Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tribute to Barts...

WSSWSS
edited February 2008 in General Charlton
(no not you...)

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/non-league-football/Tribute-to-Boldon-lad-who.3822348.jp

A MEMORIAL game between two of South Tyneside's top non-league clubs is being staged to commemorate one of the region's footballing heroes.

Boldon Neighbourhood Management Initiative have organised the Sam Bartram Memorial Cup tonight to celebrate his unsurpassed career as a goalkeeper for Charlton Athletic Football Club.

Sam, who passed away in 1981 aged 67, played for Boldon Villa in the early 1930s before being spotted and signed by Charlton Athletic.

He went on to play a record 623 games for them, including back-to-back FA Cup Finals, one of which they won in 1947.

He left for Charlton with friend Jack Shreeve, who played full-back, and both players made a triumphal visit to Boldon with the cup after their Division One match at Roker Park Sunderland in December 1947.

The celebrations at Boldon will not only recall this special occasion but the launch of The Sam Bartram Cups as an annual event seeks to inspire current young players in South Tyneside.

A youth group from Boldon plan to visit Charlton's home ground The Valley later in the year to watch a match and view Sam Bartram`s statue at the ground where he played for 22 years between 1934 and 1956.

The memorial game, between Wearside League rivals Boldon and Cleadon, takes place at the Colliery Welfare Ground in Boldon, home of Jarrow Roofing.

The match will be preceeded by a warm up game between community workers and parents against kids, starting at 6.15pm.

The inaugural Sam Bartram Trophy match will kick off at 7.15pm.

A reception and buffet will take place after the games, and Mike Blake, author of Sam Bartram: The Story of a Goalkeeping Legend, will make the presentations.

Boldon Neighbourhood Manager Maria Anderson said: "We are delighted to have been offered the chance to play at the Colliery Welfare Ground, and everyone is really excited about playing under the floodlights.

"We are hoping the whole community gets behind the event, and we welcome them to the Colliery Welfare Ground to enjoy this fantastic tribute."

Charlton Athletic are supporting the event by sending strips for the team and a signed goalkeeper's top to be displayed in the Boldon clubhouse.

Also supporting the event are South Tyneside Council, Boldon Neighbourhood Management Initiative and Youth Project and Home, through its Supporting Communities Fund, which is paying for the trophy

Comments

• I started to choke up at the heading as well.... :-(
  • What a fantastic idea. As Sam spent his career down here it would've been easy to have forgotten him, well done to Boldon.
  • Not being funny or hard but how much is this costing the club.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Not being funny or hard but how much is this costing the club.
    Who Charlton? I doubt "supporting the event by sending strips for the team and a signed goalkeeper's top to be displayed in the Boldon clubhouse." is going to eat too much into next years transfer kitty.
  • Well i think it sounds fantastic, and a great way to show true hero's are never forgotten.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Not being funny or hard but how much is this costing the club.

probably the cost of the postage !!, blimey we ain't that skint !!!!!!
  • Nice touch...good on em
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Not being funny or hard but how much is this costing the club.[/quote]

You can't buy class, can you?
    Fear not Pete.
    Knowhere near as much as we wasted on Izale mcCleod.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    Knowhere near as much as we wasted on Izale mcCleod.

or simon walton(is he still injured at qpr)
  • Sponsored links:

• He plays for Hull now
  • cheers pete_tong
  • Has anyone read the book?

Its about £9 plus P&P which I think I could stretch too.
  • The Palace DVD on ebay should cover it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Has anyone read the book?

yeah, it's a nice easy read and some interesting stuff about sam, in his early years he was a half-back,centre forward ,left half as well as a goalkeeper, sir alan would have liked his versatility!!
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Has anyone read the book?

yeah, it's a nice easy read and some interesting stuff about sam, in his early years he was a half-back,centre forward ,left half as well as a goalkeeper, sir alan would have liked his versatility!!

Thanks Ooh Aah
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Has anyone read the book?

Its about £9 plus P&P which I think I could stretch too.[/quote]

It was reviewed in the programme by their star guest writer.

It's an interesting read especially about his early life before turning pro. He was on the dole and getting 18s a week when Charlton offered him £5 per week. Typical money grabbing footballer, eh.