Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Scapegoats XI

Comments

• Mervyn Day as coach, as he never seemed to get the respect Curbs and Peacock got?

Yep with Alex Dyer as Assistant Manager.
  • I'm trying to put together a team of scapegoats from players who have played since 2000 and have left the club. To be a scapegoat, a player needs to have played a decent number of games. It's tricky. Any improvements (or the opposite, perhaps)?

Thuram

Francis
    Doherty
    McCarthy
    Evina

Green
    Ambrose
    Faye

McLeod
    Abbott
    Gray

Thuram wasn't a scapegoat, he was just sh!t, as were Evina McLeod and arguably Francis in their time with us.

Wilson and Lisbie should be in there.
  • Harry Greggory
  • Harry Greggory

Has he played since 2000?!
  • Don't forget Kish ....... only Curbs, Len Glover and me could see what he brought to the team.

Do me a favour, he was at times the first name on the sheet for me.
  • Who was the little fella the "Fox in the Box" who was quite expensive?
  • Who was the little fella the "Fox in the Box" who was quite expensive?

Francis Jeffers
  • LenGlover said:

Hamer

Francis
    Llera
    Fortune
    Youga

Sam
    Kishishev
    McCormack
    Ambrose

Lisbie
    Mooney

Good call, but I would have thought Fortune was considered pretty reliable by most. Varney and Wagstaff must be on the subs bench, I would have thought.
    I would too but plenty seemed to regard him as lazy and unambitious although THAT GOAL redressed the balance a bit I guess.
  • Danny Murphy
    Sam Sodje
    Herman Hreidarsson (because he was perpetually relegated)
  • Jimmy Floyd Hasselhoff must be in with a shout when it comes to scapegoats. Or was he just too useless by the time he came to us?
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm trying to put together a team of scapegoats from players who have played since 2000 and have left the club. To be a scapegoat, a player needs to have played a decent number of games. It's tricky. Any improvements (or the opposite, perhaps)?

Thuram

Francis
    Doherty
    McCarthy
    Evina

Green
    Ambrose
    Faye

McLeod
    Abbott
    Gray

class selection mon ami .. never has so much vitriol and hatred been aimed at so few by so many

• Lloyd Sam would have to be there surely.

Agreed, there is no way on earth you could keep Sam out of this team.
    Kishishev an excellent shout too.

• Danny Murphy
    Sam Sodje
    Herman Hreidarsson (because he was perpetually relegated)

None of those came close to being Scapegoats.
  • Going back to the 80's, Mark Stuart was the classic scapegoat! Always did well for us, but a section of the fans were always on his back for some reason!
  • Going back to the 80's, Mark Stuart was the classic scapegoat! Always did well for us, but a section of the fans were always on his back for some reason!

Amos is great shout and I'm guilty as charged above. He just always seemed to be mincing around and bottling tackles to me, apart, of course, from him moment of glory at Old Trafford :smiley:
  • Scored some very important goals for us in the Old Div 1 in 86/87 - personally I think it was his outrageous 'big hair' and generally pasty demeanour that put so many fans off-side!!
  • Chizz said:

Is it safe to assume that Alan Pardew gets the nod as Manager?

Not a scapegoat, just rubbish.
  • edited March 2015
    Kim Grant
    Phil Chapple
    Ralph Milne
    Jamie Stuart
    Andy (the rocket) Peake
    Talal El Khalej
    Neil Redfern.
  • I think Mark Hudson got scapegoated. He went on to do well at Cardiff and bobbed around the top of the Championship for a few years. In retrospect that team had far bigger problems than Hudson but he took a lot of the flak.
  • I am shocked that no one has said Keith Jones. He was always slagged off for his "crab" like style of football, but kept the team together in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bryan Hughes is a great shout. Scored some handy goals for us and generally did well but is mostly remembered as being rubbish.

Does Matt Holland qualify? Gets called Captain Cleanshorts despite the fact he was one of the most committed players around

I actually liked Hughes..........
  • Tony Watt
  • Thuram definitely wasn't a scapegoat, he was just dire
  • McClown was another who was just guff. Not a scapegoat.

Thuram

Francis
    Doherty
    McCarthy
    Evina

Green
    Ambrose
    Faye

McLeod
    Abbott
    Gray

Here is the definition of a scapegoat
    Just so you know.

A person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.
  • Mark Aizlewood.

Steve Dixon was one of his few supporters through the bad times but his faith was rewarded. Aizlewood was excellent after his goal and accompanying V sign v Oldham.

• McClown was another who was just guff. Not a scapegoat.

I presume you mean Alan McCormack?
    In my opinion was never given much of a chance . He went on went on to do well at other clubs so therefore should be regarded as a scapegoat.
  • cafckev said:

I am shocked that no one has said Keith Jones. He was always slagged off for his "crab" like style of football, but kept the team together in midfield.

Perfect shout. A lot of people have confused scapegoat for goatshit
  • A few people on here giving the impression they can't see the difference between an essential 'water carrier' for the team,
    and a player who struggles to make the grade.

• edited March 2015
    Emmanuel Frimpong. Often given scathing reviews after not so bad games with the cliche "Premier League prima donna" tag, which was just a bit of a lazy excuse to have a moan simply because he wasn't a world beater.

Same can be leveled at any players who enjoyed using Twitter (Ben Hamer, Danny Green). Bit of jealousy I think with the Hamer one.