Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just a bit of what made Charlton today

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Great stuff on various threads today, North London Addick & others.

Instead of throwing our toys out of the pram just because we lost a 90 minute football match, the needed reality check is simply to put things in context:

24 years ago, we were 5 minutes from being wound-up. Almost defunct, history, R.I.P.

23 years ago, we were 'sold down the river' as a club and lost our sacred ground.

22 years ago, we were promoted to the top division with a bunch of big-hearted nomads lead by Lennie the Legend.

21 years ago, an unsung hero called Peter Shirtliff rescued us from oblivion almost single handed in 9 desperate minutes

19 years ago, a group of unlikely heroes formed The Valley Party and defeated the Council chairman single handed.

18 years ago, we were relegated and lost not only our topflight status but our talisman manager.

17 years ago, two managerial novices took charge, we escaped Sellout death row and were welcomed to Upton Park

16 years ago, after huge effort from Club and supporters alike, we came home. Nobody who's Charlton can forget that!

14 years ago, FA Cup Quarters at Old Trafford, unforgettable atmosphere but it cost us promotion.

13 years ago, Curbs was in sole charge after Gritty was sacked, many of us thought the wrong man stayed

12 years ago, Curbs took us to the playoffs and the doubters were proved wrong

10 years ago, with around 12 matches to go we came from nowhere to win the Playoffs, Wembley, a place in the Prem

9 years ago, Curbs and the players were out of their depth after, erm, a 'Valiant' struggle

8 years ago, FA Cup Quarters - and a savvy Curbs won the then 1st Division title with more or less the same team

4 years ago, the sale of P*rk*r proved a 'Bridge' too far. European dreams fell from the sky and the slide began

2 years ago, the FA Cup quarters -Curbs' swansong. Dowie's disasterous start to a disasterous season, Reed's last rites

1 year ago, Pards took charge, 4-0 thrashing of Hammers, hope & despair as the lights went out - relegation.

Now - 6th in the table, 12 games to play, most teams around us as inconsistant as we are. Expectation is the enemy.

A quarter century of history - what an adventure. That's just a bit of what made Charlton today.
And why we are Addicks.

Comments

• Spot on post!
  • Oggy

You've brought a tear to my eye.

Good on you mate.
  • you missed out our finest ever league cup run to the quarter finals under the lucky manager dowie;-)
  • Fantastic stuff, Oggy. And if anyone has read New York Addick today, then we can add:

25 years ago today lost 7-1 to Burnley, who then got relegated, while we scraped 17th place on the last day of the season.

Maybe Blackpool wasn't so bad ;-)
  • Whatever our reasons are for supporting Charlton, winning trophies is not one of them.

I've just been reading the story of Tom Hick's son who apparently was spat at in a pub after Liverpool had merely won another match, why? Because he's the son of the owner who apparently isn't spending enough/not bringing success quickly enough to Liverpool. I hope we never get into a situation where a year after taking Charlton to a CL final, and after we finish fourth in the PL some pleb spits at the son of whoever our owner is for not bringing enough success.

A sense of perspective is a requisite necessity for being a Charlton fan, reading Oggy's post emphasises that we've experienced more over the last 25 years than much bigger and better teams, and if we never win anything in my lifetime it won't necessarily be a bad thing.
  • edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]you missed out our finest ever league cup run to the quarter finals under the lucky manager dowie;-)

Blimey! I did too, OohAah....... ;o)

21 years ago we also got unexpectedly to Wembley for the 1st time in my life - a day I never imagined I'd ever see.
    But losing the Mickey Mouse Cup didn't compare to Shirty's monumental superhuman performance.......

Interrviewed on TV next day, Shirts was asked:
    "As a Yorkshireman, how do you feel keeping down Leeds in the 1st Division, Peter?"

"......'appen I 'aff t'plaaaay f'Chaaaaarton", was Shirty's classic reply. lol
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Fantastic stuff, Oggy. And if anyone has read New York Addick today, then we can add:

25 years ago today lost 7-1 to Burnley,
    A mate of mine was at this match. He's not been to Blackpool since......

.... until Saturday!
  • I seem to remember the ever so slightly biased interviewer asking Shirtliff when he last scored two goals in a game and getting the reply "never" in a broad Yorkshire accent, followed by the interviewer making a strangled noise in his throat.
  • Nice one Oggy.
  • top post oggy that should lay a sense of why we follow charlton and hopefully keep the wolves at bay until 5pm saturday anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done Oggy.Nice to see that others share the same pride in our club.(even if they do drive you to the brink at times ).
  • Top post Oggy!
  • Excellent post Oggy.

Puts things into perspective. I don't think anyone could accuse Charlton supporters of being glory hunters. Unfortunately we seem to have a few who are quick to blame people who can't really answer back.
  • Brilliant post Oggy, can I have what your drinking please. The glass is definitely more than half full!!!!!!!

Live, Love, Laugh and be Happy!!

Charlton til I die!!
  • I echo all the comments above. Brilliant stuff.

Up the Addicks!
  • Great stuff.

Reading all the 'Grant out' stuff from Chelsea fans on the way in puts things in perspective.

Not the end of the world if we dont go up, more carnage in Blackpool again.
  • edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Interrviewed on TV next day, Shirts was asked:
    "As a Yorkshireman, how do you feel keeping down Leeds in the 1st Division, Peter?"

"......'appen I 'aff t'plaaaay f'Chaaaaarton", was Shirty's classic reply. lol

lol....

I wore that video out as a kid......
  • I think you will find the reporter to be John Helm
  • Great post! It's understandable why some people will be down after the premiership years, especially as it seems unlikely that we will be there next year. I reckon it will be far better for the club if we do it the following year, when we win the league!
  • Well done Oggy Red a great post but you forgot that momentous day at Wembley in 1987 when we lost 1-0 to Blackburn in the final of the Full Members Cup !
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks, Lancs & everyone.

I did make reference to the Micky Mouse Cup Final day out at Wembley a few posts below in reply to OohAah's post.

But I decided that Shirts inspiring us to safety in the last few minutes at St Andrews, changed our future from oblivion
    - and meant even more to me than getting to Wembley which, as a Charlton supporter, I never expected in my lifetime.

Our day at Wembley was such an anti-climax.

But winning against Leeds at St Andrews in the last few minutes WAS our cup final!
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]I think you will find the reporter to be John Helm

John Helm was the match commenatator

Roger Greenwood was the one asking Shirty the questions.
  • Live, Love, Laugh and Be Happy....................!!!