Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone guess what these numbers represent?

edited December 2014 in General Charlton
12 (2)
11 (1)
4 (1)
14 (1)
2 (1)
16 (?)

Comments

• Opposition corners.
  • Opposition corners.

Correct. For a total of 191 corners conceded so far this season.

Next up, I'm going to work out how many of those corners have results in a goal being conceded.

Would be fantastic to see some sort of comparison to see how many goals we ship per corner compared to another teams in our league.
  • edited December 2014
    Green means O10.5 match corners, red under.

Click it to enlarge it... (the picture)
  • Opening post now edited to include the number of goals conceded from corners either directly or indirectly. If anyone could tell me how many were conceded from corners tonight, I'd be grateful.
  • edited December 2014
    Before tonight's game, we had conceded 175 corners so far this season with a goal resulting from 6 of those corners.

That gives a 3.43% chance of a corner leading to a goal conceded. Or put another way, 1 goal conceded every 29 corners.
  • Busy night tonight is it Callum? :-)
  • edited December 2014
    Not at all, as it goes! :-)

Just trying to get my head around the stats.

Is zonal marking really our downfall or rather the sheer number of corners we are conceding? The stats cannot really suggest either without some sort of context. Just need to find an efficient way of providing that context...
  • I seem to remember us conceding quite a few goals from free kicks too. My instant reaction every time is that it's been poor marking i.e. zonal marking has failed again. Just how I remember a lot of our conceded goals, might be wrong though and it's just my dislike of zonal marking that is clouding my view.
  • DRAddick said:

I seem to remember us conceding quite a few goals from free kicks too. My instant reaction every time is that it's been poor marking i.e. zonal marking has failed again. Just how I remember a lot of our conceded goals, might be wrong though and it's just my dislike of zonal marking that is clouding my view.

Spot on, I think more interesting would be how many goals we have conceded from set plays not including direct free kicks. The Cardiff throw Saturday was exactly the same as a corner basically.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's harder to gauge how many long throws were conceded. I have the same problem with free kicks. I could just take the foul count from each game but that would include fouls in the opposition penalty area. In which case I may as well count goals that resulted from goal kicks.

It's not that I don't want to include them. It just fast becomes grey rather than black & white. Corners are a sample of how I'd expect us to deal with ALL set pieces.
  • What I was meaning was more on the lines of simply how many of our goals have been conceded from set pieces rather than how many set pieces have we had to defend. Maybe not fool proof but I reckon it would be at least one in three which is too high whatever.
  • It's harder to gauge how many long throws were conceded. I have the same problem with free kicks. I could just take the foul count from each game but that would include fouls in the opposition penalty area. In which case I may as well count goals that resulted from goal kicks.

It's not that I don't want to include them. It just fast becomes grey rather than black & white. Corners are a sample of how I'd expect us to deal with ALL set pieces.

You say that mate, but I disagree. Here's why. I don't think the problem is the zonal marking. We do it well as far as I can remembe. I am fairly certain that tonight was the first time we have conceded a goal directly from the corner. (Even then it was a goal line scramble). Actually thinking about it, Blackpool aswell, still though. Two all season.

However I think the problem is our organisation after we clear the original ball in. When we are rushing out after attempting (normally badly, granted) a clearance, the ball comes in and there is no one within a million miles of the ball.

I'm thinking of the second goal tonight, Brighton x2 etc etc. In fact it doesn't stop there you think the two Leeds goals following the clearances and then Ipswich at home.

There just seems to be a problem of conceding after we get rid of the ball from our penalty area, and perhaps not the inititial zonal marking at the set piece.
  • Play it out from the back vs hoofing it?

You say that mate, but I disagree. Here's why. I don't think the problem is the zonal marking. We do it well as far as I can remembe. I am fairly certain that tonight was the first time we have conceded a goal directly from the corner. (Even then it was a goal line scramble). Actually thinking about it, Blackpool aswell, still though. Two all season.

However I think the problem is our organisation after we clear the original ball in. When we are rushing out after attempting (normally badly, granted) a clearance, the ball comes in and there is no one within a million miles of the ball.

I'm thinking of the second goal tonight, Brighton x2 etc etc. In fact it doesn't stop there you think the two Leeds goals following the clearances and then Ipswich at home.

There just seems to be a problem of conceding after we get rid of the ball from our penalty area, and perhaps not the inititial zonal marking at the set piece.
    You could definitely be onto something. Although against Brighton, the first goal came direct from the corner.
  • Well, shit, haha! My point is holding up less and less then! Started with just tonight, then Blackpool and now Brighton haha.

Still maintain that the condeding of goals after an initial piece of defending is the bigger issue than the zonal marking though.

A quick glance through highlights and rough assessment suggests Both Brighton goals, Wolves, Brum, both Blackpool, Cardiff and whatever tonight have come from dead ball situations. Few more from crosses into the box with the scorer not picked up . I questimate about a 3rd of goals conceeded have been from dead balls into the box, 2nd phase after a clearance and crosses where marking has been poor.

As you say some of them are down to the second phase after an initial clearance but surely that's all still part of the zonal marking? If they can't immediately adjust to deal after the clearance then that's a sign it's a factor..
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRxxN91ZcI&feature=youtu.be

Corner comes in, away. Straight back to the corner taker, away again. This time its straight to an opposition player at the edge of the box, fizzed in. Scramble, goal. Simple as that.

Seen it before. Ipswich at home just a month ago, Morgan Fox clearance ... doh!

Or Leeds away ... twice!

Now I'm not sure what there is to be done about that, other than taking a man off the post to stand at the edge of the box to mop up the pieces perhaps.
    12 (2)
    11 (1)
    4 (1)
    14 (1)
    2 (1)
    16 (?)

Impressed with your work.

I would be interested to know how many corners we have had, coupled with our possession % in games.
  • Sponsored links:

12 (2)
    11 (1)
    4 (1)
    14 (1)
    2 (1)
    16 (?)

Our away followings next season in League One ?
    hahahahahahahaha, funniest line this year.