Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Birmingham away

Hi all, thought I'd pop this on here for anyone who's not been to Brum before!

I'm going up by train (which is what I imagine most will be doing) and am on the 10:40 from Euston which gets to New Street at just gone 12. I think we're going to head to the Brew Dog pub which is on John Bright Street and is easy to get to from New Street Station. For those who don't know, there are 2 exits from the station, the main one by the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and a second one onto Navigation Street. If you're heading to the Brew Dog pub too, it's the Navigation Street exit that you'll need to head for or else you'll have a bit of a walk. Turn left along Navigation Street and you'll get to the junction with Hill Street, at which there's a pedestrian link to John Bright Street and the pub is just down there. It's no more than a 5 min walk.

It's a fair trek from there to the ground (the ground's a fair trek from anywhere to be honest), so we may jump in a cab as they are pretty cheap in Brum!

Comments

• Does it do any decent food - would be nice to find a pub that does decent beer and decent food
  • Went to a Brewdog pub for the first time before Cardiff and it was brilliant !

We'll go there and probably the Old Post Office Vaults right next to the station which we discovered last time, highly reccomended if you like good beer !
  • New Street station is a massive building site at the moment. Been to that Brew Dog, not the Old Post Office Vaults so might check it out!
  • No idea about the food to be honest - most places have a decent enough menu, but can't be sure. There's plenty of places about though. Not too far from the Brew Dog is a Wetherspoons - The Briar Rose on Bennetts Hill - nothing amazing, but you know what you'll get!

Weirdly I was at uni in Birmingham for 3 years and never tried the Vaults - heard good reviews about it though!
  • Funnily enough, my first visit to St Andrew's since a certain special night in 1987. Coming cross country and arriving New Street about 11:20 so also looking for food was going to just hit 'spoons but might try those two. Anyone else arriving before 12?
  • CatAddick said:

Funnily enough, my first visit to St Andrew's since a certain special night in 1987. Coming cross country and arriving New Street about 11:20 so also looking for food was going to just hit 'spoons but might try those two. Anyone else arriving before 12?

I think our train gets in at 11.57 or something like that
  • CatAddick said:

Funnily enough, my first visit to St Andrew's since a certain special night in 1987. Coming cross country and arriving New Street about 11:20 so also looking for food was going to just hit 'spoons but might try those two. Anyone else arriving before 12?

think we get there about 10.
  • Arriving at half 11 cheap as chips this away day by train
  • Thanks for the info; first time to St Andrews. Getting into New Street at half 11.
  • CatAddick said:

think we get there about 10.
    Bloody hell !
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't get there until 1, but then I'm going drinking after the game and will take the last Virgin train back (21:30)
  • We're going out after as well - Canal Side Cafe past the Mailbox is a cracking place. Then we'll just find somewhere to go on Broad Street, I think.
  • Looking at internet
    Brew Dog doesn't open til 12.
    Vaults is open at 11; they don't serve food but you can eat your own in there
    Probably hit one or both of these
  • We're going out after as well - Canal Side Cafe past the Mailbox is a cracking place. Then we'll just find somewhere to go on Broad Street, I think.

That's a nice place, hopefully the weather won't be too wet
  • I'm going today.

Can't beat a nice summer holiday in Birmingham.
  • Presumably I can get tickets on the door at St Andrews?
  • Presumably I can get tickets on the door at St Andrews?

Yes
  • Crisis as I've suddenly come to the realisation that I may be going to this game alone. I might put on my Charlton top in hope that someone punches me and livens up my day.
  • Crisis as I've suddenly come to the realisation that I may be going to this game alone. I might put on my Charlton top in hope that someone punches me and livens up my day.

I reckon you'll be out of luck, but you can try singing that Birmingham's a shithole - they like that one.
  • Anyway, think I might give the Scottish pub a miss. I've got my eye on those moody looking Irish pubs/social clubs on the route. The buildings look so grumpy that I wonder what the clientele are like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ive done a couple of those moody looking Irish pubs. Clientele age range from 90 to 20 from what I remember.
  • IA said:

Anyway, think I might give the Scottish pub a miss. I've got my eye on those moody looking Irish pubs/social clubs on the route. The buildings look so grumpy that I wonder what the clientele are like.

The boozers on the Digbeth Road are alright.
  • Am I the only one driving up and having to give the beer a swerve? On my own too, as my usual sidekick can't make it.
  • IA said:

The Anchor is Good.
  • Davo55 said:

Am I the only one driving up and having to give the beer a swerve? On my own too, as my usual sidekick can't make it.

Nope, I am too
  • Got rail tickets, really can't be arsed to go. See how I feel in the morning. Is Morrison likely to be playing does anyone know?
  • IA said:

The Anchor is Good.
    We're looking to go in there after the game.
  • If anyone is heading up to today's game without a ticket, I have 4 spares going. Error from the ticket office. Don't want anything for them and will meet at the ground before the game.

I'll check back on here at about 10-11 to see if there are any takers, but can't promise I'll be on here again after that!
  • Just on train to Waterloo East. Croydon, I'll have one off you mate if still available
  • Croydon I have sent you a pm.