Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Squad now, Squad in August

Think the squad is looking the best now than it has looked all season (and arguably for a long time).

Do you expect to start in August with a squad that is....

A. An improvement on the current squad
B. The same standard as current squad
C. Not as high a standard as current squad

Comments

• A.
    We will add players to a fairly decent squad. Whether they be players Roly wants as opposed to Guy remains to be seen but either way we can still look forward to adding to the ranks as we have done in the previous summer.
  • Between A and B
  • edited March 2015
    A or possibly B
  • A for the first 3 months, C (more like F) for the next 3 months, A for the final 3 months. A bit like this year.
  • C.

But a few late, stellar signings meaning it's an "A" by the end of August.
  • I think there will be a big sale, Gomez or Cousins would be my guess. The owner seems, at SL, to ship the best players out and get in cheaper options. I hope this is not the case, but i wouldn't be surprised. If we don't get to the Premiership soon i think Gomez will be gone anyway. He really ought to be playing for a top ten Premiership club.
  • If Ansah steps up to the first team squad then a definate A : - )

Otherwise really don't know how it will go. I think a lot depends on selling Reza and maybe Polish Pete. That might mean the transfer sales target that KM mentioned is met and so mean no sales from the current first team squad.

• Pure guess but B - a few different faces but a similar standard.
  • It will be interesting to see how Ansah does for Plymouth. I hope Ansah does push himself into the First team squad. But Ahearne- Grant seems to be ahead of him in the pecking order. Both Peeters and Luzon have not rated him enough to get him in the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

It will be interesting to see how Ansah does for Plymouth. I hope Ansah does push himself into the First team squad. But Ahearne- Grant seems to be ahead of him in the pecking order. Both Peeters and Luzon have not rated him enough to get him in the squad.

I agree. KAG is younger but ahead of Zak for now.

Zak needs to have a good loan now to prove to himself that he can do it. Very much a confidence thing now imho

But Poyet had a very bad injury that set him back and that meant he was seen as not progressing. When he got over that injury and got to play games he was very impressive.

Maybe Zak will be the same. I hope so but let's see.
  • B. The same standard as current squad
  • It's charlton. Got C written all over it :)
  • dickplumb said:

I think there will be a big sale, Gomez or Cousins would be my guess. The owner seems, at SL, to ship the best players out and get in cheaper options. I hope this is not the case, but i wouldn't be surprised. If we don't get to the Premiership soon i think Gomez will be gone anyway. He really ought to be playing for a top ten Premiership club.

A 17 year old English player in the 1st team at a top 10 premier side ?

That would be a novelty.

• C

We'll all renew our season tickets in a moment of madness before the deadline and they'll sell anyone decent over the summer.

Pete the Pole and Pigott up front next season. You read it here first!
  • If Ansah steps up to the first team squad then a definate A : - )

Otherwise really don't know how it will go. I think a lot depends on selling Reza and maybe Polish Pete. That might mean the transfer sales target that KM mentioned is met and so mean no sales from the current first team squad.

You think he's the Ansah to our problems?

:)
  • B.

I think we will lose a few of the current lot and replace. I suspect that's what to expect every season from now on. I don't see a slow build policy at Charlton any time soon.

Whatever happens I hope we get it done early so the new players can settle and have a good pre season.
  • Sponsored links:

• I fear we will hang on to too many of the players that are fringesque.

Etheridge/Marko Dmitrović

Loic Nego Roger Andre Bikey-Amougou Oguchi Onyewu

Lepoint Diarra Eagles Moussa

Reza Polish Pete

This team would not fill me with any confidence, I know it won't happen of course, but I would like to think the above team would be nowhere near consideration, bar possibly Moussa, and Dimitrovic.

I would be happy if none of the above featured next season.
  • If we manage to achieve B I'll be pleased. Think our current standard (after recent frees) is the best for a long time.
  • seth plum said:

I fear we will hang on to too many of the players that are fringesque.

Etheridge/Marko Dmitrović

Loic Nego Roger Andre Bikey-Amougou Oguchi Onyewu

Lepoint Diarra Eagles Moussa

Reza Polish Pete

This team would not fill me with any confidence, I know it won't happen of course, but I would like to think the above team would be nowhere near consideration, bar possibly Moussa, and Dimitrovic.

I would be happy if none of the above featured next season.

Far too soon to write Diarra and Eagles off.
  • I think the question if asked differently is if out go Ben Haim, Johnson, Buyens, Diarra, Bulot, plus any sales, do expect what we bring in to be the same, better or not as good.
  • I think the question if asked differently is if out go Ben Haim, Johnson, Buyens, Diarra, Bulot, plus any sales, do expect what we bring in to be the same, better or not as good.

Or even from the academy or U21's.
  • If we think A in August it'll turn out to be C. If we think C in August it'll turn out to be A.
  • edited March 2015
    We have a stated desire to break even. We have lost something like £7M in 12 months I believe. We have a sales target. We have Gomez, JBG and Cousins. Reza/Pete/Tuc won't bridge the gap on their own.

We also have the 3rd lowest budget in the Champ and Eagles, Johnson, Diarra, Wilson, Bulot and Buyens out of (CAFC) contract.

C

And pissing around for decent players to rescue a season going off the rails in Jan.
  • If we think A in August it'll turn out to be C. If we think C in August it'll turn out to be A.

In that case, I'm thinking C............... :smile:
  • edited March 2015
    I think it will be a marginal A, better strength in depth, but we will lose TBH who will be difficult to replace younger and cost effectively, same with Buyens, although not a player I like that much still has his moments, Bulot will be difficult to replace if he goes back or a championship team buys him. On the other hand we could bring in that elusive target man to add to the plan B or C.

We'll lose the hod carriers like Wilson and Church and add a higher quality hod carrier.