Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton Away (By Car)

Hi guys, myself and the old man are travelling down to Brighton on Saturday for the game. Normally we would get the train, however the old man is swimming the Thames in the morning, so the only option we have to get there is to basically drive from Lewisham where we will be parking to get the DLR to the Excel centre where the swim is taking place.

Working it out we should (without any problems) get down to Brighton area for about 2:00pm. And were just going to use one of the park and ride places that has been suggested on the Brighton website. I am slightly worried of these being full so close to the game, so was wondering if anyone has any experience of travelling to the Amex by car before and if so will I be okay to go ahead or are there any other alternative routes to park?

Comments

• Park slightly out of town off of lewes road somewhere, walk to the station (20mins) then get the train to calmer from brighton.
  • I'd be more worried about swimming in the Thames than parking
  • edited August 2014

Park slightly out of town off of lewes road somewhere, walk to the station (20mins) then get the train to calmer from brighton.

Thanks mate, and the train fair from Brighton to Falmer is included in the ticket price?
    ads said:

I'd be more worried about swimming in the Thames than parking

He is always doing these swims, it's not very becoming of a 54 year old man. I attach a picture as evidence.
  • Park and ride from the horse track, its free with the match ticket. Really good service too.
  • I did the park & ride 2 seasons ago - never again. If you arrive after 1.30pm the park & rides are likely to be full or very close to it. My advice would be to go by Train.
  • Last year we drove to Lewes and parked at their ground (£5 I think) which is 2mins from the station.

Train from there straight to Falmer (the ground stop) or stay on for Brighton though I doubt you'll have time.

Train ticket is included with match ticket and took about 10mins. Less of a queue for the train back too.

Worked well for us last year.
  • PopIcon said:

Park and ride from the horse track, its free with the match ticket. Really good service too.

That was the park and ride we were targeting as it appears to have the most amount of spaces out of the three.

Last year we drove to Lewes and parked at their ground (£5 I think) which is 2mins from the station.

Train from there straight to Falmer (the ground stop) or stay on for Brighton though I doubt you'll have time.

Train ticket is included with match ticket and took about 10mins. Less of a queue for the train back too.

Cheers, I will look into this.
  • Yes , I've done Lewes I know the area well so can park free but plenty of parking around the station then a short train ride
  • If you're arriving after 2pm I would park up in Lewes and forget all about trying Brighton
  • Agree with the others, Lewes plus train is best. Did it last year. The queue for the trains after the match is much quicker than going towards Brighton. Two years ago I did mill Road Park and ride. Took ages to get back to the car.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does look like the best thing to do.
  • Cheers guys, you have all been extremely helpful. I think I will go for the Lewes options.... Hopefully we don't get caught in traffic on the way down.
  • +1 for Lewes. Parked at the station for the night game a couple of seasons ago. 2-3 decent pubs by the station as well.
  • Can I confirm Lewes is a good option, or the Race Course as it is the longest distance away, does not get that full, the other 2 get filled pretty quick.
  • Can I confirm Lewes is a good option, or the Race Course as it is the longest distance away, does not get that full, the other 2 get filled pretty quick.

Parked at the racecourse the season before last. Really easy and nice and quick to get out of Brighton from.
  • Anyone know when the carparks actually open? I phoned Brighton and they could only tell me when the first bus was. I want to get there well before that.
  • Last year we drove to Lewes and parked at their ground (£5 I think) which is 2mins from the station.

Myself and Bigfatpete are doing this.................

Myself and Bigfatpete are doing this.................

Do you have to pre book the car park?