Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Being Careful What You Wish For

edited January 2015 in General Charlton
I remember when the old OS had "Your Views" a few fans were calling for Murray OUT! Yes he made mistakes. But I said look where we were when he came in. We had no ground. Basically "Be careful what you wish for". (That then went on to be the title of Tango Man's autobiography).

Inbetween Murray and RD we had Slater and Jimenez.

Now we have RD and had the public protests in recent weeks, I wonder how those heavy Murray critics back then feel now? Ok Murray is still in the background if not as hands on as he was but I wonder how the critics are now feeling about those changes and with hindsight wishing they still had Murray more hands on.

Comments

• Is that the same Murray that bought us Dowie,Reed and Pardew?
  • and ten years of premiership football.

• Inbetween Murray and RD we had Slater and Jimenez.

... and who passed the baton to them..?

• All I wish for is our Charlton back.......

Never going to happen unless we get fans ownership either through a benevolent fan or a fans buy out through the trust or other fans organisation.

• @AddickFC81

Out of interest, what would stop you going to a game ?

Genuine question
  • Can I just say, that to forget about the past and lets worry about the incumbents in charge now of our football club right now. How can we force them out
  • Kap10 said:

All I wish for is our Charlton back.......

Never going to happen unless we get fans ownership either through a benevolent fan or a fans buy out through the trust or other fans organisation.

True. Either scenario requires an awful lot of money with no realistic prospect of a return. I can only see two possible long-term outcomes. One involves a sale to a very wealthy foreign owner prepared to fund excessive salaries and transfer fees in the hope of some PL action ( but why us?) and the other involves finding a level at which we can hope to break even on turnover meaning settling for L1 at best and heavy reliance on yoof. The former carries the risk that the owner gets bored and wants his money back some day rather than writing it all off.

The other alternative is that RD's plan A delivers and that's not looking promising. That is the reality of where we are.
  • What I meant was, ok you want Murray out, BUT did you want to be in a situation where you wanted to be unhappy with another owner?

I keep reading we want our Charlton back? What is it you exactly want back?
    I just don't get it? I know the club doesn't feel right at the moment but when has it?
    Ok we had a little lift by winning league 1 but the 4 or 5 years before were grim unless making league 1 playoffs is classed as acheivment? All these fans in the 16/20 bracket can surely only remember our slippery slide out the prem and beyond so what is it there asking for back?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Maybee you all want the hoofball under parky back or the realy dire football under dowies short spell and the wasted 10mill or the wasted money pardew spent and the slippery slope to oblivion he sent us on ? Or the the humiliation we suffered at the hands of northwich Victoria
    Personally my low point was our loss the 1st day of season to Exeter 1st game of the season a few years back after a 10 hour round trip and my outburst on talksport on the way back!
    So do I want my Charlton back?
    No not realy
  • timken said:

and ten years of premiership football.

erm 98/99

2000/2001
    01/02
    02/03
    03/04
    04/05
    05/06
    06/07

8 premiership seasons... not 10 years at all.
  • Dazzler21 said:

timken said:

and ten years of premiership football.

erm 98/99

2000/2001
    01/02
    02/03
    03/04
    04/05
    05/06
    06/07

8 premiership seasons... not 10 years at all.
    Hands up if you'd like 8 years of prem football on our current horizon. Or would you prefer being one of the lowest scoring and "least winning at home" championship strugglers?

I think what is disheartening so many on here is not a lack of realism but a lack of a sense of hope.
  • But since then we've had 7 years of total shite
  • Murray has been clueless for years.

He wanted a new coaching system for when Curbs left, appointed assistant and first team coaches before appointing an actual head coach (why Billy Davies turned us down).

Appointed Les Reed after getting rid of Dowie and then went on to blame signings to the media.

Should never have appointed parky full time as he had not won a single game in caretaker charge.

He said he would never sell the club to unstable owners... Cash, Jimenez and Slater were unstable owners.

RD is not unstable but he has changed the identity of our club in the last year. Fans are becoming more and more disillusioned with signings and manager appointments.
  • Murray has been clueless for years.

He said he would never sell the club to unstable owners... Cash, Jimenez and Slater were unstable owners.

You can only sell to someone who wants to buy. Murray was a proper fan who spent a small fortune and did deliver some great times during his tenure. Like everyone he made mistakes but I would love another Richard Murray to come walking out of the mist now, clutching a chequebook. Because he cared about Charlton Athletic.

So I guess what people want back is the eight years before that then? Not hard to understand.
  • I'm sure there's plenty of fans from the likes of sheff utd ,Leeds,wolves etc who all want their prem league years back?
  • I didn't want Murray out then, but I couldn't care less now, he never stood up and protected Powells job or Rigas, he's meant to be some sort of power head at the club but yet life long supporters that held jobs at the clubs were also shipped out. There is also no evidence of any input on any signings or hirings. He doesn't even communicate with the fans anymore.

I thank Murray for helping us out of exile and for our 8 premiership seasons but my loyalties towards him have been gone since he turned his back on everyone mentioned above, along with all respect.

To be fair to him he has no power and is as much having to accept what RD says as we are.

However, I feel the same way that you do in that I no longer believe it makes much difference to the club if he's there or not.
  • Sponsored links:

Lets be fair, 11/12 wasn't shite.

I just don't get it? I know the club doesn't feel right at the moment but when has it?
    Ok we had a little lift by winning league 1 but the 4 or 5 years before were grim unless making league 1 playoffs is classed as acheivment? All these fans in the 16/20 bracket can surely only remember our slippery slide out the prem and beyond so what is it there asking for back?
    Just a club where the fans, players, and owners are pulling the same way. The club that showed Clive Mendonca around London and said we really want you.

• Curbishley held us together , he left and we melted

Don't disagree oohaah but for a long time he was far from a fans favourite (particularly after RM choosing him over Gritty when he ended the dual managership).

This is near enough what I wrote on another forum regarding what I feel "our charlton" means.
    Technically it is "ours" we pay the bills and wages, we spend hundreds of thousands on shirts sponsorships, match tickets, season tickets, club merchandise, bar memberships, valley gold etc etc. Without people doing this there would be no charlton!

But "our charlton" is the one where we can csn go on vslley tours and feel proud, where we watch a match where the players plsy their hearts out for an enthusiastic crowd and whether we won or lost they shared our joy/pain. It was when we had a manager (not head coach) on the touch line that cared not just about the pay check but everyone of us, it was when we were kept in the loop with all news good and bad, it's when we felt at home at home and we actually enjoyed supporting charlton. It was when CAFC was a hobby, a part of our life, we felt part of a bigger family, it was fun and we were loud and proud. We were United and we were a football club as one. Not a belgian millionaires play thing!

Lets be fair, 11/12 wasn't shite.
    No but we realy shouldn't have dropped to league 1 in the 1st place
    So to win league 1 wasn't that great an achievement
  • It's not about winning or losing, nor about the league we are in. It's about the ethos of the club, the relationship with fans, the whole essence of CAFC. I would prefer to be where we were in December 1992 with so much to look forward to, despite all the problems, than where we are now where the only prospects are relegation and a club being ripped apart from inside.