Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Basey set for Valley loan exit

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/topsport/display.var.2082019.0.basey_set_for_valley_loan_exit.php

Comments

• His poor display at Blackpool? He was better than McCarthy and Only got a Long Throw Halford who was U S.

Pardew's decisions are getting more baffling and more lunatic than Dowie's!
  • I'm trying to be as positive as I can, but I do so wish Pards wouldn't keep picking out individual players like this. Comments re Halford in public like that are way out of order - when he joined us we all knew his confidence was low. Fair enough, address it privately, but not in the press like this, please. Has it ever done anyone any good?
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    He also said he has never conceded five ever?! Get H&A on the scene!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He also said he has never conceded five as a player or manager?! Get H&A on the scene?

Is he trying to wash his own hands of it? I'd better get off this board to calm down.
  • What's baffling about trying to give a 19 yr old first team experience,i wouldn't expect him to be playing ahead of Thatcher or Youga at this stage of his career.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He also said he has never conceded five ever?!

I'm sure he meant as a manager.

However, was he in the Palace team that Liverpool beat 9-0?
  • With Thatcher and Youga back I don't see Basey getting a game, sending him on loan is the best thing for him.

Some of you anti Pards people need to take those glasses off.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I'm trying to be as positive as I can, but I do so wish Pards wouldn't keep picking out individual players like this. Comments re Halford in public like that are way out of order - when he joined us we all knew his confidence was low. Fair enough, address it privately, but not in the press like this, please. Has it ever done anyone any good?

Pards was quoted as criticising "the two centre backs and the right back", he did not single out Halford. As for Basey going out it makes sense to me Thatcher has returned to fitness, along with Gibbs, Sir Chris is available and Youga is currently No1. We have more cover than ever. A youngster like Basey needs to get some experience. He may well be a long-term prospect for next season and beyond.
  • I didn't comment specifically on the Basey deal, NSS and Stu - I can see some logic in it, though hope Thatcher is fit both physically and mentally as back-up for Youga. It's some of Pards comments in the rest of the article that I find difficult - I am genuinely trying not to criticise him for the sake of it, but then he comes out with stuff like this, and it isn't easy to ignore.
  • In fairness, I reckon he would have been shipped out on loan regardless of the Blackpool defeat because of the numerous options have in Basey's position at the moment.

Paul
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I'm trying to be as positive as I can, but I do so wish Pards wouldn't keep picking out individual players like this. Comments re Halford in public like that are way out of order - when he joined us we all knew his confidence was low. Fair enough, address it privately, but not in the press like this, please. Has it ever done anyone any good?

Pards was quoted as criticising "the two centre backs and the right back", he did not single out Halford. As for Basey going out it makes sense to me Thatcher has returned to fitness, along with Gibbs, Sir Chris is available and Youga is currently No1. We have more cover than ever. A youngster like Basey needs to get some experience. He may well be a long-term prospect for next season and beyond.

He does single Halford out in this article.
  • I actually don't think its a bad idea. I'm not one who likes to see players ever knocked in public, but we are approaching a crucial stage of the season, and Pards needs a reaction from a number of players. Using a loanee as an example is not a bad strategy; its not 100% he will stay here, lets see how he reacts to it.
  • "numerous options Charlton have" is what I meant to say.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I actually don't think its a bad idea. I'm not one who likes to see players ever knocked in public, but we are approaching a crucial stage of the season, and Pards needs a reaction from a number of players. Using a loanee as an example is not a bad strategy; its not 100% he will stay here, lets see how he reacts to it.

If a player needs a kick up the arse fine, it's Pards job to do it but I don't see why it couldn't have been done in house. Why do it in public in the way he has? I can't see how that is going to do anything but make matters worse.
  • cant see how Pardew names Youga his number 1 left back- he had been out on loan virtually all season and was only drafted back when we had no left backs available - Basey at that time WAS 1st choice left back after Powell was rightly "rested". Basey then got injured and now out in the cold.

very strange
  • Grow up Golfie. Youga is the most exciting young defender we've had since Mills and Basey was only 1st choice after half a dozen players got injured/pensioned off. If you're going to pick holes choose your targets a little better.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I'm trying to be as positive as I can, but I do so wish Pards wouldn't keep picking out individual players like this. Comments re Halford in public like that are way out of order - when he joined us we all knew his confidence was low. Fair enough, address it privately, but not in the press like this, please. Has it ever done anyone any good?

He does single Halford out in this article.

That is true but nowhere could I find any individual criticism of Halford post match. In his press conference and the club report he talked of "back four" and the "full backs" and "missing Youga", so either I've missed an reported comment by him, or he's referring to private criticism of Halford or his memory ain't as good as he thinks it is.

What's clear from this article is that he is challenging Halford. Nothing wrong with that in my view
  • not strange at all.

Things change.
  • do the lad good mean while getting him experience without it costing us anything in the last 12 games i would do the same for fortune after his last 2 displays
  • Im not a fan of manager's balling out players in public...dont think it was right to comment on either Basey or Halford although the latter had a shocker, and young Grant made one bad mistake leading to a goal. Overall, I dont think any of the players played anywhere near to potential, so none should be singled out by the manager....I think Weaver although pulling off a couple of brilliant saves, was also at fault for a couple of goals....it doesnt make him a bad player....just a bad overall team performance
  • Sponsored links:

• well, maybe he thinks that its so embarrassing to be singled out, the players will play out of their skins so they don't get a public telling off!
  • Suz, they would have had a telling off if they had bothered to come and acknowledge us last Saturday! I was willing the buggers to come over.....shame they didnt return to the hotel :-)
  • Hmm interesting!

Either I was watching the wrong player on Saturday, or despite a couple of bad mistakes, thought his first touch, crossing and workrate were brilliant at times...

:-S
  • edited February 2008
    My take on this is that the fans can't have it both ways - they cannot moan about primma donna, pampered players on the one hand & then moan about Pardew tearing a strip off them in public on the other becasue it might hurt their feelings.

I have no problem whatsoever with Pardew criticising players in the press - if they are gonna throw a hissy fit & sulk about it, well thats not the type of character you need in the upcoming battles.

I am a Pards-sceptic for the record - not massively so, but he has yet to really convince me that the club is going in the right direction at present - but I am prepared to, and will be delighted to be proved wrong.

As for Basey going out on loan - that is a good idea, Parker was shipped off to Norwich even though he had a handful of Charlton games under his belt & was pushing for a first team place - hopefully more experience at a decent club would do Basey the world of good - just don't send him to Millwall.
  • i think getting basey out on loan will be good, personally i don't think he's that good a player , nice left foot but not as mobile as i'd hope a youngster to be and can only see him being of any use to us if we become midtable 2nd tier (a bit of a paul sturgess imo)
  • i used to sit about 3 rows in front of you with lee grain (remember him and jamie firth)
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite] Basey at that time WAS 1st choice left back after Powell was rightly "rested". Basey then got injured and now out in the cold.

very strange

Powell was only "rightly rested" when he was injured and unable to play.

After Basey was injured, Powell was so "rightly rested" that after 6 weeks out injured and no reserve comeback game, he was thrust back into the 1st team with only 2 days light training.

Without full fitness and in his 39th year, he was immediately asked to play three 90 minute matches in a week.
    There was no one else fit, so he had to play.

Be fair to Chris Powell.