Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mullers

From today's Brighton programme. Quite an amusing / interesting piece I thought.image

Comments

• We should have never got rid of his predecessor Mike Bailey.

I was young but from what i recall , Mullery was not popular at all with the fans.
  • My recollection from 81/82 was that we lost Bailey to Brighton, and got Mullery in return. His article throws a bit more light on that. I agree that we should have tried harder to hang on to Bailey.
    Mullery lasted a year, then we turned to his no 2 Craggs. Enough said.
    But I agree with Mullers assessment of his signings: McAllister, Naylor and Phillips. All good players.
  • I thought the thread was about the old Arabian tribe called the mullers...........
  • Great story that. He look alike Paul O'Grady now though.
  • I thought this was about yoghurts :(
  • Hate to be pedantic, but Mike Bailey signed Terry Naylor, the season before Mullery rolled up. We got him on a free and he was a real character (and a decent player) as I remember.
    Mullery did sign Leighton Phillips, who was a class act as well.
  • Funny how Mullery doesn't mention the fact that he was the first player to be sent off playing for England .
  • edited August 2014
    The way that article is worded it gives the impression that Elliott went to Chelsea from us. He didn't of course he went at the same time as Paul Walsh to Luton who were a team to be reckoned with in the top flight, initially with David Pleat before he went on to manage Spurs.

My recollection of the Bailey move to Brighton was that Bailey never felt comfortable under Andy Nelson, who having recommended him as Charlton Manager, had moved upstairs in a 'Director of Football' type role. It transpired that without the offer of an extended contract Bailey departed for Brighton where Mullery had walked out after a row with his Chairman and came to us in an apparent bizarre swap at the time.

@Bedsaddick‌ you are right, he did fall out of favour with some of the faithful on the terraces but money was tight and he couldn't get the players in he wanted so his hands were tied somewhat. Hulyer then came on the scene whom he never took a liking to and then resigned acrimoniously which then did anger the fans. Bailey had led us to promotion from the third tier two seasons previously, was a former club captain who went on to play for England and much admired, so he was a very hard act to follow.
  • ashley said:

Funny how Mullery doesn't mention the fact that he was the first player to be sent off playing for England .

Why would he when he is describing the days opponents?
  • edited August 2014

Hate to be pedantic, but Mike Bailey signed Terry Naylor, the season before Mullery rolled up. We got him on a free and he was a real character (and a decent player) as I remember.
    Mullery did sign Leighton Phillips, who was a class act as well.

That's right but the article had other basic historical errors as well.

It is true Mullery did sign Leighton Phillips ,but it was from Swansea not Cardiff as the article implies. Although Leighton did start his career with the Bluebirds his best years were probably at Aston Villa . He also cost a fee of £25,000 according to Colin Cameron's Valiant 500 and was not signed on a free.

When talking about Paul Elliott . He left Charlton to join Luton not Chelsea , although he did not for the Blues with distinction at the end of his career.

• Sponsored links:

• I worked for a while with the late Annie Bradshaw (nee Payne)...a brilliant person I would like to say...and she really liked Alan Mullery, said he was a real gentleman and straight up guy with high standards, she even went out with Leighton Phillips for a while. Annie was also quite complimentary about Mark Hulyer too, less so about another couple of characters around during her time there.
    Anyway Annie rated Alan Mullery which has always led me to quite liking the bloke.
  • The wrong Alan !!
  • The story I heard at the time was that Glikstein came back from a three month holiday (or business trip to Australia) to find us 7th in the league and on a 13/14 game unbeaten run. He called Mullery into his office and said "what the hell are you doing? I can't afford to fund us if we go up, we're a Division 2 side and that's where I want us to remain".

Unsurprisingly, Mullery was crestfallen and lost his motivation after that. We capitulated 4-0 to QPR on the artificial turf the following Saturday and barely won another game thereafter. Mullery departed at the end of the season and was replaced by Uncle Ken Craggs.
  • I remember seeing him on TV as a pundit regularly a few years ago (probably Curbs time) and he was always putting us down, never liked him for that
  • Never my favourite I'm afraid.

Came across as a big egoed twat to me a kind of eighties Pardew prototype
  • thought he was a total twat---took a good team created by Mike bailey and f--ked it up. It was always "Alan Mullerys Charlton" was it boooolox
  • Odious creature that shoved a twelve year old me out of the way when asking for his autograph by the old players entrance at The Valley, dismantled my first heroic Charlton team, dropped Killer, dines out still on the fact that he got Brighton up, managerial record subsequently abysmal, so when I read his article yesterday got me a bit annoyed. Didn't really want his autograph anyway...:)
  • Bloody awful manager. Ended up as a salesman in the print industry and tried to do business with my Father. My old dad, bless I'm, told him where to go.
  • I thought this was about yoghurts :(

Already a thread on yoghurts..........

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1708534#Comment_1708534