Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Katrien Miere article (Evening Standard)

Comments

• I take the interview with a pinch of salt. Slow newsday due to no football this week, lets go interview a good looking CEO.

I will be more impressed with her if we keep a manager/coach longer than the 3 they have sacked and on the playing staff, who stays and who go's.
    That said, I want her to suceed. If she does the football should be more enjoyable than some of tripe we've been served in recent years.

They've only sacked two managers.

One who led us to the bottom of the league and one who was leading us there.

• Interesting they looked at Fulham, wasn't aware of that. That would have been around 7-8 months before they bought Charlton, and (I assume though what she says kind of disputes that), before KM started working for RD ?

Think KM did work for RD before she became an employee.

The interest in Premiership Fulham indicates the probable availability of substantial funds for football related spending.
    I thought in yesterday's Sky piece she said she'd worked for RD for two months b fore coming here (I may be wrong)

In the BBC programme she said that RD was a client of hers when she was in a law firm and he offered her a job a few months before she joined Charlton.

• "We give him a new life at Charlton."

Sounds like a witness protection racket.

Interesting back four heading our way...

I'd be made up if we got them.
  • Hi all,

The interview has been changed online now (and hopefully in the final version of today's Standard) as there was a misunderstanding relating to the section on Fulham. Katrien didn't say there was any interest in purchasing Fulham before the takeover at Charlton.

--> http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/katrien-meire-ive-had-frightening-abuse-from-charlton-fans-but-i-love-leading-role-10131362.html

IL

• You are very cynical lately TRR.
  • Curb_It said:

She's certainly going on a charm offensive.

Ok i think it safe to say that she's now said her piece about Charlton fans being abusive. Time to put it behind her, I wouldnt want her to come across as playing at being a victim.

She's a CEO of a championship club. You got to take the rough with the smooth regardless of what sex you are.

And this doesnt mean I agree with people screaming in her face.

Thing is that as a rarity (female CEO) she is going to be asked about being a woman in football at every interview just as SCP was asked about being a Black manager.

And journos will have seen the Watford video and so will ask about that. To that extent the Standard controls the agenda. The alternative is to do interviews or write articles in the programme or for the OS but that will have a smaller audience.

The Watford incident makes a "good story" and is seen as being of more interest to their general readership than spending or transfers which are of more interest to most of us on CL.

I think those anti-the network made a big tactical error when they started calling her "incompetent" and demanded to speak to Roland over her head. She is smart but she is human and is hardly likely to respond positively to such remarks/tactics. It has, I believe, made it less likely that she will talk to them and less likely to take advice, even if it is well meaning, from certain fans and groups. Maybe she is using that as an excuse not to speak to them as some have claimed but who handed her that excuse on a plate?

She has been saying for a while that mistakes were made last season. That I think we all agree on.

I like her, her heart is in the right place and she, I'm told, works very hard and has a lot of respect from those she works with.

But, and you knew that there has to be a but, it shouldn't be about her and is she a nice person.

That is a bonus but for me the test is how well is the club being run and are we moving forward? Do we have the stability, the capacity and the resources to progress on and off the pitch.

We've not seen much stability but maybe that will change. But Luzon as only been here a couple of months so too early to claim we are now stable.

The key issues for me were and remain the investment in the infrastructure and in the team.

The pitch, the seats, the further refurbishment of the Valley this summer (ignorantly dismissed as £1m on air con by those that don't understand or don't want to understand) but most importantly the training ground are all example of long term infrastructure improvements. And they are needed after the mess left by the last lot and just because any business needs to be kept uptodate.

On the team money has been spent. The shame is that quite often is has been misspent. We can say that was last year but Tuchedean and Lepoint were this year and we still have Polish Pete, Reza and Nego on the books.

To progress on the third lowest budget in the division we can't be just as good as the other clubs with recruitment we need to be much much better. Igor, JBG and Tony Watt show we can but remember TWWW is only here because he flopped at Standard. That was good fortune not good planning.

The signings of Eagles, Diarra and Johnson appear to be herald a change in policy but are they? I hope so but we'll shall see over the summer if those sort of players are the first choice in July rather than the emergency purchases in February when things are going wrong. Two and half years for Lepoint makes me think that not everything has changed yet.

I'm positive and feel that we might be moving in the right direction but the bumpy ride continues for a while yet

Great balanced post Henry.
  • You are very cynical lately TRR.

You're right. I'm sure the Evening Standard journalist just plucked that quote out of thin air.
  • edited March 2015
    Breaking news..........
    Katrien Meire is replacing Michael Portillo on the Great British Football Railway Journeys.
    She is also replacing Aggie Mackenzie in Channel 4 new show "lifting the Lid on the toilets of Britain." (starting at Sparrows lane)
    She is also writing a column in the Evening Standard. "The Charlton Standard"
    telling of the tale of two cities, and who's next for the chop.
    The great British bake off has been axed by the Beeb and is being replaced by
    "A Belgium Waffle by the Kat who got the Cream"

Karen Brady is seen looking over her shoulder at the young upstart and has just sacked her agent.
  • You're right. I'm sure the Evening Standard journalist just plucked that quote out of thin air.

The Standard amended the story immediately after reviewing the audio version of their interview with Katrien, which shows it was a mistake initially.
  • Hi all,

The interview has been changed online now (and hopefully in the final version of today's Standard) as there was a misunderstanding relating to the section on Fulham. Katrien didn't say there was any interest in purchasing Fulham before the takeover at Charlton.

--> http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/katrien-meire-ive-had-frightening-abuse-from-charlton-fans-but-i-love-leading-role-10131362.html

IL

How did the Standard confuse Fulham with Ipswich? : - )
    I wouldn't read the standard even if it was free.

To be fair its good for lining the bottom of a rodents cage
  • Sponsored links:

• The point about having the third lowest budget in the Championship troubles me, IF it implies that that is where Roland and Katrien plan to keep it. Unless they are utter genius' at unearthing high quality talent at very low cost (i.e. free plus low-ish wages) and/or Guy is fantastic at coaching superior performances from average talent, sooner or later the budget will be reflected in league position. I want to see us challenging in the top half, not struggling near the bottom.
  • I really thought Le Point was on loan. God damn it. How much are we supposed to have spent on him?
  • RedPanda said:

I really thought Le Point was on loan. God damn it. How much are we supposed to have spent on him?

No, 2.5 year deal.

Transfermarket values him at £1.32m and that is the most reliable site in the world, ever.
  • You're right. I'm sure the Evening Standard journalist just plucked that quote out of thin air.

The Standard amended the story immediately after reviewing the audio version of their interview with Katrien, which shows it was a mistake initially.
    So where did the story come from then?
  • Davo55 said:

The point about having the third lowest budget in the Championship troubles me, IF it implies that that is where Roland and Katrien plan to keep it. Unless they are utter genius' at unearthing high quality talent at very low cost (i.e. free plus low-ish wages) and/or Guy is fantastic at coaching superior performances from average talent, sooner or later the budget will be reflected in league position. I want to see us challenging in the top half, not struggling near the bottom.

We had a budget in line with Rochdale the season we bought League one didn't we according to what we told the press. If you come out and say "We are willing to shell out a fortune to get promoted" then every chairman and agent from here to timbuktu will be rubbing their hands together in glee as they decide on by how much to over- inflate their player to sell to us and demand in wages.
  • Davo55 said:

The point about having the third lowest budget in the Championship troubles me, IF it implies that that is where Roland and Katrien plan to keep it. Unless they are utter genius' at unearthing high quality talent at very low cost (i.e. free plus low-ish wages) and/or Guy is fantastic at coaching superior performances from average talent, sooner or later the budget will be reflected in league position. I want to see us challenging in the top half, not struggling near the bottom.

We had a budget in line with Rochdale the season we bought League one didn't we according to what we told the press. .
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

No, that was never said and certainly not to the press.

• Davo55 said:

We had a budget in line with Rochdale the season we bought League one didn't we according to what we told the press. If you come out and say "We are willing to shell out a fortune to get promoted" then every chairman and agent from here to timbuktu will be rubbing their hands together in glee as they decide on by how much to over- inflate their player to sell to us and demand in wages.
    Sure, but why not keep quiet on the subject completely? If "third lowest" is patently understated no agents etc will believe it anyway. If it's true, and they plan to keep it that way, it sound like they are managing expectations accordingly.
  • edited March 2015
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Sure, but why not keep quiet on the subject completely? If "third lowest" is patently understated no agents etc will believe it anyway. If it's true, and they plan to keep it that way, it sound like they are managing expectations accordingly.
    You've only got to run down the league table to see that could well be the case. All those clubs with parachute payments, the clubs with a larger fan base, etc, etc. Mind you, there's "budget" then there's "actual".....
  • Davo55 said:

We had a budget in line with Rochdale the season we bought League one didn't we according to what we told the press. .

Relax. Deary me.
  • Davo55 said:

Relax. Deary me.
    See you cut out the important bit about you being completely wrong. Oh dear indeed.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we're the 3rd lowest, then that means only 2 clubs will be lower than us, presumably Rotherham and Blackpool. Does that mean that the likes of Millwall and Huddersfield have higher budget than us, as that sounds a bit surprising?

• “When we were here at Charlton the first time and walked round to see the condition of the stadium, we were told the club didn’t have money to repair the ovens in the kitchen. It was really very weird that you don’t have a couple of hundred pounds. Most of the players were at the end of their contracts when we took over. They just didn’t want to invest in players any more.”

But everything was OK under Slater and Jimenez?
    You don't like em, we get it.

We were a Championship club without a pot to piss in, just like everyone else then.
  • Rodders, just say Solly.

Whisper it though, you weren't wrong....

#iwasthere

And I was sitting next to him so 1 it wasn't said to the press and 2 he said not that much more than Rochdale not the "same" as or "in line" with and 3. he was referring to the his first half season not to the season after when we won the league.

But other than that totally accurate

Davo55 said:

Relax. Deary me.
    See you cut out the important bit about you being completely wrong. Oh dear indeed.
    My response was aimed at the completely melodramatic pained whine!

If it validates your afternoon and for the avoidance of doubt.... Henry Irving you were correct ... I was mistaken... I bow to your superior knowledge of all things Charlton and dream of the day when I can post with enough factual accuracy to escape such condemning "Aaaaaaaaaaaarghs" in future.

Christ in tears.

Relax and stop being so passive aggressive

Duchatelet had long wanted an ¬English club and weighed up Fulham before Shahid Khan’s takeover in the summer of 2013. “The idea was to buy a club in London because London is attractive for everybody: investors and players,” says Meire.

When I ask why didn’t you buy Fulham she laughs and then says: “At the time I think the price was a bit too high, they were still in the Premier League. Also the idea is to have clubs at different levels

It was the reporter that suggested Fulham.
  • I could be overanalysing here but the 'third lowest budget' could refer to transfers etc from outside network clubs, intra-network loans could theoretically be passed off without fees (the progenitor club being the one who pays 100% of the wages) thanks to RD being in charge at both and basically paying himself. It would make a bit more sense than spending 2million plus on Vetokele and the wages of the likes of Ben Haim and Buyens and JBG (all of them considerable I would think) and STILL contriving to have the third lowest overall. Or maybe not. I dunno.
  • Rodders, just say Solly.

Whisper it though, you weren't wrong....

#iwasthere

And I was sitting next to him so 1 it wasn't said to the press and 2 he said not that much more than Rochdale not the "same" as or "in line" with and 3. he was referring to the his first half season not to the season after when we won the league.

But other than that totally accurate

Davo55 said:

Relax. Deary me.
    My response was aimed at the completely melodramatic pained whine!

If it validates your afternoon and for the avoidance of doubt.... Henry Irving you were correct ... I was mistaken... I bow to your superior knowledge of all things Charlton and dream of the day when I can post with enough factual accuracy to escape such condemning "Aaaaaaaaaaaarghs" in future.

Christ in tears.

Relax and stop being so passive aggressive
    hahahaha

Duchatelet had long wanted an ¬English club and weighed up Fulham before Shahid Khan’s takeover in the summer of 2013. “The idea was to buy a club in London because London is attractive for everybody: investors and players,” says Meire.

When I ask why didn’t you buy Fulham she laughs and then says: “At the time I think the price was a bit too high, they were still in the Premier League. Also the idea is to have clubs at different levels

It was the reporter that suggested Fulham.
    How would she know the price was too high?