Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Ball - What a great example.....

...of people that shouldn't be involved in youth football.

Shouting at his youngsters whenever they made a mistake, throwing his drink to the floor in frustration, shouting at the ref, screaming at the lino when he didn't notice his 93rd minute time wasting substitution.

All about the lads 'development' eh ??

Comments

• I find that hard to believe, Kevin Ball was always a purist of the game........

Can't imagine him behaving like that
  • i thought the sunderland team played well and we were unlucky but i was well annoyed with the constant screaming at the ref after every decision by their players especially the 9 and 11, i didnt notice Ball doing that but as NSS said they do have Roy Keane as mgr and he always did it.
  • I thought their No. 9 was a class act and looked the best player on the pitch.

For us, the No.2 and No.11 had very good games.

All the hype was about Jonjo Shelvey, I assume that was a very bad night for him, he looked awful..

Unlucky lads though, could've easily gone the other way.
  • [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]

All the hype was about Jonjo Shelvey, I assume that was a very bad night for him, he looked awful..

He's two years younger than a lot on the pitch tonight. It showed a little, but he has also shown enough in other games to know he is a real prospect.

As i said in the other thread, a little reality check never goes amiss.
  • Shelvey was below par tonight believe me when i say that for charlton and england he has been well impressive but we must all remember that he is 15 playing in a team of 18 year olds and 2 nite sunderland never gave him the space he has been getting.
  • i liked the way their heads didn't drop after the first goal, they kept going and got their reward, i felt after their first that we were the better team, and had the chances to win.

great effort boys
  • didn't realise he was that much younger than the rest of them...physically he certainly doesn't look it !
  • a real prospect shelvey i like the number 4 also alex (i wont try and spell his surname) but he was very good for the first 45
  • thought our right back was class and the No. 11 reminded me a bit of Paul Mortimer
  • Solly is class so level headed.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]...of people that shouldn't be involved in youth football.

Shouting at his youngsters whenever they made a mistake, throwing his drink to the floor in frustration, shouting at the ref, screaming at the lino when he didn't notice his 93rd minute time wasting substitution.

Spot on, Dan. Sadly mate, if you were to visit every game of youth football played on a Sunday you would be able to count on the fingers of one hand the amount of coaches who genuinely put kids' development above winning. It's a mind set that starts from the point a child kicks a ball. Despite everything the coaching courses teach us about player development being key and all the other 'best practices' we're shown, for most people it's still primarily about winning a game of football.
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]...of people that shouldn't be involved in youth football.

Spot on, Dan. Sadly mate, if you were to visit every game of youth football played on a Sunday you would be able to count on the fingers of one hand the amount of coaches who genuinely put kids' development above winning. It's a mind set that starts from the point a child kicks a ball. Despite everything the coaching courses teach us about player development being key and all the other 'best practices' we're shown, for most people it's still primarily about winning a game of football.
    So true. My nephew plays in Croydon's youth setup which, apart from the 'manager' is very well run. He's not a bad little player - will never make a pro unless he grows substantially and develops a lot more pace, but he sees the game really well for a youngster and 'gets' the game better than most of his teammates. Unfortunately, the 'manager' is a total prick - the absolute epitome of a bawling madman. The other week I popped along to watch him play in a cup game against a team that were much better (just faster and playing at a higher level). they held their own for the first half hour, but got overrun in the second half and ended up losing 5-1. instead of praising their effort, and the fact that they had tried to match them football-wise (knocking the ball around, creating little triangles and moving well off the ball) he shouted at them for fully two minutes after the game had finished, in full view of the parents and the opposition & their coaches. I looked across at one point and the other team's manager was shaking his head in disbelief. He looked really disheartened after the game, so I took him and a couple of the others for a kickabout and they really enjoyed it - we even worked on some one-touch drills and finished with the traditional game of three and in. I think without that, my nephew would have jacked it in. How on Earth is that sort of coashing method conducive to developing kids with a love of the game, willingness to learn and, most importantly, a wish to play with the ball as opposed to just humping it upfield at every opportunity.
  • some of the parents are worse my lad is 6 and plays in the rural friendly league around enfield and herts but the amount of people who live their football through their kids and you can see them 2 scared to make a mistake in case their dad goes mad is nothing short of disgusting i have seen refs as young as 15 getting grief from parents it is quite disgusting but it just shows what an influence footballers and football mgrs and coaches behaviour has on kids and parents
  • Damien Matthew was class last night,i watched him during the game,no ranting if he needed to get a point across invariably the playing came over when the ball went out and he had a quiet word in his ear.He didn't lose his rag once.
  • Chris Solly was excellent - a real solid right back and for a small lad he was vicious (but fair) in the tackle

Shelvey had a bad one I think but since he is a lot younger thats to be expected.

For Sunderland I thought 9 was a class act. Really strong and solid, great touch too
    Their 11 on the wing was impressive too..very fast and strong

Enjoyable game though - most unlucky to lose
  • yer dont want to criticise too much,but the winner had shades of Jon Fortune written all over it.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]yer dont want to criticise too much,but the winner had shades of Jon Fortune written all over it.

Not sure if it was Mambo No 5 that was at fault, but he's 16 and was up against the Sunderland No 9 that has played 5 Premier League games. I thought that Sunderland had typical youth team players. Strong fullbacks, with big heads that just whacked the balls into the channels, a bustly centre forward in a Wayne Rooney stylee, and a few players that will end up at Hartlepool.

I was just impressed with Matthews, he was everything Ball wasn't. The final rant at the lino was right in front of me, and the fourth official didnt really control the situation. If I was lino I'm not sure where my flag would have ended up.

After watching few youth games now I am proud of the lads. I think you should all email Matthews/ Gritty at the club and tell them so.

Also I was also led to believe that you couldnt shield a ball off if you hadnt touched it?
  • TT
    edited February 2008
    You can sheild the ball providing it's within playing distance and you're in control.

But nice to see the youth set up baring fruit after a barren few years.
  • it was the fella alongside Mambo that did it unfortunate really as the defence did really well against a very strong forward line up, keeper was expecting a clearence up field or out of play so was off his line but the sunderland lad finished with a great lob over the keeper in the last couple of mins. i thought they atleast deserved the xtra time
  • A few players stood out last night. Of course Waghorn (9) was the one most people mentioned, but for me Jack Colback (8) didnt put a foot wrong and reminded me of Paul Scholes. For us it had to be Chris Solly and Danny Uchechi (2) and (10) respectively and Yussuf (11) in the second half. Good pace about both teams game and have to say I really enjoyed it. Respect to the Sunderland fans who made the trip too.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Respect to the Sunderland fans who made the trip too.

from all four corners of London....
  • [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]A few players stood out last night. Of course Waghorn (9) was the one most people mentioned, but for me Jack Colback (8) didnt put a foot wrong and reminded me of Paul Scholes. For us it had to be Chris Solly and Danny Uchechi (2) and (10) respectively and Yussuf (11) in the second half. Good pace about both teams game and have to say I really enjoyed it. Respect to the Sunderland fans who made the trip too.

Made the trip ... lol
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Shouting at his youngsters whenever they made a mistake, throwing his drink to the floor in frustration, shouting at the ref, screaming at the lino when he didn't notice his 93rd minute time wasting substitution.

Did you notice how, for the last 5 mins or so, he had one of his subs permanently behind the lino...giving him grief?

4th official didnt have any control whatsoever
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Shouting at his youngsters whenever they made a mistake, throwing his drink to the floor in frustration, shouting at the ref, screaming at the lino when he didn't notice his 93rd minute time wasting substitution.

Did you notice how, for the last 5 mins or so, he had one of his subs permanently behind the lino...giving him grief?

4th official didnt have any control whatsoever

This is what Watford did and why I think we should have that dugout for first team games ...
  • i heard ball in the first half give their ginger fella a rollicking for moaning at the ref he told the kid to leave the ref alone and concentrate on his own game