Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan away train problems

Virgin have announced that there will be no trains going into Euston on the 21st February, only going as far as Milton Keynes.

The only option to get home will be from Birmingham New Street to Marylebone.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    As a regular commuter between London and Manchester it's a bloody nightmare with all the engineering carry-on that seems to shut down the direct line between Manchester & London every other weekend. It's a complete farce, I'll just be glad that I won't have to be doing it for very much longer! I've had to do the Birmingham route a few times and it can add a couple of hours to your journey.

Wigan's a Friday night game so attendance is likely to be pisspoor anyway. I'd honestly be surprised if anyone other than myself turned up after last year's shambles.
  • Fiiish said:

As a regular commuter between London and Manchester it's a bloody nightmare with all the engineering carry-on that seems to shut down the direct line between Manchester & London every other weekend. It's a complete farce, I'll just be glad that I won't have to be doing it for very much longer! I've had to do the Birmingham route a few times and it can add a couple of hours to your journey.

Wigan's a Friday night game so attendance is likely to be pisspoor anyway. I'd honestly be surprised if anyone other than myself turned up after last year's shambles.

Reckon this has the makings of our lowest away turn-out of the season.
  • Cheers Elfsborg - do you know if that extends to Sunday 22nd too ? Was thinking of staying in the north west for the weekend and going to the Everton game on the Saturday
  • se9addick said:

Cheers Elfsborg - do you know if that extends to Sunday 22nd too ? Was thinking of staying in the north west for the weekend and going to the Everton game on the Saturday

Yes it does I'm afraid
  • se9addick said:

Cheers Elfsborg - do you know if that extends to Sunday 22nd too ? Was thinking of staying in the north west for the weekend and going to the Everton game on the Saturday

From National Rail:

---

The line between Watford Junction and London Euston will be closed on the following dates to allow for this work:
    Thursday 25 December 2014 to Sunday 28 December 2014 (the line between Wolverhampton and Stafford is also closed this weekend. You can find more information on this here)
    Saturday 14 February 2015 to Monday 16 February 2015
    Saturday 21 February 2015 to Monday 23 February 2015
    Friday 3 April 2015 to Tuesday 7 April 2015

No trains will run on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. On Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 December, a severely reduced service will run as follows:
    Virgin Trains services will start / terminate at either Rugby or Milton Keynes Central. An hourly train service will run between Birmingham International, Coventry and London Euston via the Chiltern lines.
    Virgin Trains are advising passengers to use the following routes:
    Between Manchester and London should travel via Sheffield and London St Pancras International
    Between Liverpool and London should travel via Nuneaton and Leicester
    Between Glasgow and London should travel via the East Coast mainline
    Between Birmingham International and London a direct train will run between Birmingham and London Euston via the Chiltern Lines

---

So basically unless you go back to London on the Friday night straight after the game (no idea if any trains will be running that late from Wigan or Manchester), then you're gonna have to go the long way back to London (i.e. via Brum or Sheffield).
  • edited December 2014
    The weekend before (14th Feb) is effected going out of Euston. We are scheduled to play at home to Brentford that day. But if we get to the 5th round of the FA Cup that Brentford game will be postponed as it's on the same weekend and if we get drawn away to a club in the North West in particular then it will be fun and games with the trains then as well. If it's West Midlands it might not be so bad as we could use Marylebone.
  • se9addick said:

Yes it does I'm afraid
    Fiiish said:

se9addick said:

From National Rail:

---

The line between Watford Junction and London Euston will be closed on the following dates to allow for this work:
    Thursday 25 December 2014 to Sunday 28 December 2014 (the line between Wolverhampton and Stafford is also closed this weekend. You can find more information on this here)
    Saturday 14 February 2015 to Monday 16 February 2015
    Saturday 21 February 2015 to Monday 23 February 2015
    Friday 3 April 2015 to Tuesday 7 April 2015

No trains will run on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. On Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 December, a severely reduced service will run as follows:
    Virgin Trains services will start / terminate at either Rugby or Milton Keynes Central. An hourly train service will run between Birmingham International, Coventry and London Euston via the Chiltern lines.
    Virgin Trains are advising passengers to use the following routes:
    Between Manchester and London should travel via Sheffield and London St Pancras International
    Between Liverpool and London should travel via Nuneaton and Leicester
    Between Glasgow and London should travel via the East Coast mainline
    Between Birmingham International and London a direct train will run between Birmingham and London Euston via the Chiltern Lines

---

So basically unless you go back to London on the Friday night straight after the game (no idea if any trains will be running that late from Wigan or Manchester), then you're gonna have to go the long way back to London (i.e. via Brum or Sheffield).
    Cheers chaps. What a pain, will probably still do it.
  • Fiiish said:

I'll be there. It's my bloody local team now!
  • Fiiish said:

I'll be there. It's my bloody local team now!
    Boosting the away following, good man.
  • Sponsored links:

• hotel booked.. might drive across the Pennines (hopefully spring will be in the air) or else get the train which takes about 4 hours coast to (nearly) coast
  • Advance train tickets now available for outward journey,price £12-50.
  • edited December 2014
    Advance tickets available for return journey now available, price £14.00 But this means buying ticket Wigan to Birmingham New Street & then another ticket Birmingham Snow Hill to Marylebone.
  • we'll be there, just 45 mins down the M6
  • Despondent about this train nonsense. We'd been planning to stay over in Manchester with my daughter and take in our game on the Friday, plus either Man City v Newcastle (subject to ticket availability) or, more likely, Rochdale v Chesterfield on the Saturday (ideally, all three, if City is moved to Sky).
  • Blucher said:

Despondent about this train nonsense. We'd been planning to stay over in Manchester with my daughter and take in our game on the Friday, plus either Man City v Newcastle (subject to ticket availability) or, more likely, Rochdale v Chesterfield on the Saturday (ideally, all three, if City is moved to Sky).

Numerous trains from Birmingham New Street to Marylebone at £6 singles, and you can go for £9 single from Wigan to Birmingham.
  • Thanks, Elfsborg - will have a look at this alternative
  • Due to a land-slip on the Marylebone route,the engineering works affecting trains to Euston have been cancelled & you will be able to use your pre-booked tickets into Euston,Virgin hope to release a timetable early next week.
  • According to the Virgin Trains website, the major works which are taking place just north of Watford have been postponed to allow people to have a route between London and Birmingham. A timetable for that weeknd will be published soon. So there will be a route through.

These works aere meant to happen this weekend 14th/15th and the following 21st/22nd when we played at Wigan. These are part of the same works that shut off the line for the last game of last season at Blackpool. It then shut off the line for the first three weekend of this season and again in the weekend between Chirstmas and New Yaer. It is still due to shut on Easter weekend unless the Chiltern Line hasn't re-opened. But at present that leaves at least two weekend they have to re-arrange for and hopefully it won't be the weekend we play at Birmingham. Hopefully it won't eat into the start of next season. With luck they'll do it in the close season.

Having the line re-opend for Wigan will be a help though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gutted to miss out on this as I was intending to trash Fiiish's house again.
  • Addickted said:

Gutted to miss out on this as I was intending to trash Fiiish's house again.

You still owe some kind of vase/spray-painted birch thingy.