Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich. Good luck to 'em

Well that was going downhill from the warmup onwards but I would like to say something positive about Ipswich. Throughout the evening, starting in the train up, we were accosted by Ipswich fans, and they were all friendly, generous towards Charlton and anxious to share their loathing of Norwich. The designated away fan pub is good, even if it is stupid to clo se it afterwards. To be fair friendly plod showed us where we could buy an overpriced Beck's. That was a decent crowd at 26,000. Took a long time to get going, but when it did, there was a real wall of sound, which I haven't heard for a while. Back in the station we had plenty of time to contemplate the mural in the main hall. It's dominated by football imagery, Sir Alf, Sir bobby, and more surprisingly Matt Holland were prominent.

Their team is a nice blend of experience and talented youth, and there was nothing about their tactics you could complain about.

I concluded that Ipswich is a town with football in its soul, and I'd much rather see them go up than any of the other candidates.

Comments

• Im hoping Ipswich and Derby get top two of the teams seriously going for promotion this season, really hope Bournemouth dont get rewarded for their reckless business no matter how exciting they might be on the pitch.
  • Good turnout, but thought they were very quiet especially considering the attendance.
  • always is very quiet at ipswich, on par with us for home noise
  • edited December 2014
    A decent crowd at 26000 !!
    The place was bursting at the seams
    We wouldn't get 26000 if we gave the tickets away
  • They were very quiet considering the numbers and their form.

Don't mind them as a club but Big Mick and his brand of anti football gets on my tits at times. I didn't once think last night that they played attractive football but if you can bully your way out of this league then fair play to them.
  • Touch of sour grapes?

If we were in their position would we care about the style of play or just be happy with an unbeaten run and victories.

Some of our play this season has been dire.

• iaitch said:

Touch of sour grapes?

If we were in their position would we care about the style of play or just be happy with an unbeaten run and victories.

Some of our play this season has been dire.

No not really, thought my last sentence would have cleared that up.

• Ok sorry I missed that.

Not sure about the anti-football comment, they play to their strengths and get the results.

What is the right way to play? I find this ticcy taccy stuff a bit boring at times, so much passing and no end result but hoofball (a la Cambridge United days) can be equally as dull.

• Would much rather have Bournemouth succeed than the Suffolk inbreds.
    Imagine Arter, Francis and Kermit in the top flight.

At the moment there is a fair chance both will go up.
  • Sponsored links:

I would like Bournemouth to go up too, not least because it should give our lot some pause for thought, but you cannot say that Bournemouth as a town has a football soul. When you think about it, Ipswich have punched above their weight for 40+ years as a football town.

I remember in 2000 when they rained on our Champions parade, most of their fans stayed behind to applaud us when we got the trophy.

I would like Bournemouth to go up too, not least because it should give our lot some pause for thought, but you cannot say that Bournemouth as a town has a football soul. When you think about it, Ipswich have punched above their weight for 40+ years as a football town.

I remember in 2000 when they rained on our Champions parade, most of their fans stayed behind to applaud us when we got the trophy.
    Bournemouth with Eddie Howe, how about us with Karl Robinson?
  • If we don't go up (which clearly we won't) then I would want Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham to go up... Not a fan of any of them but the less 'parachute monied clubs' in The Champ the better it is for us next season. Next would be the likes of Bournemouth and Forest who are throwing money around and will continue to do so until their owners lose interest.

Sad to say it as previously I would have always supported the under dog.
  • If we don't go up (which clearly we won't) then I would want Norwich, Cardiff, Fulham to go up... Not a fan of any of them but the less 'parachute monied clubs' in The Champ the better it is for us next season. Next would be the likes of Bournemouth and Forest who are throwing money around and will continue to do so until their owners lose interest.

Actually many teams coming down from the PL seem to go down the plughole second season, Wigan being the latest example. I guess it's when the effects of having all those highly paid passengers on your wage bill causes problems

Actually many teams coming down from the PL seem to go down the plughole second season, Wigan being the latest example. I guess it's when the effects of having all those highly paid passengers on your wage bill causes problems

And a few have ended up in League 1.
  • edited January 2015
    Sorry Elfsborg...I lol'd that only because I see Robinson as a limited, gobby scouser.

Howe, on the other hand, seems to have something about him.
  • TelMc32 said:

Sorry Elfsborg...I lol'd that only because I see Robinson as a limited, gobby scouser.

Your alright, you only lol'd me. I have a limited knowledge of football!
  • A decent crowd at 26000 !!
    The place was bursting at the seams
    We wouldn't get 26000 if we gave the tickets away

Portman Road holds 30,000 but that's the fullest I've seen it for many a year.

Last bumper crowd I saw there was when they beat Arsenal 1-0 in the Carling Cup semi-final 4 years ago. Tamas Priskin scored the 78th minute winner in front of a 29,000+ crowd.

Tamas Priskin - now we moan about current CAFC strikers - if he'd been one of ours this forum would have burst at the seams - so frustrating and a player who definitely flattered to deceive. Possibly Roy Keane's worst signing while in charge - in hindsight, of course.
  • TelMc32 said:

I don't believe that at all. It's all about opinions. I WILL always bow to your knowledge on travel arrangements though!! :wink:
  • edited January 2015

TelMc32 said:

In that case you may be a late contender for the palace job.
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

TelMc32 said:

I don't believe that at all. It's all about opinions. I WILL always bow to your knowledge on travel arrangements though!! :wink:
    And that is because of limited funds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TelMc32 said:

TelMc32 said:

And that is because of limited funds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    With the prices train companies try to get away with, your posts are invaluable on those threads. Thanks E. :smile:

I know what you mean but the difference is Cardiff and Fulham are bot how ed by multi-billionaires and Norwich have no debt and significant cash in the bank. They will be strong sooner or later.
  • I like Ipswich - see them as a club of similar size to us who can compete in the top half of the Championship with occassional forays into the Premier League.

However, I do remember how sore they were after the 97/98 season when they beat us twice in the league but we thoroughly outplayed them over the two legs in the plY-offs

Anyone from within 100 miles of Suffolk who I met for a good three or four years after banged on about how we were lucky to beat them!