Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

University Challange

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
A round last night was on "London Football Culture" and the questions were:

Which team runs out to the Red, Red, Robin?

What does TOOFIF stand for?

"One - Nil to the Arsenal is sang to the tune of which 1979 hit?

Comments

• blimey, probably the only UC round i would ever get right !

The middle one is pretty obscure though, you'd have to be a proper football fan to know that.
  • Even harder when Paxman read it out as "two-fifth" rather than seeing it written down.
  • Is it a similar format to University Challenge?

I always thought there were two 'f's in Fuham.
  • Ok then, I will be the one that asks what does TOOFIF stand for?

BTW (Charlton Athletic and Go West)
  • charlton
    there only one f in foolham
    go west tune one nil to the arsenal

btw i watched it ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Is it a similar format to University Challenge?

When digging people out for their spelling then at least check that you don't leave a L out of Fulham. ;-)

TOOFIF stands for There's only one F in Fulham.
  • toofif, never heard of it! who are foolham again?
  • lol, exactly ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Is it a similar format to University Challenge?

When digging people out for their spelling then at least check that you don't leave a L out of Fulham. ;-)

TOOFIF stands for There's only one F in Fulham.

Shouldn't that be an 'L'?
  • No, a L is correct. An should only be used with a vowel.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]No, a L is correct. An should only be used with a vowel.

Or an 'h'.

But L is pronounced El and therefore should have an an preceeding it, particularly if you've had an hell of a morning. ;-)

AFKA, can we start a pedants forum?
  • There's Only One F in Fulham

One of the original football fanzine brigade. First come across it when we were playing away at Notts County. Was getting the coach from Bexleyheath and the coach never turned up. Decided to get the train over to Fulham and watch them v Orient. Walking to the ground, the seller was giving it large, then shouted 'even Charlton fans will enjoy it'. He'd recognised the collar of the shirt poking out my mates jacket.
  • Stop bickering.

We need a united front.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Stop bickering.

We need a united front.

We're playing not bickering.

Besides, I'm holding £40 of his which could quite easily be used for beer money on Saturday!
  • "AFKA, can we start a pedants forum?"

Shouldn't that be a pedant's forum?

Just saying...
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]"AFKA, can we start a pedants forum?"
    Shouldn't that be a pedant's forum?
    Just saying...

Not much point having a forum for one person, surely a pedants' forum would be more appropriate?
  • It would be "pedants' forum" if there was more than one pedant. Thankfully there is only Addickted in this forum so pedant's is correct.

N. Did you ring the club and ask for a discount on a shirt? Also how many NA contributors are on here anyway?
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Stop bickering.

We need a united front.
    We're playing not bickering.
    Besides, I'm holding £40 of his which could quite easily be used for beer money on Saturday!

'Twas just an excuse to say "a united front"

[cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]No, a L is correct. An should only be used with a vowel.
    Or an 'h'.

An hotel ???
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It would be "pedants' forum" if there was more than one pedant. Thankfully there is only Addickted in this forum so pedant's is correct.

N. Did you ring the club and ask for a discount on a shirt? Also how many NA contributors are on here anyway?

No, I didn't - but then I'm not quite sure which players are still going to be with us in February. I may wait until then and see firstly who (or is it whom?) is available. However, I'm now in a bit of a quandary as to which Board it should be done on.

(And yes, it should be 'an hotel')
  • edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite][cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]

I'll have a fiver of that please :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite](And yes, it should be 'an hotel')

Only if you drop yer aitches.

What about "an hostel"?
  • A is used before consonants, an before a vowel sound.

A comes before words that begin with a u, but are pronounced as though they began with a y: a union; a useful gadget.

An comes before a silent h: an heir; an honour. Some people still use an before h in words from French, where the h was silent: an hotel.

Hostels are only used by students.
  • well when i arrange it i will let you know, your right it would be good to meet up