Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Programmes

For the last few matches, I have not found anyone selling programmes behind the East Stand. It appears that they are on sale outside the main entrances in Harvey Gardens but seeing as I enter via the Sam Bartram entrance, this has caused a problem. Does anyone know what has happened to the programme sellers? They also used to have a stand to put the merchandise on but from what I have seen, they are now dispatched from cardboard boxes on the ground!

Comments

• For the last few matches, I have not found anyone selling programmes behind the East Stand. It appears that they are on sale outside the main entrances in Harvey Gardens but seeing as I enter via the Sam Bartram entrance, this has caused a problem. Does anyone know what has happened to the programme sellers? They also used to have a stand to put the merchandise on but from what I have seen, they are now dispatched from cardboard boxes on the ground!

There was a 'problem' earlier in the season and the stands they used to use the club do not have anymore, so I am led to believe.

The shop still sells programmes(and back issues) also the ground side of the bridge on Ransom Walk.

I'm not sure if we sell programmes from each side of the ground now, you certainly cannot get them in the West Upper.

But overall the sellers are not very visible.
  • There was a big queue for the one in Harvey Gardens yesterday.
  • Stig said:

There was a big queue for the one in Harvey Gardens yesterday.

He must be knocking ot a bit of work on the side then I reckon
  • used to be that when walking from the station you'd pass about fifteen of them to the point that my old man got superstitious and said we had to get our programmes from the fifth seller we past! Yesterday there wasn't a single one and I walked up and down the road twice specifically looking for them this was about an hour before kick off!
  • It appears Charlton fired the company that dealt with programme sales on matchday. Having done so, the company removed their programme trolleys. Leaving Charlton with no one to sell the programmes straight from the boxes..........................marvelous.

Allegedly....................................................................
  • Daggs said:

It appears Charlton fired the company that dealt with programme sales on matchday. Having done so, the company removed their programme trolleys. Leaving Charlton with no one to sell the programmes straight from the boxes..........................marvelous.

Allegedly....................................................................

I think it has been covered by VOTV in the past that this is the case. The club commissioned new programme trolleys but the designs were rejected. Whilst i support the regime they have made some daft and costly mistakes and this is one of them.
  • There is a knack to selling publications in bulk just before matches. The few programme sellers I have seen are yet to develop that knack, and don't seem particularly motivated or enthusiastic.
  • edited April 2015
    The Ransom Walk ones had sold out/ disappeared at 2.50ish when I went past
  • edited April 2015
    On Saturday VOTV sellers were directing the long queue for the one programme seller in Floyd Road (30/40 people at times) to the one programme seller in Ransom Walk, who had far less customers but was out of the line of sight of the queue. As usual they both sold out well before kick-off leaving arriving fans looking around in vain.

I think the club (Katrien Meire) grossly underestimated the logistics of selling programmes and assumed that declining sales must be down to the sales company not trying hard enough rather than a structural change in how people get information and, to be frank, the quality and content being provided. Even in terms of the print specification, the Charlton programme is below that of other Championship clubs. It also appears to be pitched at the wrong market to me, as it is older fans who are more likely to buy.

The savings from taking it in-house were tiny and must depend in part on the assumption you can sell the same number of copies with fewer sellers. They must have realised early on that it was a bad move, so why they are still in such a mess six months later is a mystery. Even if they don't care about the financial aspect, it is a constant source of aggravation to fans. Not the biggest concern, maybe, but one easily rectified if you come to terms with the fact you have got it wrong.
  • Not sure what the programme sellers can be playing at. I saw a couple of Leeds fans heading back to their coaches, one with a bundle of programmes tucked under his arm and the other with a trolley carrying unopened boxes of programmes.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's a complete shambles, there are a fraction of the number of sellers there used to be, the only one I found with stock (and not much) was outside the main East Stand turnstiles, the one in Harvey Gardens had sold out, judging from the pile of empty boxes.
    It's really hard to find them without kiosks as well, the way to spot one is from the large queue...

Maybe they should contract selling programmes to Rick and his VOTV sellers, seeing that there are far more of them and they are far more vocal :smiley:
  • If you want a programme, pop into the club shop. Had at least 3 full boxes behind the tills at 2:45
  • edited April 2015
    Desperate tried to get a couple for people on holiday before the Fulham game but couldn't find a seller for love nor money. Was able to buy in the club shop after (which you couldn't do earlier in the season), but few people will go to that length to get one.

The whole thing has been an absolute disaster this season, and if i was responsible for slogging my guts out to provide the content, i'd be humungously pissed off that such little effort is being shown by my employers to sell it.
  • Missed It said:

Not sure what the programme sellers can be playing at. I saw a couple of Leeds fans heading back to their coaches, one with a bundle of programmes tucked under his arm and the other with a trolley carrying unopened boxes of programmes.

It's not unlikely that these had been bought and were to take back to Leeds by arrangement. It's quite common practice between clubs and supporters' groups, although Charlton no longer do it for our fans.
  • Ah I see. I did wonder if they'd been liberated for a lark, some of the Leeds fans were quite well lubricated by then
  • They were on sale in the East Stand towards Harvey Gardens, just as you walked through the turnstile (or certainly were at about 2.30ish. Think that was it though, and there have been plenty more sellers earlier in the season.
  • craigcafc said:

They were on sale in the East Stand towards Harvey Gardens, just as you walked through the turnstile (or certainly were at about 2.30ish. Think that was it though, and there have been plenty more sellers earlier in the season.

The seller inside had presumably sold out by the time I arrived.

Only at Charlton, where the queue to buy a programme is longer than the queue to get through the turnstiles!
  • ...It also appears to be pitched at the wrong market to me, as it is older fans who are more likely to buy...