Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Ath V Middlesbrough|Championship|27 September 2014|Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

Getting tired of reading the same old, or in Stubley's case young, writers doing these previews?

Bored with just how incredibly accurate my predictions are?

Wincing at AFKA's lame attempts at humour?

Want to see what the inside of the Preview Towers dungeons offices are really like.

Well, here's your opportunity.

I'm not doing the preview this week, you are.

If you are any good you get the gig on a rotational basis when WSS isn't in Berlin or St Moritz, when Stubbers isn't taking an exam or when I can't be bothered.

I'll give you a style guide below and you fill in the blanks

The Introduction Bit.

Anything you like really. Link the game to some history, current affairs or the X factor. As it is Middlesboro' this is hard as current affairs up there means 1973 and no one can think of much else of interest to come out of Boro apart from the Parmo and an episode of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet when they nick a bridge.

The Opposition

You can wax lyrical about the other team, laugh at them , mock them or bore us with statistics and their values on Transfermarket.com

IMHO Boro have the best squad in the division and will be champions in May.

One to watch

Think of a player from the other team you've actually heard of, remind us who he is and scare us about just how good he is. Usually a forward in form or an ex-Addick but be brave. Pick a reserve full back or a 17 year old who hasn't had a start yet if you want to impress.

The Line Up

There is some new fangled graphic on the BBC that Stubbers found but who needs that. Just list the fecking starting XI. Throw a curve ball in there to start debate. Like this.

Henderson
Solly
Wiggins
Ben Haim
Bikey
Gudmunssen
Buyens
Jackson
Cousins
Bent D.
Vetokele

The Prediction

After careful consideration and analysis of form, injuries and suspension suggest the likely score line. Or if you are in a hurry have a guess. Either works

3 - 1 to Boro

See, easy peasy. Entries must be in by 2.55 pm on Saturday and be no more than 600 words. You may start.

Comments

• Boro's cup draw with Liverpool was their first competitive draw since March. I don't know whether that means it'll be like waiting for a bus or they won't have another one for 6 months, in which case it'll either be a win or a loss. 1-0 to Boro I say.
  • edited September 2014
    I have been unerringly accurate (well for me...) with my last three predictions. I think that they will have too much for us. Home loss 1-2. The Oracle has spoken.

Happy to be exposed as a charlatan though of course!
  • Shoudn't Boro be "beating teams like Charlton"? Will be another tough one, but I am going for 1-1 (again). Be nice to get to October unbeaten...
  • Can't see past a 0-5 defeat.
  • 2-2 unbeaten run continues.
  • edited September 2014
    I think Boro will be tired after playing 120 minutes and overawed by the step up in class.
    2-0 to the Addicks.
  • I think Boro will win this one. 553 words to go...
  • Agree with Henry and at the start of the season I tipped 'Boro for automatic. Karanka knows what he's doing and they showed what they're capable of against Liverpool. We have a poor record against them at The Valley in recent times and I don't buy this thing about tiredness after midweek games especially if a team is confident and playing well. Our first taste of defeat this season. 0 - 2.
  • First defeat of the season.

0-3 Boro.
  • Don't have a particularly good feeling about this having watched Boro the other night. A point will be a bonus. If recent trend continues we'll score first and it'll end up 1-1 with us hanging on.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we can get another 1-1 here.

Boro look a decent outfit this season and playing away from home suits them so a draw would definitely be a case of a point gained in this one.
  • I think our record against them not so relevant as six or seven of our first XI are brand new.
    Looking forward to seeing yet another top ream at the Valley and predict it won't be a draw as both teams attacking minded and want three points.
    Perhaps we get to see a full game of Bulot and Gudmundsson for the first time. The only question is who partners Vetokele up front.
  • No wins and only two draws in the last eight meetings. We've not beaten them since doing the double over them in Curbs' final season. Fondly remember destroying them 3-0 at the Riverside early that season in a Sunday lunchtime televised match, with about 150 in the away end. We made a blistering start that season and I was convinced I'd finally be watching European football the following season. Sadly it didn't work out and a year later Ugly Iain had already spunked away our life savings on a number of money-grabbing wasters who, in terms of effort, weren't fit to polish the boots of the likes of Simon Francis, Alan McOxo and Dave Mooney.

They'll be tired after their midweek exploits so I reckon we'll get something. Whether it's a win or a draw will depend heavily on whether Peeters has identified a means of preventing panic from setting in if we're a goal up with twenty minutes to go.
  • Just as everyone thinks we are due our first beating, we upset the odds once again by putting in our best performance so far in the season, 3-0 win, goals from Igor, Tucudean & Ben Haim.

In reality like everyone else im not feeling confident about this one but who really knows with football, COYR!
  • Midlingtonborough 4 - 0 Charlestown Athletes
  • edited September 2014
    I was thinking , I wondered if JBG could play behind vetokele? Then Bulot/wilson on the right . I think that could work.

Not confident about this 1-3 and a cafc red card
  • Terrible record against Boro recently, and they've got a great squad.

Think it's either a win or a loss, no draw. Imo they are a very hot and cold team, not like some of the better teams in the league (Norwich and Derby) either we'll play the Boro that comfortably beat Brentford, or we'll play against the side that lost back to back league matches at home.

2-1 Charlton | Vetokele, Buyens and Vossen
  • Due to our new pitch the northern monkey teams now look forward to a trip to the valley
    And start to show they can still trip ,cheat ,barge,hack,push,hoof their way to a win still!
    Boro 3-1 I'm afraid to say
    Loved to be proved wrong in our favour though? Who knows this is Charlton were talking about?
  • edited September 2014
    I don't think I've seen us beat Boro. Suspect this could be the first defeat of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can see some of our recent luck running out. 1-3 Vetokele wth the goal for us
  • I don't think I've seen us beat Boro. Suspect this could be the first defeat of the season.

Beat them in the League (2-1) just before the Quarter-Final tie at the Valley against Middlesbrough in '06... that was our last win over them

in the eight games since then weve only drawn twice (0-0 in the Cup... 2-2 the other season when we were 2-0 up towards the end of the season)
  • Dont mind giving the Preview a go...

INTRODUCTION
    The matches in 2014/15 continue to fall thick and fast… Almost a quarter of a season gone in this years Football League Championship and Charlton Athletic find themselves in the lofty position of 8th place as they continue to fight for their right to be in the end of season Play-Offs come May… Next up for them in this season long battle is another of the promotion hopefuls: Middlesbrough.

As we enter into the History books between these two sides, the chapter worth commenting on has to be of course “Operation Riverside” which saw the Addicks take 5,000 fans by road, rail and air to the North East for a FA Cup Quarter-Final Replay, that day Middlesbrough would win the battle (4-2), yet the Addicks would return home knowing there would be other fights, other battles to win against The ‘Boro and this Saturday simply marks a new chapter in the fight between these two sides as the Addicks once again look to protect their unbeaten start to the season… the pieces are moving, the lines are set… Let Battle… commence.

THE OPPOSITION
    When you think of Middlesbrough as a Football Club you instantly think of Ayresome Park which of course was replaced by the Riverside Stadium (opened in 1995, almost a life time ago now), you think of players such as Brian Clough (born and raised in Middlesbrough he would go on to make 214-Apperances for the club scoring a staggering 197-Goals in the process), Juninho; the little Brazilian and Fabrizio Ravanelli; the Striker who surprised everyone by signing from Juventus…

Of course you cant forget the Managers and Lennie Lawrence, the man who will always remain a Charlton Legend for his ability to keep the Addicks in the top flight before moving to the North East in 1991, even with Lawrie departing Charlton the man was starting history for Charlton as his replacement: Alan Curbishley would go on to forge one of the most successful periods in our history.

On to the present day though and Middlesbrough are now managed by; Aitor Karanka, best known as Jose Mourinho’s Assistant whilst at Real Madrid… Aitor joined Middlesbrough in November 2013 and has set about bringing top flight Football back to Middlesbrough… Their 2014/15 campaign has begun strongly and the ‘Boro find themselves occupying 5th place after five wins and three, with Charlton having drawn five matches themselves, it’ll be imperative that they take all three points this weekend as they face a side yet to draw this season.

ONE TO WATCH – PATRICK BAMFORD

For me this week the most dangerous player that Charlton need to watch out for is on-loan Striker: Patrick Bamford, signed from Chelsea at the end of August, Bamford has already impressed with his first goal coming from the penalty spot against Liverpool midweek in the League Cup.

With just one goal to his name this season in four appearances, why is he my player to watch well if last season is anything to go by then his scoring record whilst on loan for Milton Keynes in 2013 and Derby County last year certainly shows he knows where the net is, and at 21-years of age will surely be hoping to add to his solitary England U21 cap before its too late.

THE LINE-UP
    Henderson
    Solly – Ben-Haim – Bikey – Wiggins
    Gudmundsson – Buyens – Jackson – Cousins
    Tucudean – Vetokele

THE PREDICTION
    With Middlesbrough having to endure Extra-Time and a marathon Penalty shoot-out against Liverpool midweek they say that teams who have to up their performances usually struggle the very next week,
    2-1 Charlton

Good work mate.
  • No one has picked up on Henry's surprise striker Bent.D. Explain yourself please Henry.
  • Granpa said:

No one has picked up on Henry's surprise striker Bent.D. Explain yourself please Henry.

Thought it was just wishful thinking. Yeh, come on Irving, spill!
  • Granpa said:

No one has picked up on Henry's surprise striker Bent.D. Explain yourself please Henry.

Thought it was just wishful thinking. Yeh, come on Irving, spill!
    There is some new fangled graphic on the BBC that Stubbers found but who needs that. Just list the fecking starting XI. Throw a curve ball in there to start debate. Like this.
  • Think we should bring back George T. Some bad misses against Wolves and he apears to have been dropped. Still think we look better balanced with him & I think he needs a bit more time. Not convinced by Boro's performances so far and mid-week must have tired a few of them out and the psychlogical blow of losing on penalties will probably affect them (heres hoping anyway). Think we could suprise a few. 3-1 win.
  • Dear ForeverAddickted,

Your application to become part of the Preview Team has been received and will be considered by our esteemed panel of AFKA (Louie Walsh) Bartram, Cheryl (Addickted) Cole and Simon (WSS) Cowell.
  • Dear ForeverAddickted,

Your application to become part of the Preview Team has been received and will be considered by our esteemed panel of AFKA (Louie Walsh) Bartram, Cheryl (Addickted) Cole and Simon (WSS) Cowell.

Does that mean I could become Gary Barlow? :)
  • Dear ForeverAddickted,

Does that mean I could become Gary Barlow? :)
    No, I'm obviously Gary Barlow