Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar help

If anyone out there has one, just set it up, using analogue cables supplied, no sound. A few minutes searching on the web and it seems I need an optical cable (not supplied) can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ok, if you have no sound going to your soundbar at all, access the TV's menu, go to the Audio settings. Arrow down through the audio list, and you should find a Speaker On/off or a Speaker/Reciever setting. That setting activates the Audio to the soundbar.

While you're there in the Audio settings, you may find a DTS Surround setting. Set it to Surround or Auto if you do happen to have a DVD player connected to the TV using HDMI cabling. That should allow the DVD player to send the Surround IN and OUT of the TV set and over to the Optical audio connection to the soundbar.

Those two settings should get audio to the soundbar and surround from any HDMI connections from DVDs and games.
  • Will give it a try, thanks
  • No luck, only setting was to switch to external speaker (logical) but still didn't work.
  • optical cable is for surround sound.
    rca connection should work if connected correctly (audio out and the right way round)
    is there an rca/optical switch on the soundbar?
  • Double checked cables, all correct (colour coded anyway) and the setting on the Soundbar is on AUX
  • edited December 2014
    Mine is connected via optical cable, but didn't realise there was another option to be honest.
  • says to power off tv and soundbar before making connections.
    also states If you do not have audio from the Sound bar, but still have audio from your TV speakers, you must disable the TV speakers. On Samsung TV's this setting is often found in t Audio Settings menu and is labeled 'Internal Mute' or 'Speaker Select'. If your TV is not a Samsung TV, check out the Settings menu and look for the Audio options, there should be an option for disabling TV speakers. When the TV speakers are disabled, the sound is sent to the Sound bar.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00048587/74555/HW-E551/ZA
  • It is a Samsung TV, changed tv speaker select settings to external, still nothing.

Going to give Samsung support a call in the morning, cheers for your advice
  • T.C.E said:

Mine is connected via optical cable, but didn't realise there was another option to be honest.

Mine didn't come with an optical cable, but some of the reviewers on the argos website state you do need one to make it work, which does not make sense to not supply one IMO
  • They never supplied mine either and you right why not supply one even if you they add it on the price. I believe it's so they can then tell you the leads costing a tenner are rubbish, you really need to spend a bullseye to get a lead quality. They did the same thing with hdmi leads at the start, now they are supplied.
  • Sponsored links:

• I bought a new Samsung TV couple of weeks ago and couldn't get the analogue cables (red and white) to work with my receiver. After a bit of online detective work I also went for an Optical Cable and it sorted it. Yeah it's crap they don't supply decent cables with electronic goods....but they never have.

pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/tv-accessories/cables-accessories/sandstrom-av-black-series-digital-optical-audio-cable-1-m-10374242-pdt.html

• I had to go and buy an optical cable and it sorted it. Don't get fooled into paying a lot for one though!
  • Thanks all
  • Similarly story with same soundbar. New telly, new soundbar, we're all excited only to find that the brand new Samsung tv doesn't have the red and white analogue holes anywhere. Got an optical cable next morning - £10.
  • My TV is only 1 year old, but has the red & white analogue holes, still doesn't work with them
  • Just called Samsung support, it's either the optical cable I need or a HDMI cable to make it work as suspected and as others suggested. their words were "we only supply the RC cables for older model TV's" so I asked as my TV is a newer model why did you include RC connections on the TV if they are affectively redundant, no answer to that apparently....strange.
  • DA9 said:

Just called Samsung support, it's either the optical cable I need or a HDMI cable to make it work as suspected and as others suggested. their words were "we only supply the RC cables for older model TV's" so I asked as my TV is a newer model why did you include RC connections on the TV if they are affectively redundant, no answer to that apparently....strange.

Yep stupid ain't it....like they've got a job lot of analogue cables to shift so chuck them in with TVs that can't use 'em.

I only read up on Samsung TVs but If memory serves me right the newer models only send out digital signals hence why the analogue cables (even though you can fit them) don't work. Optical/HDMI/Coaxial (I think) are all digital of course.