Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

50 Years of Match of the Day

It'll be interesting to see if they try to do the egalitarian BBC thing and try to squeeze in as many teams as possible or whether they tell it like it really is and make it one endless round of Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd matches.

Place your bets here: How may seconds of coverage will Charlton get? I'll kick-off with a big fat 0 (zero) seconds. Anything more than that and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comments

• The Leeds v West Brom 1971 controversial offside goal, that cost Leeds the title and caused a pitch invasion is bound to be on - classic Barry Davies.
  • edited August 2014
    At least one of Manure v Spurs games will probably be shown with the wooden railings at the Stretford End and their 1970 cup slaughter of Northampton when Best scored 6.
  • were we not the first live game after the boycott ? FA Cup 3rd round v W Ham at Selhurst........or was that ITV ???
  • I'm sure I just saw shearer score a free kick against us
  • I thought the show was a bit of a let down and nothing new - a re-hash of previous progs including the recent one about Alan Hansen.
  • edited August 2014
    I agree Addick Addict, I was disappointed. Not enough football and not enough info on how they make the programme. Far too much meaningless chatter from Sue Johnston, Russell Brand, the Man City ladies and the like. It felt like watching one of those dreadful 100 best moments shows: all soundbite and no substance.
  • What the hell was going on with Des Lynam's tongue?
  • Are they counting the years that Itv had the highlights show then?

Next week, celebrating 48 years of England World Cup success!
  • edited August 2014
    MrOneLung said:

Are they counting the years that Itv had the highlights show then?

Yes, in exactly the same way that Charlton celebrated its centenary in 2005 not 2009: One hundred years since, not one hundred continuous years of.

To be fair to the Beeb, the ITV years was one of the few things that the programme covered well.
  • Sponsored links:

• When was that made? Watched bits of it last night. Just im sure I read ages ago jimmy hill was in a real bad way dementia etc and the clips of him last night he seemed very well.
  • When was that made? Watched bits of it last night. Just im sure I read ages ago jimmy hill was in a real bad way dementia etc and the clips of him last night he seemed very well.

An old interview...
  • edited August 2014
    Stig said:

I agree Addick Addict, I was disappointed. Not enough football and not enough info on how they make the programme. Far too much meaningless chatter from Sue Johnston, Russell Brand, the Man City ladies and the like. It felt like watching one of those dreadful 100 best moments shows: all soundbite and no substance.

This this this this this. It was dreadful, all that crap about the theme tune etc.

It could have been brilliant, so many football clips to show & they talk to musicians who know & care nothing about football. Mark 1 out of 10.

Supposedly this year, but judging by the amount of people that were quoted as "speaking in 2004", I'd say that if you saw the 40th anniversary programme then you've probably seen 75% of this one.
  • Why was des lynam considered good looking?
  • Predictable mush, just a variant of I Heart The Eighties.

most ridiculous of all was Harry Redknapp's memory of watching MOTD as "a kid",.."on a 9"inch screen.". He was nearly 18 when it started...
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28867428 liked this article myself. Lineker's a legend.
  • Only watched half of it and then switched off. Thought it was poor.
  • Pretty disappointing really. Not enough older footage but I suppose the majority of the audience weren't born in the 60s and 70s and the BBC probably feel they have to reflect the demographic. It was particularly silly to try and jazz it up by involving Russell Brand. As Tut-Tut commented above, the Leeds v West Brom 1971 offside goal was a pivotal moment . Likewise, whilst the programme showed Bobby Charlton's great shot against Spurs in the Charity Shield, they completely omitted the outstanding build up play. I also find the sight of that TV twerp, Greg Dyke, irritating.

Much better, I thought, was the complete screening of the very first Match of the Day in 1964, at Anfield for the Liverpool v Arsenal game. It lasted about 45 minutes, will be on iPlayer and is worth a look. I'd seen the goals before on the 'Match of the Day; the 60s' video, but it is interesting to watch the extended highlights to see how differently (and more slowly) the game was played in those days. it is also a bit unlikely now that the home crowd will burst into spontaneous applause when the opposition score a good goal.

In the early years, only one match was shown on Saturday night, usually - but not always - from the old First Division. As for Charlton, the only time I remember us getting that slot was in the 68/69 season when my old barber at Plumstead Corner, Bert (clearly a man in the know), disclosed to me in hushed and quasi-confidential tones that Charlton v Hull was going to be on Match of the Day on Saturday. Sure enough, the scaffolding had been erected on the old East terrace when we arrived at the Valley on Saturday. Very exciting at the time. There is even a YouTube of the highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA

Amazing now to think that this game - and no other - was beamed into everyone's home that Saturday night.

I'm pretty sure that, the following season, Match of the Day then started showing two games and I remember us being on at the start of the 1969/70 season for the game at Swindon Town. I recall that there were extended highlights, although there is only a short YouTube entry of the goals (probably just as well in view of the score) and Motty's introduction reflects a regional coverage. Watch out for Arthur Horsfield, although Don Rogers and Peter Noble did the damage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8__S3A_wBw
  • Sponsored links:

• Des Lynam sounded quite hoarse when he was interviewed.
  • Why did the whole programme come to an end with Des Lynam taking a dump?
  • It was ok but why was Brand on so much and why was Piers Moron on at all?
  • ITV to bid for the highlights package again. Please no. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/20/itv-bbc-bid-premier-league-rights

We can only pray that Andy Townsend has mislaid the keys to his Tactics Truck.
  • I'd vote for any party that banned ITV from showing any sport at all. What is the point? They do not take it seriously. They have a 5 min build up to a CL game and shove in as many adverts as they can. Their Saturday night highlights effort was a joke. Who would they use to present it this time? Vernon Kaye?
    Just leave sport alone ITV and stick to what you do best, which is showing a load of old crap.
  • That ITV show was the worst ever. Story was Des wanted to get home early so it was thrown together in a rush early evening which made it even worse. Clowns!
  • Used to like the introduction to the premiership though.

It was annoying how they'd focus on 3 games then show 30 second highlights of all the other games. That's something MOTD does well. It gives all games very good coverage
  • Riviera said:

I'd vote for any party that banned ITV from showing any sport at all. What is the point? They do not take it seriously. They have a 5 min build up to a CL game and shove in as many adverts as they can. Their Saturday night highlights effort was a joke. Who would they use to present it this time? Vernon Kaye?
    Just leave sport alone ITV and stick to what you do best, which is showing a load of old crap.

Generally I'd agree but I think their Tour de France coverage is very good.