via direct debit or did you shell out all out once ?

Find out who you paid/are paying and just phone them up - all you need is your address and they can walk you through the rest.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

If you have a standard policy, any resultant damage would be covered under Escape of water for the washing machine. The actual Washing machine/ Hoover etc if have just packed up not covered. Unlikely even if you have AD these would be covered unless you physically dropped them/ damaged them.

PM me if you need to know more, i deal with Larger claims (Flood/Theft/Fire) but might be able to give you general help or guidelines.

Regarding the policy, its pot luck if you purchased direct and you know who just call them up give them your postcode, address, answer security questions. If via a broker or online it could prove difficult without a copy of email. Cold calling all insurance companies could be fun GL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Do you pay via direct debit or did you shell out all out once ?

Find out who you paid/are paying and just phone them up - all you need is your address and they can walk you through the rest.

Will take a look at bank accounts tonight.

Dazzler21 said:

If you have a standard policy, any resultant damage would be covered under Escape of water for the washing machine. The actual Washing machine/ Hoover etc if have just packed up not covered. Unlikely even if you have AD these would be covered unless you physically dropped them/ damaged them.

PM me if you need to know more, i deal with Larger claims (Flood/Theft/Fire) but might be able to give you general help or guidelines.

Regarding the policy, its pot luck if you purchased direct and you know who just call them up give them your postcode, address, answer security questions. If via a broker or online it could prove difficult without a copy of email. Cold calling all insurance companies could be fun GL
    Hoping some kind of Accidental Damage will cover it as a very heavy unit's leg gave way in our outbuilding and smashed the door on the washer as it was left open after emptying last night. The unit continued it's unstoppable motion towards the ground before the floor steamer and hoover stepped up to try and catch the big bastard... Both are completely fecked little Dyson handheld now has cracked cylinders and the handle is cracked exposing the fan and the trigger is broken meaning it's stuck in the on position.

The steamer practically exploded :neutral:

I managed to move the unit and realised that the "better" half had re-organised it... Moving all the small light stuff to the bottom board games, garden furniture cushions and all the heavy stuff to the top - vases, cleaning products, plant pots etc... To make the outbuilding area safer for Rosa...

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    If you have AD you would be covered if a unit has fallen onto all these items causing damage, would only be one claim if it was one of a series of events eg. think of dominos. The initial Unit would not be covered: Age/ Poor workmanship

If you have no AD, you would unlikely be covered .. unless there is water damage to your property (resultant damage) then you could claim for anything of that nature.

Sounds like an absolute mess, if the dyson/ steamers have been damaged they might want photos as evidence to confirm its consistent its not like they will be worth inspecting if completely smashed.
  • Options
    I do LV, my combined contents and bricks insurance always been around £550, in fact this year it was reduced by a few quid.
  • Options
    House insurances can vary quite wildly in cover provided between policies/providers. Check you are buying what you think you are;

1. New For Old
    2. Does it include accidental damage
    3. Excess
    4. Valuables limit, individual article and overall
    5. Cover away from home/worldwide
    6. Bicycles
    7. Cash
    8. Cover for kids away at Uni
    9. Contents & Buildings limit, does it have an average clause in the event of under insurance.

etc etc.

£225 seems very cheap for both buildings and decent contents cover.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Do you remember taking out a new policy ?? Sounds like you might have cancelled one & then /forgotten/couldn't be bothered to take out a replacement.

Fwiw ....I don't think you have a leg to stand on (a bit like your unit...) accidental damage probably wouldn't cover it & even if it did you'll probably find you didn't have ad in your policy due to the cost.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Do you remember taking out a new policy ?? Sounds like you might have cancelled one & then /forgotten/couldn't be bothered to take out a replacement.

Fwiw ....I don't think you have a leg to stand on (a bit like your unit...) accidental damage probably wouldn't cover it & even if it did you'll probably find you didn't have ad in your policy due to the cost.
    They would be covered for the damage caused by the unit that has fallen even if due to age, the resultant damage. Eg. not the unit , this is unforeseen so would be covered under AD. Even if was fitted incorrectly you would cover the resultant damage

Its only if they do not have AD this might be a problem, also agree depends on your excess whether its worth claiming for but thats a slightly different conversation.
  • Options
    We'll find out tonight.

Yeah going to take pictures of the damaged items tonight, not fussed about the unit, it was old IKEA crap.
  • Options
    I guess you have not seen them yet Dazz but all of the appliances fell on your 3 x very expensive carp rods and broke them............DIDN'T THEY :wink:
  • Options
    Anyone any views experience of 'Privilege' home insurance?

Reasonable online quote but not a name I've seen very much and not quoting '5 star Defaqto' rating - whatever that really means!
  • Options
    Privilege have two different home insurance categories.  The standard one is Defaqto 3 star the Platinum (sic) one 4 star.  There are plenty of 5 star options out there.

Mrs cafcfan looks after home insurance (I look after car insurance). We are with Privilege and I have been trying to get her to switch for years. I am of the view that they are ripping us off.  The big plus point is you don't have to bother putting a cost on your house rebuild as their better policy is an unlimited value.

Direct Line own a number of brands including Direct Line (obvs.), Privilege and Churchill. Privilege policies are underwritten by an outfit called UK Insurance Ltd, also, I believe owned by Direct Line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am with AXA (through Tesco brokers) .. £129 for a 2 bed detached in a quiet, low crime area, £500 Grand Buildings, £75 Grand Contents cover, no frills and no fancy addons .. I'm expecting a silly quote on renewal in August when I will 'negotiate' the price down or check prices on the the comparison sites. this is an annual ritual unfortunately, same as for utilities, broadband, car etc.
  • Options
    On Defacto, you need to be aware that the star rating is based on features and benefits.  They do not take into account either price or service levels. (A bit like hotels. A 5-star hotel must have food available 24/7, be open 24/7 and have enhanced services with things like valet parking and a concierge. This is why some very, very nice and very expensive country house hotels are not 5-star and why some 5-star hotels are a bit crap really.)