Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General feeling then

Would you rather

a) Boring prem football

b) Yo Yo football each season 1 up and then 1 down

c) Prem but fighting relegation each season

D) CCC football playoffs every year

I will go for

C

just to get back to reality as i feel we were never anything other than good enough to finish 12-15th in the prem.

i would live with a good start avg middle poor back half just escaping

Comments

• e) no preference, just take what's given and hope the club remains strong, solvent and close with supporters over time.
  • your so easy to please thats your trouble barts ;-)
  • any league as long as we get back to a team that has skill, that gives 100%, that plays decent football and not the long ball / long throw stuff, that has players and a manager that respect the fans and the team plays in red and runs out to the red red robin.
  • all very nice and all that

quite nostalgic but answer the fecking question ;-)

a) Boring prem football

e) no preference, just take what's given and hope the club remains strong, solvent and close with supporters over time. (Barts contribution)
  • a or c for me with some optimism/ ambition that one day we might scrape into Europe or a cup final! But in reality I will stick with Charlton whatever - so the truth is e.
  • B would be good (if we could guarantee it...;o)
  • Have you ever wondered Y people say women cant make up their mind

so far Weegie you have had a,c, and e didnt fancy b or d today :-)
  • b please.
  • Sponsored links:

• i would like to see us playing in the NHL next season - that way i'd get to see a game every now & again
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Have you ever wondered Y people say women cant make up their mind

so far Weegie you have had a,c, and e didnt fancy b or d today :-)

Hegding my bets - ask me again tomorrow and I'll maybe feel more like one of those!
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Would you rather

a) Boring prem football

I will go for

C

just to get back to reality as i feel we were never anything other than good enough to finish 12-15th in the prem.

i would live with a good start avg middle poor back half just escaping

To answer the question I would say C however I would disagree that we were anything other than 12-15th. My personal view is that we had a good oppertunity to establish ourselves but became preoccupied with just staying up rather than pushing on.

Everything got too comfy and we just plodded along getting our 40 pints while comparable teams looked for more and as a result improved.

I think that my real gripe with the Board is that they didn't put enough pressure on Curbishley to improve things. Possibly they didn't back him enough to do any better but the way things were allowed to tail of once we got to 40 points was laughable.

Getting rid of Curbishley and splashing the cash was the right thing to do however I think it's was too late. I think we missed our chance and now we, like most Championship clubs, are so far behind, we would struggle to stay up without huge outside financial investment.
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Everything got too comfy and we just plodded along getting our 40 pints while comparable teams looked for more and as a result improved.
    Like Birmingham? Fulham? Bolton? Wigan? Sunderland?

Birmingham went down before us and it could be the case that two of the other four mentioned go down as well. The league has changed and it is of great importance to get to 40 points as quickly as possible. If you change too many things then they don't have time to settle and voila - we're back in the championship.
  • IMO we do not have the fan base to be anything other than top 10 max due to the amount of money needed for the players you need in a squad to get that consistancy.

You cant just pump money in and in without the season tickets going up to sky high levels just cos we only ge 27k at home for good matches and as low as 24 or 25K against your Wigans,Blackburns

I was always under the view that once we get to 40 then look at what it needs to push on with.
  • the most memorable seasons of being a charlton fan 1974/5, 1980/1, 1999/2000 etc were the promotion years. In order to get promoted you need to be relgated!
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Everything got too comfy and we just plodded along getting our 40 pints while comparable teams looked for more and as a result improved.
    Like Birmingham? Fulham? Bolton? Wigan? Sunderland?

Birmingham went down before us and it could be the case that two of the other four mentioned go down as well. The league has changed and it is of great importance to get to 40 points as quickly as possible. If you change too many things then they don't have time to settle and voila - we're back in the championship.

Agreed WSS but the season shouldn't end when you get to 40 points. I think it was somthing like £500k per finishing place, how much money did we lose out on with our end of season slumps?

I agree that the league has now changed because of the sugar daddy factor, but I still think that we missed a great chance to really establish ourselves 3 or 4 seasons ago and now because of the extra money being pumped into other clubs that chance may not come again.
  • didn't we keep losing the heart of the side every christmas?
  • B+...a couple of years up, then a rip roaring year down....
    :-)

Or is that an F?
  • a ) for me , a nice easy life, no stress just cruising along taking a few scalps on the way ... i've earned enough grey hairs following charlton and would rather relax than stress now at games
  • Sponsored links:

• Option A for me too - at least then I could actually get to see some half reasonable highlights, etc over here...we'll MOTD anyway.
  • C most probably but wouldn't turn down A.
  • f) Winning a Cup competition, instead of concentrating on the league
  • would have to be B i love all the promotion piss ups
  • One small vowell please

e
  • Erm...

Why not Premiership football, trying to get into Europe.

Unrealistic? We were doing it a few years ago and if it's happened once it can happen again.
  • a for me!

I enjoyed the Curbishley years.
  • People seem to forget that we played some pretty good football under Curbs and perhaps his best achievement was to create a good side around 2001 to 03 with players like Robbo, Deano, Rufus, Kins, Jensen, Parker, Di Canio etc - most of whom were automatic selections when fit. If we'd had a striker capable of scoring 15-20 goals a year at that time we probably would have qualified for Europe. As it was when we discovered our 15-20 a year striker the team had broken up and the cost of replacing players of that quality had moved beyond us, meaning we spent the last couple of years in the Prem patching the side up with journeyman players of dubious quality who also lacked a desire to dig deep in adversity.
  • C please - prem footy, but always interesting (and a bit scary)....