Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What a difference a week could make!

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Just thinking about the craziness of this league, the common occurence that is weekend-midweek -weekend game could mean that by next saturday at five o'clock we could be above Bristol City in the table.
Look at the fixtures
This sat
Sheff Utd vs Charlton (if Charlton be Charlton (i.e sublime to ridiculous) and go out and beat this lot)
Bristol City vs Hull (Hull on a run of form at the moment City not convincing)

Midweek
Charlton vs Bristol City (speaks for itself a game we need to win in front of home fans)

Next Sat
Charlton vs Preston (altho resurgent we did them at their place)
Leicester vs Bristol City (Leicester blow hot and cold but are putting in better performances at home)

Apart from the other teams involved and the need for charlton to putting in a run of wins!
I aint giving up hope.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]I aint giving up hope.
    Me neither, lots of ifs and buts but stranger things have happened (look at West Ham last year).
  • Options
    We can hope

To be totally honest though, I'm really not fussed about going up. This season is by far the most enjoyable I've had for several years...
  • Options
    I think there's everything to play for and as we haven't put on a real run yet maybe we're due one. I'm with Medders I suppose as much as I want us to be up there promoted or in the play-offs I really fear for us if we go up, in fact I think the gap is massive at the moment and I'd be surprised if any of the 3 teams that go up will stay up next year, I'd be really worried about Stoke or Bristol City going up they could have record low points totals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]I'd be really worried about Stoke or Bristol City going up they could have record low points totals.
    Clubs will be hard pressed to "beat" Derby's record this year i think...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]I'd be really worried about Stoke or Bristol City going up they could have record low points totals.
    Clubs will be hard pressed to "beat" Derby's record this year i think...

You might be right although I think low totals like that will become more common.
  • Options
    If we did surprise people and we go up, like nearly everybody else we'd struggle.

But we've been in this movie before - and 10 years ago, promoted before we were ready.

If we are promoted, the key is to give players that year of Premiership experience. It'll be like a year's worth of cup-ties to most of them (and us! - surely we are not that jaded?) and if we did get relegated, the nucleus of the team would stick together, we'd hope.

No doubt like they did 10 years ago, Richard Murray & co would prudently budget for just that scenario, in any case.

If we could then follow the script of Curbs' title winning side of 99/00 - that could quite possibly give the club the playing experience and sound financial footing to establish Charlton in the Prem once again.
  • Options
    Agree, Oggie

Clubs who come back down after one season invariably keep their squad intact, it's the more established teams who struggle given the expectations of the playing staff. We were a classic case in point but it's not just us, you see it all the time.

Going up then straight back down can have a real galvanising effect.
  • Options
    not forgetting how much revenue that it would create 50million on each occasion
  • Options
    If we don't go up this year and do so the next, who's to say that we won't come back down in the first season. We need to get up asap for the long term future of the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Just thinking about the craziness of this league, the common occurence that is weekend-midweek -weekend game could mean that by next saturday at five o'clock we could be above Bristol City in the table.
    Look at the fixtures
    This sat
    Sheff Utd vs Charlton (if Charlton be Charlton (i.e sublime to ridiculous) and go out and beat this lot)
    Bristol City vs Hull (Hull on a run of form at the moment City not convincing)

Midweek
    Charlton vs Bristol City (speaks for itself a game we need to win in front of home fans)

Next Sat
    Charlton vs Preston (altho resurgent we did them at their place)
    Leicester vs Bristol City (Leicester blow hot and cold but are putting in better performances at home)

Apart from the other teams involved and the need for charlton to putting in a run of wins!
    I aint giving up hope.

We could easily get 9 points out of those 3 games........the problem is we could just as easily get none!!

The joys of following Charlton ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    at least its not boring...