Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was. 29th December 1984

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic (0) 4 [Lee 63,71,84. Curbishley 68] Grimsby Town (1) 1 [K. Moore 32] Att: 3,853

Charlton: Johns, Curtis, Friar, Gritt, Moore, Berry, Madden, Curbishley, Lee, Aizlewood, Flanagan. Sub Stuart.

Grimsby: Batch, Seagraves, Crombie, Folet, Nicholl, K Moore, Ford, Wilkinson, Drinkell (Cumming 54), Bonnyman, Emson.

Referee Roger Milford (Bristol)

Comments

• Roger Milford ! Wonder if he is still trotting round a parks pitch, chewing gum, patting players on the bum and saying 'well done son'.

Look at that attendance...
  • i remember mr milford was as camp as christmas, dyed blonde sort of mullet, permed barnet..he reffed west ham 1 charlton3 when was it melrose or lee scored after 9 seconds and john pearson took a month to score the 3rd, i bought the video....saddo
  • All true Charlton fans were there that day.

FACT.
  • i was 4 and wasn't. sorry.
  • I was 15 & my brother refused to take me then :-(
  • I am sure I was there -memory's not what it used to be.

Curbs scoring as well - he didn't score many which is why I seem to remember being there.
  • Would have been there if I was allowed to go. My parents wouldn't let me go to a game on my own.
  • I'm sure I'd have remembered a Lee hat-trick. I was probably playing then in the Sussex County league for Maresfield Village on Saturdays.
  • edited December 2006
    Oooops
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i was 4 and wasn't. sorry.

No excuse.

Valley Express was only 1s/6d for under 11s then.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite] I was probably playing then in the Sussex County league for Maresfield Village on Saturdays.

Nigel.
  • Well I was there....seems like I spent all my youth at the Valley or some god forsaken away ground.....ahhh those were the days....

Anybody remember the 1-0 against Bogey team Tranmere in about 1974? Powerstrike meant we had to play on a Sunday morning complete with a Tranmere side with Ron Yates.....gawd Im getting old.....about 3,000 odd at the game then too!
  • You've got no fans..........
  • The one and only Nigel Batch in goal for Grimsby.
  • Think one game we had 3001 , I was that one
  • Addled brain here, I fear. I think I remember the game, the score, the hat trick, the tiny crowd but I could have sworn it was a bright spring day. Maybe, I am getting two games mixed up; it happens at my age.
  • It was my 31st birthday that day
    I was almost certainly there, but I don't remember it
    Age is destroying my memory for detail :(
  • edited December 2014

i remember mr milford was as camp as christmas, dyed blonde sort of mullet, permed barnet..he reffed west ham 1 charlton3 when was it melrose or lee scored after 9 seconds and john pearson took a month to score the 3rd, i bought the video....saddo

Milford looked a bit like Jon Pertwee(google image and one will match).
  • I was there....wasn't this the game we were "celebrating" Sunley saving us from going under?
    Didn't John Fryer come on the pitch before the game and kick a ball towards The Covered End?
  • I was there....wasn't this the game we were "celebrating" Sunley saving us from going under?
    Didn't John Fryer come on the pitch before the game and kick a ball towards The Covered End?

No that was the season before
  • Sponsored links:

Nah, that game finished 3 - 3 and was notable (amongst other reasons) for Robert Lee scoring his first goal for Charlton.
  • Oh yeah, 3-3, course it was....cheers.
  • I remember Roger Milford had this habit of grinning broadly or laughing in the face of players who angrily challenged his decisions.
  • Think I was working in Holland at this time so missed it. Roger Milford was he the little fat guy? - excellent ref IMO if that's him. Took no nonsense.
  • The Covered End had some great banter with curly haired Nigel batch that day, I remember it well, we took more to Spurs away in the cup a week or so later (great day, The Robert Lee Pub before hand and an Aizlewood equaliser). Happy days
  • I was there that day destroyed them second half...no excuses for not being there i lived in Scotland at the time.
  • I was there in my Sergio.
  • I started some camp 'Nigel' shouts everytime he gathered the ball. By the end of the game the whole Covered End were giving it to him.

He took it in good humour and always got applauded whenever he turned out at The Valley.
  • Yes he was a character and must have enjoyed playing at The Valley back then. Out of all visiting keepers he is one I remember most. Good humoured banter and he gave as good as he got. Another visiting keeper I remember was Eric McManus of Notts County who seemed to have the habit of destroying us single-handed and saved at least 2 or 3 penalties against us as well. For some reason he always played a bloody blinder at The Valley!
  • Didn't Millford ref his final game at the valley