Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Squad now, Squad in August

2»

Comments

• Think we might lose Igor or Johan. Hopefully only one.if we have to lose a young gun to balance books I think it should be fox.could then see us getting Stam from standard liege think he can play LB Znd RB.Think we will get Yoni and bulot on permanents.reza to go polish Pete another season loan at st trident. Church?to get one more year. Eagles and Johnson also
  • Kap10 said:

I think it will be a marginal A, better strength in depth, but we will lose TBH who will be difficult to replace younger and cost effectively, same with Buyens, although not a player I like that much still has his moments, Bulot will be difficult to replace if he goes back or a championship team buys him. On the other hand we could bring in that elusive target man to add to the plan B or C.

We'll lose the hod carriers like Wilson and Church and add a higher quality hod carrier.

Disagree. I can't see us ever having much strength in depth under Roland. Depth = players being paid not to play = wasted money. He doesn't work like that. Our depth is being able to get a loan in from Ujpest or Standard if we get desperate.

I think it will be impossible to tell in August whether the squad is better or not, because it is likely that many new signings we bring in will be unknowns to us, like Vetokele, Gudmondsson, Bulot and Buyens were last season.
  • Its a difficult question

One of the reasons the current squad looks the best for a while is the relative lack of injuries means we've got good strength in depth. Our bench at the moment looks strong and even Churchinio is scoring goals. That and the fact that we are winning regularly. A few injuries and some loss of form/ tiredness even with this group and we are back where we were pre xmas. So even if we keep them all it could feel like C

• Sorry, it'll be a C. Two of JBG, Cousins, Gomez will be sold for a good profit to cover running costs. Replacements will take 6 months to bed in. My view, not in the know...
  • I'm hoping A but RD's past form does suggest that it could well end up as C.

I'm hoping what KM said at the Bromley Addicks meeting proves true, that we will keep the best of what we have and build on it.
  • I'm hoping A but RD's past form does suggest that it could well end up as C.

I'm hoping what KM said at the Bromley Addicks meeting proves true, that we will keep the best of what we have and build on it.

At Bromley Addicks, from memory, she said we had a sales target and separately said we had aspirations to break even (she didn't say this season specifically on that point though to be fair). I am certain she said she 'hoped' to sell under utilised players to hit this target meaning Reza, Tuc, Pete, Harriott as obvious ones. But realistically how much would we get for these players, Reza-£1M would be great, Tuc-£250K at best, Pete-similar to Tuc and Hariott maybe the same. Less than £2M the lot.
  • lo fi said:

Sorry, it'll be a C. Two of JBG, Cousins, Gomez will be sold for a good profit to cover running costs. Replacements will take 6 months to bed in. My view, not in the know...

Sell two of them and you would probably carry the losses for three seasons in this league.

• I think the CEO also said somewhere that the ambition next season was to make the playoffs. If that's the case then I think it must be A.
  • I reckon C.

I reckon we'll have about five players making their debut come the opening day of the season.
  • I reckon C.

I reckon we'll have about five players making their debut come the opening day of the season.

That could still mean A
  • Sponsored links:

• Option D for me - i.e. not a Scooby Doo. I know what I hope for but how it pans out after Roly takes stock of a first full season remains to be seen. There is also the variable about players' wishes. We all want to keep JBG etc but if they want to move......
  • Option D for me - i.e. not a Scooby Doo. I know what I hope for but how it pans out after Roly takes stock of a first full season remains to be seen. There is also the variable about players' wishes. We all want to keep JBG etc but if they want to move......

And that's why selling a player won't prove either way what RD's plans are. JBG and Cousins both have 1 year left on their contracts, if they aren't interested in signing a new deal we may sell them to get a fee while we can. We could also get an offer that's too good to turn down for a player that is happy to stay.

What will give us more of an idea of his plans is the players we sign. I'm expecting it to be similar to last year, quite a few players leaving, mostly free transfers coming in, probably a few loans from Standard Liege and maybe 2/3 coming in for a fee.
  • Way too many unknowns at this stage so too early to call.

1) No statement from the club about ambition
    2) We don't know who will be retained - especially Buyens, Bulot and Ben Haim and the three recent additions
    3) no idea who might be made available on loan from Liege where they may or may not go through another squad overhaul?
    4) can only make assumptions about the budgets and player targets
    5) is there a target for sales and will we attract decent/acceptable bids?

Personally I think the club is now in a position to bridge the gap to the top eight and I also think another table mid-table finish would be a waste of time given the talent we already have on the books.

The only certainty is that some will still be banging on about Koc, Nego, Reza and Polish Pete whichever way it goes!

Some will talk of bumpy roads...

And I will obviously bang on about the transfermarkt valuation of new signings even if some think that Buyens, Bulot, Gudmundsson and Vetokele being rated at around €2m is irrelevant.

Ps for anyone interested our squad is now rated at £21m on transfermarkt which is about double the valuation of the squad inherited by Staprix back in January 2014
  • B.
    Roland does appear to be learning from his mistakes, eg not relying on his Euro-scouts, so I don't expect him to repeat the Liege disaster of selling all his best players.
  • B.
    Roland does appear to be learning from his mistakes, eg not relying on his Euro-scouts, so I don't expect him to repeat the Liege disaster of selling all his best players.

Or was it that he knew we had to have players in during the "Emergency" loan period and could only get players from England so had no choice, hopefully he can see that it worked out well.