Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1968/69 Season: Charlton Athletic 1 - 1 Hull City

Found this great youtube video. Anyone there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA

Comments

• Superb find Absurdistan. I was there, it was a great season that one, loved seeing all those players again. Thank you.
  • seth plum said:

Superb find Absurdistan. I was there, it was a great season that one, loved seeing all those players again. Thank you.

Was a cracking match, so unlucky not to win it. Was pleasantly surprised by some of the skill on show. (before my time). Some great tackling and nice to see players getting up quick or the game continuing while they recovered.
  • edited January 2015
    Remember the game. Remember all of the Charlton players and, indeed, most of the Hull players. Chilton and Wagstaff were a handful and Simpkin was a very good Div 2 player.

Other noteworthy things or things that I had forgotten:

• The shortness of the shorts
    • Bob Curtis’s blond hair (I’d completely forgotten that)
    • Did Peacock have a good day or was he better than I remembered?
    • The sound of a rattle
    • The chant of ‘In the net’
    • Charlie Wright being left footed
    • Treacy wearing 9 and Tees wearing 8
    • The way the BBC displayed the scorer….Tees appearing in the middle of the screen in a big font

Great stuff, @Absurdistan‌.

• I was there. Two very good sides. In its way the match was typical of the whole season - we just fell a little short. I clearly remember that for this rare visit from the cameras feeling disappointed we didn't manage to get the win and show people just how good we were. A draw not a real disaster, I guess, with only two points for a win in those days.

The fourth win-less game in a row but only one defeat in the next eleven, culminating in the epic home 2-0 defeat of Derby on Jan 18. A memorable period, indeed.
  • Rememner the game. Remember all of the Charlton players and, indeed, most of the Hull players. Chilton and Wagstaff were a handful and Simpkin was a very good Div 2 player.

Other noteworthy things or things that I had forgotten:

• The shortness of the shorts
    • Bob Curtis’s blond hair (I’d completely forgotten that)
    • Did Peacock have a good day or was he better than I remembered?
    • The sound of a rattle
    • The chant of ‘In the net’
    • Cbarlie Wright being left footed
    • Treacy wearing 9 and Tees wearing 8
    • The way the BBC displayed the scorer….Tees appearing in the middle of the screen in a big font

Great stuff, @Absurdistan‌.

Fantastic footage. I would add to the above the fact that keepers didn't in those days have to be 6' 4" or wear gloves and bookings didn't follow every foul.
  • Great find!

Dear old Kenneth Wolstenholme doing the commentary, analysis and everything! They thought of the licence fee payer in those days!

Made me for late for work but brought back some great memories.

Thanks for sharing.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/8592697540

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • we drew too may home games during this period we would have been promoted otherwise
  • Brilliant. Spookily was looking for that yesterday as brother and i in it.

Favourite players Curtis and Campbell. Solly must be cloned from Curtis. Uncanny resemblemce in style.

Also the fast passing football with numbers forward. The great pitch! The range of chants.
  • Bit before my time but The Valley, what memories...